NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Dan Green

Default shill bidding, anybody had any luck getting sellers stopped?

I was bidding on some ebay items and have noticed what I believe is blatant shill bidding. Obviously I won't be bidding with this seller any longer, but has anybody had any luck getting ebay to take action? It's been a while since I tried to get ebay to do something about shill bidding but as I recall i didn't have any luck. Just wondered if anybody had any suggestions. below are 2 links to the same item (one active, one closed) The "winner" from the first time is bidding on the current card...and is also bidding on most of the seller's active auctions.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11002...AA%3AUS%3A3160

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Topps-S...item2c6335a6b0
Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Al Richter

Default Shilling

In regard to ebay, I try to avoid that issue by bidding only by snipes.

By the way, note the little blue square printers mark in the lower left front border. Most of the Banks cards do not have it. Also, if you search the Banks listings regularly on ebay you will on occasion find one with SEC 1 printed on the bottom. This is apparently a recurring print defect since I have seen several ( Have one) and they are all the same

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 PM

Yes, great example of blatant shill bidding. Seller was able to have an effective reserve of $99, and netted more than $100 by not letting the first auction finish fairly. Do you think that he/she had the audacity to file as canceled transaction with eBay (to get the fees returned), in which case eBay has even more evidence of the shill (i.e. winner of auction 1 wanted a refund, yet bid more in the 2nd auction on the same item) -- would that be how it works?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

The best evidence is that the shill account with a positive feedback of (1) has the following 30 day history:

Total bids overall: 455
Items bid on overall: 126
Bid activity (%) with this seller (schmitys): 72%

No one active bidder would ever be so loyal to a single seller of baseball cards --- there are simply too many on eBay.

If you file a report with eBay on these auctions, you should expect the following:

1) A call back from an eBay representative (usually within 48 hours) to get your clear, verbal explanation as to why you believe that there was shill bidding in an auction in which you participated.

2) In a case like this, it will quickly become obvious to the eBay representative that the Seller is using the (1)-rating account to bid up the auction to an effective reserve level (as noted by the previous poster). As such, if you won the auction, eBay will give you the option to either purchase the card for the winning price, or to walk away from the auction without having to face a non-paying bidder mark to your record. It's best not to pay as the Seller will be banned / suspended and you may end up with a transaction in dispute where the Seller never ships the card.

3) eBay will not inform you of the outcome of the case (privacy reasons). However, if you check the Seller again within 24 hours, you'll see that his account has either been banned or suspended.

4) eBay will turn over the evidence to the appropriate authorities and the Seller will face potential fines and / or jail time.

5) You will remain anonymous. eBay will not inform the Seller that you filed the report.

SHILL BIDDING IS A CRIME ! (DON'T SHILL !) Numerous sellers on eBay are prosecuted each year for shill bidding on their own auctions or arranging others to do so. Here's a link to just one example (there are many more):

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y04/m11/i09/s03