NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Have you ever withheld info about an item?

I once sold a tintype of a baseball player on eBay. The player didn't have a bat, glove or anything else related to baseball, other than the uniform. A year after the sale I discovered what team he played for (his uniform was unique) through an odd accidental circumstance. I contacted the buyer and asked him if he would be interested in selling it. If he had said "no", I planned to give him the new information, but he said "no" with a rude emphasis, so I kept the information to myself, and have done so for fifteen years.

A year or so ago a super-rare item came up at auction. It was an item that was right in my collecting wheel-house - pretty much a 'holy grail'. It was mis-described by a major auction house and I was sure I could get it at a great deal, brag about it for a while, then put it in a safe deposit box. Again, an odd circumstance gave me information about the item that it was very, very unlikely that anyone else would have. Possible, but highly improbable. This was due to the weird esoteric research that I do for my baseball history articles.

Well, another bidder had other ideas. All night we bid - going down to the 30 minute wire each time. We bid the item up to north of $12k (the AH had it predicted at $2K, which would have been right if their description were accurate). Sometime early in the morning I gave up; still, I was dying to talk about the item the morning after the auction, but I felt like it would show up again at auction someday, possibly again misdescribed, and I would have another shot at it. Hasn't happened - in fact; no one ever mentioned the item in any discussion forums. So I've kept my mouth shut, still hoping.

Any other stories like the above?
Old 08-23-2017, 04:11 PM

Hey Scott,
I hope you are well & interesting topic.

FYI, I typically do not share esoteric info about a scarce item that I'm interested in adding to my collection until I have done so. I might do it with a close collector friend, but certainly not a dealer.
Some of my net54 posts reveal info that I have been holding onto, sometimes literally for decades from research that I have done in the past.

There's no doubt that storing facts that are not commonly known can allow you to buy something really scarce at a reasonable price, which is pretty great and fun IMHO.
I hope you would all agree that as collectors we certainly overpay at times for scarce items that we are looking for.
I'm merely hoping to balance these purchases off with a few bargains...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-25-2017 at 03:52 AM. Reason: additional thoughts added
Old 08-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Mark

Scott,

It depends for me. If a non-sports eBay seller is completely clueless on what they have I will contact them. I won't take advantage of their lack of knowledge on sports memorabilia. Typically I'll also make a very generous offer to change the auction to a private BIN. If it's a sports dealer/auction house I don't say anything. They should know better.

Mark

Last edited by cfhofer; 08-23-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Al

I have stopped giving out any information anymore. Some of my reasons are because of this forum... My feeling is this way why should I give out any information that took me 30 to 40 years to gather and have someone here use that to profit from and it only took them 2 minutes to find out... My 2 cents.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 12-04-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:21 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Goldin had a Musial signed ball in their last auction that he had written hit # 3431 on. They didn't list it as anything but that. With a day or two left I emailed them to let them know he passed Wagner for the NL hit leader with that hit. I got no repsonse but they did edit the description to say that but not the title. I think it went cheap because of that. It was started at $1500 but had no bids until the edit. Sold for $2640 with the BP.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 08-23-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:51 PM
Jim Murphy

Auction House, no they will not pay you for the additional info even though it may mean more to them. Take advantage of your hard work and time.

In your original question the same. Educating yourself should be for your advantage
Old 08-23-2017, 10:49 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default just now

Five minutes ago, before reading this thread, I was telling my wife about something that I think I've figured out about a certain type of item. We agreed that it would be a good idea to keep our eyes open---before too many others figured it out, too. So, include me.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:08 AM
Paul Herbener

I've noticed that a grading company always mislabels a certain type of item so I'm always watching for them. Sometimes the error can workout in my favor. I have pm'ed friends here if they've picked up these, letting them know but I won't share it widely.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:46 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Cool thread. I wish I knew enough to figure something out that 1000 people on the board didn't already know.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:04 AM
Mark

If I have insider information which may help another collector I gladly share it. I try to always remember this is just a hobby from my youth.

