NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Default Incredible eBay find that never materialized (newly discovered info on 6/26!!!)

This happened a little while ago, and I never planned to post about it here, but after being encouraged by a fellow board member, I've decided to go ahead and share my story.

About a month ago, I spotted a dream card of mine on eBay for a price that I couldn't believe. A 1907 Dietsche postcard Cobb Batting PSA 2.5 for $1200. What luck, I thought to myself, as I purchased and paid for it via a Buy-It-Now listing. About 20 minutes later, I even got a shipping notice and a tracking number! I was excited beyond belief!

It was only 10 minutes later that reality struck and the seller cancelled the sale. I asked the seller why my order was cancelled, and the reply was that their kids jumped on and damaged both the PSA case, as well as the card itself in the process.

Of course I didn't believe a word of it, and had some choice words for the seller. Needless to say, I left negative feedback and just decided to move on, chalking it up to bad luck.

In my opinion, what happened was that someone contacted the seller immediately after I made the purchase and offered considerably more. After all, the card is probably worth north of $3000. Maybe even $4000. No matter - it's the seller's job to research and price the item accordingly.

This is why I'd like for everyone here to know that the seller, maxcollector69, is very dishonest. I do hope they are not a member of Net54. I'm sure the dishonest buyer will also not let themselves be known.

This also goes to show that outing an eBay listing that recently ended is a very bad idea. There are lots of greedy a-holes out there that will try their best to snatch that great deal away from you. As in my case, they sometimes succeed.

Link to the original listing, which sold on 5/12/18
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253618997568

6/26/18 UPDATE - the card was relisted on eBay by showpiecessports for $5995. Linked below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123214423640

Last edited by sterlingfox; 06-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Robert Williams

Tough break on the card. I'll have to take your word that it's worth that much, because I'm looking on VCP and I don't see it being worth $4,000+.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:26 PM
Sean Costello

This same thing happened a few years ago with a T206 Lenox and an a__hole seller on eBay. The seller had a store in Texas, I think it was called Battersbox.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost out on your card. I hate it when a third party jumps in and messes up a deal.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:31 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Tough break on the card. I'll have to take your word that it's worth that much, because I'm looking on VCP and I don't see it being worth $4,000+.
A very recent REA sale of an SGC 20 with heavy creasing went for $3300.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfox View Post
And PWCC had a SGC 40 sale for $2,500 recently. The prices are all over the place on the card. But yes, someone shouldn't have messed with your auction.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:38 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
And PWCC had a SGC 40 sale for $2,500 recently. The prices are all over the place on the card. But yes, someone shouldn't have messed with your auction.
Agreed, but I do think that the market has shifted a bit on this card in the 3 short months between those 2 comps.

It seems to be taking a similar road as the '25 Exhibits Gehrig - becoming more accepted in the hobby as a rookie card (along with the fielding pose).

Last edited by sterlingfox; 06-11-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

A PSA Authentic sold in May REA's auction for $4200. I just paid $2k for an SGC 10... At any rate, that is not cool.... I'm sorry the seller did that, he screwed up, but that should be his loss and not yours. I won't be buying anything from him, so thank you for letting me know.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:39 PM
Aaron

Quote:
Did the crease look like it had been caused by kids jumping on it?
Old 06-11-2018, 01:41 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansaad View Post
They are 2 completely different cards. The REA sale happened before this card was offered for sale.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:43 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

even worse when you find it was a friend (former) and N54 member (current) who contacted the seller

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-11-2018, 01:47 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Old 06-11-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Under no circumstances should anyone ever store graded cards on top of trampolines. However, raw is okay.

Brian
Old 07-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
I remember when I bought the batting Dietsche pose in PSA VgEx (graded that low only because of a light water mark on the back--the card looked every bit of ExMt+ on the front and otherwise!) for $1900 some years ago, and the tougher fielding pose in PSA 5 for $4,000 in 2011. How things have changed!

Happy collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-02-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:40 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

sorry to hear that happened to you but is that card really a $3k card??? It seems like only a couple years ago I bought a PSA 4 off ebay for UNDER $1K
Old 07-02-2018, 07:24 AM

I was thinking, what about ebay finds that did materialize, I'd like to hear some of those stories.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Materialized Finds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidlisa View Post
I was thinking, what about ebay finds that did materialize, I'd like to hear some of those stories.

about eight years ago this was in a ten-day auction and spent the whole ten days titled "Greemberg"....final price was a bit over $200 because of shipping from Canada....don't hate me...

Old 07-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

about eight years ago this was in a ten-day auction and spent the whole ten days titled "Greemberg"....final price was a bit over $200 because of shipping from Canada....don't hate me...

I would have been sweating that till I opened the package. Nice deal.

In the younger days of Ebay (before the redirection to correct spellings) I had many good deals looking under Micky Mantle, Mickey Mantel, Hank Aron, Hank Arron, and tons of other misspellings. You just don't see them much anymore.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.