NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Mission Accomplished

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Thanks to a generous board member I was able to finish the T206 set minus the big 5. When the day comes that I am willing to spend $1000 or more I may try to fill those cards in. I still have about 20 I would like to upgrade. I also continue buying T206s for the back variations.

I do not remember my first T206 purchase, but it was in the 80's and I had 80 of them including 10 HOFers when I took a break from the hobby in 92. I got back into buying T206s when I decided to check ebay out in Oct. of 00. It took 4 1/2 years with no real intention of finishing the set until about a year ago. I first stared trying to get all the Cubs and picking up HOFers. I would occasionally pick up lots and pretty soon I had a good chunk of them, so I started working on other teams and then going after the SLers. Then it was a matter of getting the Cobbs at a reasonable price. Once those were out of the way it was cruise control. I also have back variations from UZIT on down (I still hope to get a DRUM).

It is good to know I am finally done with the T206 set, know for that elusive T202 Too Late for Devlin, Matty/Devlin (Rustlers).

One curious question, How many of you out there have the complete set minus the big 5 or less (which do you have?) Either post on board or drop me an email if you don't want it known and I will keep it confident.

For of you out there still working on the set. :-D

It was a fun journey,

Lee

Old 04-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: vetekbob

Congratulations to you Lee. That is a great accompliment and its even better to hear that a fellow member helped you in the last stretch of the ninth inning to get it done.
I got a peaceful easy feelin..

Old 04-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Hi Lee,
Congrats on finishing your set!!!! I will never finish mine, but the hunt will be a blast. Be well Brian

Old 04-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Congrats. Big time accomplishment!

Old 04-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Congrats Lee,i never knew you had collected them in the past and then stopped for so long.Just when you thought you knew someone!

About the time you stopped for 8 years was the same time i bought my first one which i do remember.Bresnahan portrait,got it late 91 from the Larry Fritsch card museum up in Cooperstown.It was the only hall of famer in my price range as its in just GD condition but still has a great pic!

Hopefully someone will find that t202 for you because its such an easy one to find and the lowest value one of any Mathewson (hope that lie helps you find it)

Old 04-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Congratulations Lee. I just finished my set last December. It was 20+ years from the first T206 purchase to the last.
JimB

Old 04-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

congratulations on completion of that monster. isn't it always kinda sad when its done too....i guess thats why we always look to upgrade!

Old 04-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Congrats Lee! I guess it's kind of like finishing that 'Great American Novel' at last! I've been plucking away on mine for thirteen years and have 108 to go not counting 'those monsters'. I remember my first T206. 'The Freshest Man On Earth' in VG/VG+ condition.

DJ

Old 04-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Good job Bowlingshoegiverouterguy!!!!

Still have about 250 to go for me.
Robert

Old 04-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Congratulations Lee. It’s a wonderful but bittersweet feeling. I finished mine about 4 years ago when I added the last 2. I thought I was done but I’m always upgrading here and there so it never really seems to end. I hope to pick up a Magie this year that’s my T206 set goal. Once again way to go!

Old 04-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

Lee,

Congratulations, but the journey never ends with T206's. I am continually upgrade my set. That is what makes collecting T206's so much fun. Bill

Old 04-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Congratulations, Lee !

a great accomplishment.

i'm almost half way there and have great admiration for your efforts!

all the best

Barry Arnold

Old 04-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: I Congratulate Anyone

But let us be honest, and realistic with ourselves.
I just need one card.
The Wagner, the second hardest card in the set.
Being that the Wagner is listed as a card in the T206, that means that my set is incomplete.
Anyway that I try to rationalize it, it's incomplete.
Outside of a stroke of something unpredictable, and bordering on the super natural, ... it aint goin ta happen.
Hitting the lottery, ... I don't play it.
Donations from people on this board that want to see me happy? ... I'm not holding my breath.
A few years ago, I saw a Wagner auctioned off, and won by a lawyer out in the West Coast for $4 or $7 thousand dollars.
It had to be the prize winning beater of tobacco cards.
Visualize if you will, a tobacco card being fought over by two pygmy pit bulls on each side of it.
The best decription that I can give you of the card would be, ..... the perfect Hour Glass.
No graders then, but current graders now would probably give it the Authentic label.
All I ask for is another chance at the Hour Glass.
This time, I would raise my insanity level to a higher degree of madness, and go for the completion of the set.