Last edited by cfhofer; 08-24-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:55 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Sometimes the yellow tongue 1952 topps card House comes out or theres a grayback thats not described acccurately
Old 08-24-2017, 07:57 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfhofer View Post
If I have insider information which may help another collector I gladly share it. I try to always remember this is just a hobby from my youth.
Yours is a good and honorable approach, and I share what little information that I gather with other, individual collectors. I think we should help all new collectors in on what most veteran collectors know. In hobbies like astronomy or bird-watching, it would be very perverse to play it close to the vest. But this hobby usually involves collecting, and what we collect can be scarce. Some feel competitive about it. Sometimes, it seems to pay to keep things quiet until you accumulate a certain amount, after which you broadcast what you've found so that what you have is generally recognized as legitimate and rare. In my opinion, if you find a previously unknown variation of a baseball card, it is understandable to search for the variation on ebay for a couple of weeks before spreading the news. It would be nice if it was the kind of hobby where people passed along their duplicate t206 Planks and duplicate Babe Ruth bats to others who don't have them. Probably not happening soon, though.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

To me it depends on a few things.

General info about something I usually share, and stuff about things with limited appeal like 91 Topps or that sort of thing. I'm happier to have someone else that collects the weird stuff.

And I'll generally answer a direct question about something if I know the answer.

But about stuff that's for sale? Nope.
I find stuff, especially stamps pretty regularly where a valuable variety isn't recognized, Or ones where the seller just hasn't done any research whatsoever.
I may have an occasional twinge of regret if it's not a dealer, but looking stuff up is so easy these days that's as far as it goes.

The exception is dealers whose shops I go to. I'll share info with them. But the stamp guy I go to usually responds with "That's interesting, you should buy it." He's told me that as long as he makes his money he's at a minimum ok with someone else making a bit more.

He had a postcard by Mucha that he got from another dealer fairly expensive but not familiar. Sold to a customer who collected Mucha postcards, on a hey I found this for you sort of offer. Paid like 50, got 500. Collector turns around and sells it to a big dealer for 1000. Big dealer sells it internationally for 5000 and it ends up in a major European auction and sells for 10,000.
Turns out it was previously unknown and a pretty big deal for people who collect those.
Happiness all around as everyone made money.

Last edited by steve B; 08-24-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: missed a bit
Old 08-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Mark

Mark,

I agree. The stakes are higher when a monetary value is associated with the hobby. Unfortunately, not much money in bird-watching these days. If there was we would be hiding an Asian Crested Ibis in our basement instead. I never understood why some are so competitive in this hobby. If a "precious" piece of memorabilia turns us into Gollum maybe we should just buy a pair of binoculars.

Last edited by cfhofer; 08-24-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'm really enjoying these responses. Some are not getting my question, but that's fine - that has led to additional interesting discussions: I'm actually sitting on information about two items where the auction is long-dead and they may never again be available.

I know most collectors will let AH's know if there is a mistake, and will post about such mistakes...so long as they aren't personally planning to bid on it . If the consignor knew a mistake was being made, they should say something to the AH. If not, then I'm of the same opinion as Al.

As far as sharing information goes - I have no problem with doing so. I like researching, writing and discussing too much to 'not play' just to get better deals in the future.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfhofer View Post
Mark,

I agree. The stakes are higher when a monetary value is associated with the hobby. Unfortunately, not much money in bird-watching these days. If there was we would be hiding an Asian Crested Ibis in our basement instead. I never understood why some are so competitive in this hobby. If a "precious" piece of memorabilia turns us into Gollum maybe we should just buy a pair of binoculars.
I have a male albino house sparrow that visits my back yard every few days. He really sticks out in the group of about 15 regular birds that he travels with.

