NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Brandon

Default Net 54 Banner

Can we put a banner at the top of this forum that says "If you agree to a purchase, you are obligated to follow through on said purchase, no matter what."

I feel like this would eliminate most of the drama on this forum.

Last edited by Seattle799; 05-25-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 PM
"Bud"
Banned

I think that's a great idea. I have people backing out constantly on FleaBay, I'm sure it's a problem here too.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

NO we aren't putting a banner up for common sense. I want to know about any deal on this board that gets backed out of. If no money changed hands and no card shipped, and it only happens once with a member, then it's probably not an issue. If it happens with any board member more than once, and I find out about it, then they might not be on our BST anymore. As for saying that you are sure it is a problem here, you are dead wrong. As far as I know it isn't. (and I would probably know as I get a ton of PMs)
And to the original poster, if you know how to post a thread then you know how to PM me. If someone backs out of a deal, please let me know..and that goes for everyone. thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Rob

Default T213-1 LaPorte

An old school, highly respected member pm'd that he thinks Leon or ScottB has a T213-1 LaPorte. I replied that there is no way Leon would do that, but ScottB might. I said I send stuff to those guys for their auctions, I don't think they are holding out on me... If you are...I have stuff to trade....
Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_7 View Post
I think that's a great idea. I have people backing out constantly on FleaBay, I'm sure it's a problem here too.
Buying and selling here for five years. Never had a single issue. Actually heard of very very very few.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 AM
"Bud"
Banned

Not implying that it does take place with any regularity, but no open sales forum is completely free of this practice taking place. I collect coins as well and it's happened a few times on those forums in which I've had collector coins up for sale.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_7 View Post
With only 25 posts I would watch what I say regarding your sure it happens here, Leon runs a great site hear along with the moderators help, this site is highly respected in the hobby and making a statement like that, I think you owe him an apology.
Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 05-26-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default It has happened before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdodger55 View Post
With only 25 posts I would watch what I say regarding your sure it happens here, Leon runs a great site hear along with the moderators help, this site is highly respected in the hobby and making a statement like that, I think you owe him an apology.
Mike
Mike,

I think his choice of words was not correct as it isn't a "problem" on the BST, but I know for a fact that it has happened and Leon took corrective action immediately. The member was suspended from participating in the BST, was was still able to contribute to the forum. I believe his suspension has been lifted now.

Leon does run one of the best forums around which is why it is so popular and why I'm a member. You can take all the precautions in the world to minimize, but nothing is 100% fool proof.

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 05-26-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 AM
pete ullman

In over 30-40 transactions on the bst I've had one guy reneg on a deal...and he had a history of that so poor judgment on my part.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
An old school, highly respected member pm'd that he thinks Leon or ScottB has a T213-1 LaPorte. I replied that there is no way Leon would do that, but ScottB might. I said I send stuff to those guys for their auctions, I don't think they are holding out on me... If you are...I have stuff to trade....
I was unaware that I might have a card that was a subject of investigation. Upon checking I do not have a T213-1 LaPorte, only have a Beals Becker left. We have sold several type 1's in the past auctions, it's possible it was sold there.

Upon checking the auction history, about 12 type 1 coupons, no LaPorte.

Last edited by sb1; 05-26-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Jeff

Literally hundreds of BST transactions over the years (98% as a buyer), not one single issue.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I was unaware that I might have a card that was a subject of investigation. Upon checking I do not have a T213-1 LaPorte, only have a Beals Becker left. We have sold several type 1's in the past auctions, it's possible it was sold there.

Upon checking the auction history, about 12 type 1 coupons, no LaPorte.
For the record I don't have one either, for sale or in my collection.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle799 View Post
Can we put a banner at the top of this forum that says "If you agree to a purchase, you are obligated to follow through on said purchase, no matter what."
How odd that such a banner would even be required!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Tony Quinn

Bought and sold MANY items through the B/S/T and never 1 problem. Most trustworthy bunch of guys here I have ever dealt with. I always list my stuff here before ebay because it's such a great site. Thanks to Leon and all the others for providing a great forum for real collectors.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdodger55 View Post
Mike
+1
Old 05-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Rob

Scott,

I appreciate it. Y'all run a great auction. I was trying to be a comedian. I think I may start collecting Piedmont 350 Factory 25 cards so that I can actually find the cards.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Brandon

I started this thread, and it wasn't a serious suggestion. I was just poking fun at some of the drama that's been going on lately.

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate well in plain text
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
I started this thread, and it wasn't a serious suggestion. I was just poking fun at some of the drama that's been going on lately.

If you're going to be sarcastic, a service I offer for free btw, be sure to make liberal use of these -

Those help with the translation.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

I sometimes feel there is an art to communicating on a chat board. Had you said something like....

With reference to the latest drama on the board, can we have a banner that says "If you agree to a purchase, you are obligated to follow through on said purchase, no matter what."

it probably would have been taken a bit differently, from me too. (note smiley face to denote "playfullness")

And thanks again for your PM with conciliatory thoughts. The other mods and I endeavor to make the BST the safest place on the internet to transact antiquities in the hobby, all with almost no written rules. With thousands of people (our members) watching it is very difficult for rats to proliferate. I tend to think of our BST as one of the strongest parts of our board. I am quite sure there are a ton of folks that feel the same way. Hopefully it stays that way. Now back to the drama.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:38 AM
De.rek Pul.atie

What about when someone at a show says they want the card and will be back to buy it and they never come back?
That seems to be a problem at shows.
Also I think leon has this undercontrol on his site. It's a well run site for sure!! Great place here.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The 'T213-1 LaPorte' stuff went over my head. What's that all about?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Bought and sold MANY items through the B/S/T and never 1 problem. Most trustworthy bunch of guys here I have ever dealt with. I always list my stuff here before ebay because it's such a great site. Thanks to Leon and all the others for providing a great forum for real collectors.

+1. Never a problem in all the years that I can remember, either selling or buying.