NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default What's a good "first" vintage set to collect?

Hey all,

I used to only collect modern cards, before moving to memorabilia, line-up cards and autographed baseballs over the last couple of years.

Spending time on this site I've come to appreciate vintage more, but I've been somewhat intimidated.

Looking through some auction catalogs I've wanted to try my hand at vintage but am not sure where to start and was hoping for some advice.

I'd love any advice or guidance that anyone has, and particularly thoughts on a set that would make sense to target.

I've come up with some basic criteria for a set:
1) Good looking cards (major criteria for me on this are images that really look like the player)
2) Big name players (would like a set that includes some of the classic names like Ruth, Cobb, Mathewson etc... doesn't have to have all of these guys specifically, but those kinds of players) edit: I took out Gehrig who is not from the same era)
3) Following up on the list before, I'd like cards from the player's playing days
4) Fairly simple set. I've read many posts about the different backs and the like to some of the sets and it makes things way too overwhelming for me at this point. I'd like something a little easier to follow.
5) Set that's not overly expensive

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 03-20-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Clift0n Johns0n

Check out '33 Goudey. Lots of HOFs including Ruth and Gehrig. In fact, 4 different Ruths. Attractive, classic set.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Steven

Unless you want to get into exhibits or strip cards you'll have a hard time finding Wagner and Gehrig in the same set, don't even think they overlap in those 2 though. The big 4 of the deadball butt up against Ruth starting out with some small overlap. I think e120 and 121 have a bunch of the HOFers but the price has risen substantially in the last few years.

I'm a Cracker Jack guy, no Ruth but the big 4 are there plus Jackson but its not a cheap set.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I appreciate the comments. I took out Gehrig because I think I'm leaning earlier than that. Guys like Mathewson, Cobb, Cy Young etc.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
I appreciate the comments. I took out Gehrig because I think I'm leaning earlier than that. Guys like Mathewson, Cobb, Cy Young etc.
T201 leaps to mind.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Unless you want to get into exhibits or strip cards you'll have a hard time finding Wagner and Gehrig in the same set, don't even think they overlap in those 2 though. The big 4 of the deadball butt up against Ruth starting out with some small overlap. I think e120 and 121 have a bunch of the HOFers but the price has risen substantially in the last few years.

I'm a Cracker Jack guy, no Ruth but the big 4 are there plus Jackson but its not a cheap set.
I had not thought I'd go for a black and white set, but the E120 & E121 sets are pretty nice, and the prices don't seem too crazy (compared to some other sets.) Both are larger than some of the other options, so may start with smaller ones, but thanks for mentioning them!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoudeyGum View Post
Check out '33 Goudey. Lots of HOFs including Ruth and Gehrig. In fact, 4 different Ruths. Attractive, classic set.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Definitely a beautiful set! I think it's probably larger than I'd want to try and tackle as a first set, but maybe one day...
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Whenever I see a post like this, I almost always point to the early caramel sets, particularly the e93 set. Being only 30 cards, the set is small enough that it can be easily put together on a budget. The set is also packed with HOFers (18 out of the 30) highlighted by Cobb, Wagner, Mathewson, Plank, and Young. In lower condition but still presentable, you should be able to complete it for under $5k without much trouble. Other similar sets would be E95 or E92 Dockman or E101.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Whenever I see a post like this, I almost always point to the early caramel sets, particularly the e93 set. Being only 30 cards, the set is small enough that it can be easily put together on a budget. The set is also packed with HOFers (18 out of the 30) highlighted by Cobb, Wagner, Mathewson, Plank, and Young. In lower condition but still presentable, you should be able to complete it for under $5k without much trouble. Other similar sets would be E95 or E92 Dockman or E101.

DJ
I took a look at the E93 and E95 sets and the Mathewson E92 Dockman is one of the nicest vintage cards I've ever seen. Those all look like they might be promising choices. It looks like the E92 so is a bit larger than other the other 2 if I'm understanding it right.

Other than condition concerns, is there anything to note about those sets?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
I took a look at the E93 and E95 sets and the Mathewson E92 Dockman is one of the nicest vintage cards I've ever seen. Those all look like they might be promising choices. It looks like the E92 so is a bit larger than other the other 2 if I'm understanding it right.

Other than condition concerns, is there anything to note about those sets?

Thanks!
For the e92s, just stick to the Dockman backs. The Dockman set is 40 cards. The other backs add more cards. The drawback to just doing the Dockmans is that you lose a few HOFers particularly Cobb, 1 Bender, and Collins. Otherwise, it is pretty straight forward. If you start looking at the other backs (crofts candy, cocoa, nadja) it will get quite pricey and extremely challenging/nearly impossible.

The E93/E95 sets are pretty straight forward. Neither have any shortprints or anything odd. The E95 Plank is he same basic portrait as the the T206 so it is fairly popular.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
For the e92s, just stick to the Dockman backs. The Dockman set is 40 cards. The other backs add more cards. The drawback to just doing the Dockmans is that you lose a few HOFers particularly Cobb, 1 Bender, and Collins. Otherwise, it is pretty straight forward. If you start looking at the other backs (crofts candy, cocoa, nadja) it will get quite pricey and extremely challenging/nearly impossible.

