NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default 1st childrens book on "modern" baseball

Posted By: Jason Mishelow

Following Barry's lead here are some scans from the 1st (correct me if I am wrong) children's book on Modern Baseball. Published in 1864 The American Boy's Book shows
how quickly the games was becoming a major part of American Life.
The section on baseball is one of the longest sections in the book and one of the four color plates is devoted to an early game. Already baseball was "the game" for
America youth or at least the publisher's thought so. This is probably the book that taught the game to the pro's of the 1870's and 80's

* Note by modern baseball I want to make a distinction between this book and the variuous chapbboks that published simpler early rules of the baseball/rounders type games.

edited size

Old 06-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jason- your 1864 book is the first in America to have a color plate of a baseball game, and is a favorite of mine. But the first American children's book to feature baseball was Robin Carver's 1834 The Book of Sports.

I should add that as you said the rules were more rudimentary in Carver, but they slowly evolved over time and I don't believe the 1864 rules represent any touchstone in baseball history. I realize though that they are more comprehensive than in Carver.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

What is the significant of the 1744 A Little Pretty Pocket-Book? First mention of the game? I remember REA had a copy of this book for sale a few years ago.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Mishelow

The Little Pretty Pocket Book was the first time that the word baseball appeared in print. The book which is very, very rare was one of the first books to illistrate children's games. Each page of the book had an illistration of the game a "poem" about the game and a morality lesson (which was included so that the book would not be considered two frivolus). The page about baseball had an illistration with three boy's each standing by a stone post. one of the boy's appeared to be about to toss the ball to one of the boy's who looked as if he was about to swing at it with an open palm. The Poem that accompanied the text was "The Ball Once struck off, away flies the boy, to the next defined post, and then home with joy" So while important the book described a games called baseball but a game still very simple and without formal rules. It is not clear what other rules applied to this game of "baseball"

Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

The 1744 edition is a British book, published by Thomas Newberry. It was republished in America by Isaiah Thomas, and it's the 1787 edition that is the only one that is ever found (and it's the next "destined" post).

Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Neat book...thanks for sharing........also I hope you don't mind that I edited the pic sizes.....regards

Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I have sold many books with kids at play and titles with kids playing early games with balls and bats - but this is real neat and the illustrations are great and very early for information about baseball

Jimmy

Old 06-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

A Little Pretty Pocket Book is scanned and available on line.

Here is the Base-Ball page

The entire book starts at

http://tinyurl.com/3664jc

Max

Old 06-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I obtained both of these books from Barry. I would have to look up the years they were attributed to but Barry probably remembers.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

1840-50 would be a reasonable range. They aren't dated so we have to guess.