I know not what you guys are drinking, but anything that erases from memory the existance of the remaining cards in The Monster, is something for me to explore.

Please send me a case, I'll double the price.
Please do not slab it.

Yours in desperation,
Joe P.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Joe, so who put yellow liquid iny our Wheaties? Lee said MISSION accomplished, not I COMPLETED the set. His goal was to collect all the t206s less the big 5 (I actually think he meant 6 forgetting about Doyle). Why not congratulate him instead of posting what did based on your misreading of the post? Maybe you'll find white liquid in your Wheaties tomorrow.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

Read it slowly Jay.

"I Congratulate Anyone
That Goes as far as They Want to go With The Monster"

Old 04-18-2005, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Joe, try putting your message in the message area rather than in the area where your name is supposed to go. It's hard enough to read Julie's posts that start in the subject area, we don't need have messages starting where a person's name should be.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

For spelling, and words missing or running together in the subject area.
You certainly have the audacity to tell anyone where to write anything.
I don't know what your problem is?
I was trying to have a little fun.
While you were looking for something else, you missed the whole point.
Enjoy your Wheaties with your yellow liquid.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator

If you expect to be clearly understood, then you should be following normal posting conventions. Others, you can't be getting upset when someone misreads your ramblings. If someone misreads what I wrote, I know it's becuase I misspelled a word or left out a "not" or some other immportant word and not written things places where messages don't go.

Jay

Old 04-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay, Please Explain-

It's only when I have used it.
That's when you come out from your reading comprehensive hole.
What's wrong with you?
Whatever happened to that wonderful sense of humor?
It's all changed since your deep Fearless Fosdick investigative trip to Chicago?
When will we see you again?
Grumpies never look good on SCD pages.
Snap out of it man, you'll get another investigative case in Chi Town.

Let me write this one out slowly for you.

I - salute - and - congratulate - anyone - that - goes - as - far - as - they - want - to -go - with - The Monster.

All I'm saying, and you, especially you, don't have to follow my reasoning.
A question that has often been asked by many on this forum, newbies, semi newbies, and some in it for the last five years is:

Does anyone have a list for the known, T206 T205 T207 N172 etc etc etc.

It's always the list.
If it were not for the list, we could stop anywhere and say it's completed.
Mind you, I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone that has taken on the Monster, but how can anyone say that their set is complete when we know the list, and know that certain members of the list are missing?

Why can't we just say, "That I've gone as far as I want to, and I'm happy with it"

You don't have to be an Ostrich.
You've given the set your best, and be proud of it.
There's always that added ingredient.
ONENEVERKNOWS.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Joe your response looks to be a slap in the face with a sorry afterwards.and thats how i took it.The t206 set is considered complete by people who have all but the hard variations/cards and when prices on certain cards get unrealistic then you have to have different levels of a complete set that go along with peoples budgets.There was no need to be rude but you went and did it anyway.

I normally dont read your posts but had to after i saw Jays responses.It safe to say from now forward im not reading anymore of them and ill just assume you were either off your medication again or just being rude again for your own personal amusement.You can obviously choose to respond to this and im sure you will but dont ask me any questions because they wont be answered by me either now or anytime in the future.

For people who collect the set,because of how hard certain cards are,i and most others consider Lee's set to be complete.Any card you get after that is just a different level of being complete,basically an added bonus.Alot of people stop at Demmitt and O'hara,tho personally i couldnt see buying one without the other.

I also collected the backs and considered them done when i had all 15 brands of backs(youll never convince me Ty Cobb brand is a t206 until i see one with a different person,or Cobb pose on front other than red background).Since the time i considered it complete tho,ive bought a Pied 42 back and a blank back.The fact is im not even sure i have all 3 variations of the American Beauty back since i have less than 10 AB backs and i never wrote down which specific ones i had.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

edited to include a

Old 04-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Ya know when you see this message title that I am coming in with gavel in hand. I think this thread has run it's course and I don't care for anymore bickering in it. If Joe and Jay want to piss and moan with each other then please do it off line. I am not saying either was right or wrong. I don't really care. The only plea I will make is to ask everyone to be thoughtful on the way the threads truncate because if you put too much writing where your message title should be then we end up having to scroll back and forth. Let's please only put your name there in order to be considerate of others.....thanks

edited to say "congrats" to Lee.....