As far as cards I can't see why someone would not share any information they have. I find it kind of disturbing when someone says they have several years in the hobby and won't share the info they have. Too bad the person that shared that info with them would have told them to fook off when they asked for it. This is from a hobby point of view, if you buy/sell cards for a living I totally understand not giving out any info.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Rob

I have a few Giants related searches I don't share with my Giants collecting buddies. If I ever find this thing (these things), then I will let them look.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I have a few Giants related searches I don't share with my Giants collecting buddies. If I ever find this thing (these things), then I will let them look.
And there is nothing wrong with that.. And one reason is because you are a true collector. I will re phrase a little what I stated above. My point is that I stopped giving out information mostly here because I cant tell you how many times people (who dont really collect) come on here to ask prices because they found something that might be of value but might not be , are lazy and dont want to put 1 minute of their time in doing any research.. why should I give up anything about an item and all you will end up with is most of the time not even a THANKYOU. And boom the item is listed on ebay with the price you told them it was worth... Not a care about collecting just ALL ABOUT THE MONEY... But if a collector I know asks me a question thru PM or email I will always impart all the knowledge I know about it. My Feelings.. And Scott Thanks for that Im with Al line!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
And there is nothing wrong with that.. And one reason is because you are a true collector. I will re phrase a little what I stated above. My point is that I stopped giving out information mostly here because I cant tell you how many times people (who dont really collect) come on here to ask prices because they found something that might be of value but might not be , are lazy and dont want to put 1 minute of their time in doing any research.. why should I give up anything about an item and all you will end up with is most of the time not even a THANKYOU. And boom the item is listed on ebay with the price you told them it was worth... Not a care about collecting just ALL ABOUT THE MONEY... But if a collector I know asks me a question thru PM or email I will always impart all the knowledge I know about it. My Feelings.. And Scott Thanks for that Im with Al line!
Even with what I posted earlier I 100% agree about the idiot whose only goal is to make cash asking questions and not wanting to put in any work. There are exception to everything.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Rob

I think I know of an unknown Giants PM-10. I might tell Al if he would loosen his grip on his Haller or Pagan!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I think I know of an unknown Giants PM-10. I might tell Al if he would loosen his grip on his Haller or Pagan!
You know my loosen the grip price, but your grip on the snapper purse tends to rhyme with the word beep...

Old 08-25-2017, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Even with what I posted earlier I 100% agree about the idiot whose only goal is to make cash asking questions and not wanting to put in any work.
eye have no idea what you are talking about
Old 08-25-2017, 08:36 AM

I bought a Grover Alexander baseball for $80 that I knew was signed by him but the seller didn't.

Once I tried to win a Lefty Gomez Yankees payroll check on eBay but got outbid. The seller didn't know it, but the check was dated the day after Gomez's major league debut. Not sure if the buyer knew either.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:49 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
eye have no idea what you are talking about
To make it easy and short.
I think collectors should share info.
If it is not a hobby and only in it for the $ I understand not sharing any info because info is $.

I also agreed with another member about not sharing info with certain types of people on forums.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:58 PM

First, I'll say that I've helped fellow collectors before, including selling extras that I have at below market value.

My collection is focused on official minor league baseballs. I have withheld info from an ebay seller before. An auction listed two Little League baseballs with a starting bid of $1.50. They were described as one Little League baseball and one Pony League baseball. The assumption was that the Pony League ball was from the community baseball league for 13- to 14-year-olds.
I took a closer look at the pictures and realized it was a 1940s-era PONY League ball, as in Pennsylvania-Ontario-New York League, an affiliated minor league that was the precursor to the modern-day New York-Penn League.

I considered informing the seller for about a second, then decided against it. I did win the auction (the ball can be seen here).

In a weird coincidence, somebody else put another one of these balls up for sale about a month later, who clearly knew what they had. It sold for $150.

www.minorleaguebaseballs.com

Last edited by Tsattert; 08-26-2017 at 06:00 PM.