The E93/E95 sets are pretty straight forward. Neither have any shortprints or anything odd. The E95 Plank is he same basic portrait as the the T206 so it is fairly popular.

DJ
Great info, thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:10 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

As for great photos and affordability I think a run at w517s would be fun and is on my list in the future.

It's a strip set, so the purists may avoid it, but I am a big fan as the photo quality is top notch compared to the cards of the era. The 2 Ruths and Gehrig are the only real intimidating ones and they are not that pricey if you watch auctions. Tons of HOF members in this one.

Here's the database entry if you are unfamiliar - http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewAllSet.cfm/sid/84235

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
I've come up with some basic criteria for a set:
1) Good looking cards (major criteria for me on this are images that really look like the player)
2) Big name players (would like a set that includes some of the classic names like Ruth, Cobb, Mathewson etc... doesn't have to have all of these guys specifically, but those kinds of players) edit: I took out Gehrig who is not from the same era)
3) Following up on the list before, I'd like cards from the player's playing days
4) Fairly simple set. I've read many posts about the different backs and the like to some of the sets and it makes things way too overwhelming for me at this point. I'd like something a little easier to follow.
5) Set that's not overly expensive
The others can be done, but that last one is tough. To meet those other criteria, even in a low-mid condition you are going into the thousands after the Stars are added. How many thousands are you willing to state is not "overly expensive" and what condition is important to you?

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:31 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
The others can be done, but that last one is tough. To meet those other criteria, even in a low-mid condition you are going into the thousands after the Stars are added. How many thousands are you willing to state is not "overly expensive" and what condition is important to you?
For now I'm thinking a couple thousand or so. If I can find a set that seems a safe bet to hold its value and/or appreciate a bit, that would make it a little easier.

Regarding condition, some of it will depend on the set (I've noticed some sets it seems like a PSA 4-5 is not crazy expensive, while others the price is already pretty high at a PSA 2.) I think the key will be visual appeal, so a light crease or even some paper missing but overall nice looking card would probably be find for me, even if the grade is low.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Gary McNabb

Default Collecting vintage

I have what collectors call a team, type collection. The team I chose is the NY Highlander/Yankees, I have cards up into the 1950's but mostly focus between 1903 to 1930. This type of collection I can enjoy searching and finding the many different manufactures and makers of so many different types of cards. some collectors just have a type collection and try to find as many different kinds and not focus on a team......just one choice. The biggest thrill is the hunt and the discovery of a card you have been looking for !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/554519474738304/

Last edited by garymc; 03-20-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:42 AM
Danny Gabel

Default :)

Did this post make your decision a lot harder now? especially with a lot of knowledge and different taste.

You guys are tempting me to do another set now but no no, I'm sticking to what I want to do first!

Im doing E-91 A right now. They aren't not easy to find as B and C set.

Good luck and I look forward to your choice and first card to see how much it bitted you.

Best,
DG
Always buying Deaf Sports related, William Hoy, Luther Taylor, George Kihm, Grover Alexander, Dick Sipek, Curtis Pride, Carlton Molesworth, Lou Burdette, Gil McDougald, Ralph Lin Weber, Gallaudet University

Set
1909 E-91A (23/33)
1993 Topps Finest Refractor (109/199)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSports View Post
Did this post make your decision a lot harder now? especially with a lot of knowledge and different taste.

You guys are tempting me to do another set now but no no, I'm sticking to what I want to do first!

Im doing E-91 A right now. They aren't not easy to find as B and C set.

Good luck and I look forward to your choice and first card to see how much it bitted you.

Best,
DG
it definitely did, but it also help eliminate a couple of options that I had considered in favor of other options that fit my interests more.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:56 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

T205's are cheap and look great. Plus no real counterfeit worries thanks to the borders.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:07 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

If 1948 Bowman qualifies as vintage I think it's a great starter set. It can be easily completed and an entire set in say psa 5 can had within your price range and there are many notable rookies. Knock it off the list then move onto something more challenging if you have the bug.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 03-22-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:16 PM

How good these suggestions depends a lot on how limited your budget is. Delongs, for example, are wonderful cards, but price that Gehrig before you dive into it. An actual budget range would probably elicit more helpful suggestions.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
How good these suggestions depends a lot on how limited your budget is. Delongs, for example, are wonderful cards, but price that Gehrig before you dive into it. An actual budget range would probably elicit more helpful suggestions.
I mentioned it in a thread earlier, but I was thinking a set that I could reasonably attempt for $2-$5K (although the number would depend on how slowly I build it).

While a few of the posts were sets I could not really consider, all of them have taught me about the different options and highlighting some of the strongest elements and weakest elements of different sets.

Right now the set I'm leaning towards most is probably the 1921 Exhibits which would likely stretch the budget in all but the worst condition, but hits on some of the other points nicely and is really beautiful IMO.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

1936 Goudey, small in size, a little offbeat and a good trial run for a longer set.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
1936 Goudey, small in size, a little offbeat and a good trial run for a longer set.
Like Dave mentioned, this would make a good trial run for collecting vintage sets.

A couple of additional points about this set--the cards are as inexpensive as 1930's issues get, have pretty decent black and white photos, and if you wanted to you could complete it in under a month, as they are readily available.

Brian