NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Steven

Default So what will you do different at next years National?

My biggest change for Cleveland, next year, is that I want to stay at least a couple nights, not the drive there and back in a day. This year I only had Wednesday and I went way too fast, talked to few and really missed out on seeing some people as I was like a pogo-stick from table to table in my own little world. I do like my own little world, but would have liked to meet and catch up with some folks. With more time next year I will be able to go thru more cards, cards just to look at and be able just to take the whole thing in.

Any changes for anyone else?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Daryl

Bring more money?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Never been to a National in Cleveland. What are some of the nicer hotels that are close or connected to the Convention Center?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Will visit the Rock n Roll Museum this time
Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 AM
pete ullman

the only thing I will do differently would be to actually leave the vicinity of the national and explore!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'll start off by GOING! I loved seeing and hearing everyone's adventures

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I'll start off by GOING! I loved seeing and hearing everyone's adventures
I'm in the same boat - next year will be the first year that I attend the National.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 AM

This was my first year going and I went Friday and Saturday. Next year thinking of going Wed-Fri instead. Also next year Im going to throw more offers to people with high prices on there cards. Friday I just put them down or walked away when I got a price that was double its worth, but Saturday I made offers and it worked some and bombed other times but worth it overall.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 AM

I would love to be there next year. I'm going to the East Coast National next week, but it's nothing in comparison. Cleveland is a weird city. I've never seen so many buildings boarded up in what is suppsoed to be downtown. But I'd like to be there all the same.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 AM
pete ullman

I won't bring so much cash next time either...as I hardly spent any!!!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
My biggest change for Cleveland, next year, is that I want to stay at least a couple nights, not the drive there and back in a day. This year I only had Wednesday and I went way too fast, talked to few and really missed out on seeing some people as I was like a pogo-stick from table to table in my own little world. I do like my own little world, but would have liked to meet and catch up with some folks. With more time next year I will be able to go thru more cards, cards just to look at and be able just to take the whole thing in.
I agree with this!! Before last year, I had always done 1 day trips. Since Baltimore was farther, I went for 2 1/2 days and had a blast. This year I went Wed-Fri and part of Saturday and loved it. Next year will be similar, but with hopefully more money!

Another cool thing someone new I met told me was that someone put up a sign in the hotel lobby that there would be a B/S/T meet up at 9 pm. It was well attended and everyone had fun. They were collectors of newer cards, so it probably wouldn't be a highlight for the vintage collectors, but a good idea.

Last edited by Gmrson; 08-06-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

7/30 - 8/3 2014!!! Can't wait. First one in 7 years for me? Ouch. My son's first National! Countdown set.

From experience. I'll bring a large cooler in the car. Lots of water and good walking shoes. Saving up as we speak...
Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
the only thing I will do differently would be to actually leave the vicinity of the national and explore!
I managed to hit up both the Institute of Art and the Field Museum last weekend. It made for quite a hectic schedule, as each one took the entire morning, and then the convention, dinners, etc. But it was well worth it and added a new dimension to the trip.

Not sure whether I will make it to Cleveland, but I would recommend to everyone to try to take advantage of the city as well as the convention. Especially with the Rock n Roll HOF there. That would be a sight worth seeing!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

Ten years ago I went to one of these in Chicago, stayed downtown and went out to hear live blues every night. I bought a bunch of nice cards, met a bunch of forum members, but was otherwise bored after the first full day of walking the convention center floor non-stop.

This year I stayed at the Hilton, was only downtown for lunch on Wednesday, and spent two of the days sitting and relaxing - it was much better this time around. These conventions are generally so far from whichever city they are supposedly associated with, that you might as well pretend like the city itself doesn't exist.

Not sure what I will do differently next time, but I will not fly in on a red-eye.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM
pete ullman

I agree with Scott in that after spending the whole day walking the floor Friday...not only were my feet killing me but I had had enough!!! Spent a few hours Sat looking at the same stuff again...before returning to my hotel to relax until nighttime.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

i will try and get a booth. i heard that the dealers were trading amongst themselves before we were even allowed in.

i can't go having that.

kevin
Old 08-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Not me. I went to see live music after walking the show floor...
Old 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
Another cool thing someone new I met told me was that someone put up a sign in the hotel lobby that there would be a B/S/T meet up at 9 pm. It was well attended and everyone had fun. They were collectors of newer cards, so it probably wouldn't be a highlight for the vintage collectors, but a good idea.
This would be interesting and the prices, in most cases, would be better than at the show. As someone else mentioned, dealers started setting up Tuesday morning and were already making deals......well before the 4pm Wednesday opening for the general public. To solve that problem, I guess you could buy the '$2400 early buyers pass' (by purchasing a table).

Matt
Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 PM

If you want to relax in a hotel bar and enjoy conversations with friends and meet new acquaintances then Cleveland is made for you. If you wanted to get out and enjoy the night life and great places to see, you missed out by not going to Chicago.