NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Dean

Default Shipping, Insurance, etc.

The "Cards You've Taken out of Existence" thread got me wondering about shipping damage and insurance. I've shipped fairly valuable electronics gear for years without issue, but was always concerned about insurance claims - would shipper honor claim or blame poor packaging; would they replace or provide some lower cash value...Lots of horror stories out there.

So, I have to wonder how it works with baseball cards. Does the USPS or Fed-Ex just trust your insurance value if the package disappears or is somehow damaged? Does it matter if you are shipping raw cards or graded? or if you packed them yourself or had them "professionally" packed?

Hoping to come away with some Best Practices here, as I know many of you regularly ship valuable cards.

Thanks.

my eBay auctions
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Generally

Generally I will overnight expensive cards and skip the insurance, on a personal basis. I usually don't buy insurance on smaller dollar cards but always use delivery confirmation or signature confirmation. Unless an item is under about $50 and going to a friend, I always get some kind of confirmation.

For our auction company we use CIA insurance. We have had 1 small claim and it was fine.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Val Kehl

Hi Dean - Earlier this year I had to file a claim with the USPS to obtain an insurance recovery for a card (actually a T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamp) that I sold to a fellow Net 54er that never reached it's destination. In addition to completing the required paperwork, I had to submit documentation to support the amount of insurance recovery I was claiming. I submitted the emails I exchanged with the purchaser, which contained the price he agreed to pay, and the USPS paid my claim on a timely basis. However, if I had insured the card for more than a value I could document, as I understand it, the USPS would not have paid me the full amount of the insurance I purchased.
Val
Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Generally I will overnight expensive cards and skip the insurance, on a personal basis. I usually don't buy insurance on smaller dollar cards but always use delivery confirmation or signature confirmation. Unless an item is under about $50 and going to a friend, I always get some kind of confirmation.

For our auction company we use CIA insurance. We have had 1 small claim and it was fine.
Thanks Leon. I usually use delivery confirmation as well, as it at least lets you know if the package made it to the destination.

my eBay auctions
Old 07-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Hi Dean - Earlier this year I had to file a claim with the USPS to obtain an insurance recovery for a card (actually a T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamp) that I sold to a fellow Net 54er that never reached it's destination. In addition to completing the required paperwork, I had to submit documentation to support the amount of insurance recovery I was claiming. I submitted the emails I exchanged with the purchaser, which contained the price he agreed to pay, and the USPS paid my claim on a timely basis. However, if I had insured the card for more than a value I could document, as I understand it, the USPS would not have paid me the full amount of the insurance I purchased.
Val
Thanks Val, good anecdote. I'm glad to hear that the USPS allows you to submit evidence to support your claim. Makes sense that they won't cover insurance above actual value. I was more concerned that they wouldn't believe a piece of cardboard was worth hundreds of dollars (or more).

my eBay auctions