NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Default raw card grading in ebay listings

I received this ebay PM for a card I bought 2 weeks ago.

"I can't believe you left the seller who sold you the card glowing feedback. He described the card as EX+, when AT BEST the card is a GOOD/VG (PSA 2/3). It is sellers like that who gives honest sellers a bad name."

IMO, I don't put much stock in raw card grading, usually it is better than the card actually is. The picture showed it was GOOD/VD quality. What I bought the card for was a good deal based on it being GOOD so I was happy with the transation.

Should I have left feedback that the description was wrong and risk negetive feedback on my account?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

It isn't worth it. If you're happy with the purchase than don't risk the negative.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Robert Williams

I am guilty of leaving the PM....maybe I shouldn't stick my nose in other people's business. It just that there was a WHOLE THREAD on this exact board based on this clown, who bought an SGC 2 (GD) and cracked it out and sold it raw and promoted it as being a 5+. Someone else brought it to my attention and it infuriates me when someone is selling a card as a 5+ when you can tell by the scan that it is not better than a 2. It makes all of the honest sellers look bad when some idiot is doing that.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 AM

I agree that a lot of EBAY grading is way high and it hurts sellers like bobby that honesty rate their cards.

The other problem with Ebay is 1 neg feedback screws buyers/sellers. I tread lightly when risking a return neg feedback.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Sellers can no longer leave buyers a negative feedback. This has been that way for quite some time.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keating3620 View Post
I agree that a lot of EBAY grading is way high and it hurts sellers like bobby that honesty rate their cards.
This is a joke, right?

Perhaps you should read this:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=126898
Old 07-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Robert Williams

David, YOU are a joke right?!?!?!?! I didn't get to 6,000 by screwing people over.....

http://shop.ebay.com/tarheeltreasure..._from=&_ipg=25
Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Bobby, this isn't a joke, these are the FACTS:

• You sent in a '55 Bowman Willie Mays to PSA to be graded and it came back EOT.
• Then you tried to sell it raw on eBay without disclosing the fact that it was trimmed.
• When the buyer wanted to return it, you started threads on the PSA boards and Net54 looking for advice on accepting returns of raw cards.
• Everybody told you that you should accept the return.
• You were asked if you attempted to have it graded before you sold it and you said no.
• Then it was found out later that you did attempt to have it graded, so you lied.

Did I miss anything/leave anything out? If the events I stated above aren't true, please tell me where I have it wrong.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 07-25-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Robert Williams

I made an honest to goodness mistake on one single solitary card. Out of 6,000 transactions, I made a mistake on ONE card!!!! You will never let me live that down, will you David?!?! You know what they say about people and glass houses, don't you buddy boy?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:33 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Getting back to the original question posed in this thread...

It's an interesting question. If I bought a card described as EX+ and it arrived GD/VG, I would probably ask to return it. And I would either leave no feedback, or pehaps a neutral (based on how the seller responded). I would also describe the problem in the brief number of words Ebay gives you.

Ebay has come pretty close to rendering their feedback feature useless, and this is one of the last ways to exert some influence with regard to potential future bidders.

Anyway, I would never give glowing / positive feedback to a seller who misrepresented a card that severely (raw or otherwise).
Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Ebay has come pretty close to rendering their feedback feature useless, and this is one of the last ways to exert some influence with regard to potential future bidders.

I got my very first negative feedback a few days ago from a newbie buyer who was evidently pleased with her purchase, but still left a negative..I've tried to contact her, but she won't answer my emails...I called ebay and they said I can send her a revision form, but I can only do this once so they said I should make contact with her first to see if she made a mistake before doing so. I guess I'm just stuck with her negative even though the guy on the phone at ebay told me it does look like she mistakenly gave me the neg...ebay sucks.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Alan U

When buying raw cards from sellers I'm not familiar with I usually expect them to be at least a grade lower than stated and bid accordingly. If I'm still not happy with the card when it arrives I'll ask for a refund.

If it is a grade or two lower than stated in the auction, but I'm still satisfied I will just leave positive feedback stating something like "Quick shipping, card was a grade lower than stated in auction"

At least this way if future buyers look at the feedback they will know what to expect.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Read the text for flaws

Honestly I only look at the description for details of the flaws of a card, then reference the scan(s) and assume the worst. Since I generally only buy low-mid range cards, this works for me.

That said, I would opt to leave no feedback over a negative given the scenario presented in this thread.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That stinks, Dan!

I had an issue with Ebay last week, and it took me over 45 minutes just to track down a phone number for customer service (the issue was not resolvable via email). I must have clicked every "Help" "Security" and "Safe Harbor" link they have, before finally discovering the hidden path to the sunken treasure (meaning a simple phone number for customer service).

They seem to try to make it as difficult as possible to handle routine matters that would be a "piece of cake" for any other company. It's a sadistic cross between an obstacle course and a Hamster's wheel.

Last edited by perezfan; 07-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Dan Bretta

I've now figured out how to find their phone number within seconds. Click on Customer Support..then click on Contact Us...then click on Account Safety and a "Call Us" button will appear...click that and they will give you a pin number. Doesn't matter what your problem or question is the agent will just ask you how they can help you.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I'd give Bobby a break on that. He's admitted making a mistake. Let it be. It happens to everyone. It's the sellers who habitually do this that need to be called out, and not honest sellers. I made a mistake myself just a week ago when I re-listed a 28 Exhibits Frank Frisch card two weeks after I had already sold and shipped the card. I had hit my 50 free listing limit midway through listing my 28 Exhibits, so I didn't realize that this was one of the last cards that I listed the previous month. And I was careless when I did the new listings. Luckily the new buyer understood, and didn't neg me, when some others probably would have.

I've had a negative reversed before. I suspected it might have been in error, so I messaged the buyer with the mea culpa that I saw the negative and was relatively new at selling, so I wanted to know what I did wrong so I could improve my practices in the future. The buyer then said he made a mistake in the feedback and agreed to reverse it.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Gary,

I see what you're saying, but there really isn't a similarity. Yours was a mistake. Bobby was specifically asked if he ever attempted to have the card graded. He said no. When he was called out on it, that's when he "suddenly" remembered.

I’ve submitted hundreds of cards over the years to both PSA and SGC. I’ve only had 4 cards ever rejected for EOT. I still remember all 4 – year, brand and player. Bobby lists a lot of cards and I can understand the possibility of it slipping his mind. However, when he was asked about it, it should have triggered his memory. It would mine. No excuses!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I've now figured out how to find their phone number within seconds. Click on Customer Support..then click on Contact Us...then click on Account Safety and a "Call Us" button will appear...click that and they will give you a pin number. Doesn't matter what your problem or question is the agent will just ask you how they can help you.
Great to know... thanks Dan!