NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Default Corner Wear too Perfect?

Posted By: joe brennan

I'm not interested in this group but doen't the corner wear on the first 2 cards that pop up just look a little too uniform? The other look fine, beaten a bit, but I question the best looking of the bunch. Am I just being picky? Opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T206-Lot-of-9-Tobacco-Cards_W0QQitemZ8778914072QQcategoryZ86840QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Wow...those are some nice corners. Looks as if an artist rounded them. Or machinist. I would avoid these cards. Just my opinion, but how do 96 year old cards attain such perfect and pretty corners without sustaining additonal damage to the surface, or edges?

Old 03-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

There is an iSoldIt in my neck of the woods, and it makes me wonder when they sell/consign stuff like this for someone how do they verify the authenticity prior to posting it for sale? The obvious answer is they probably don't. I may take a card in just to see how the process works there... then decide against selling it.

I apologize for getting a little OT... those corners are suspicious, yes. There are so many variables that come into play though, am sure plenty of people had unique ways of storing their cards, so "ya just don't never know".

Old 03-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Trae, My thoughts exactly on this ISOLDIT concept. That's why I questioned those cards. You bring it, they sell it. Who said they were real? The seller?

Old 03-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

Somethings fishy with those cards, I agree. The Bates and O'Leary have some fake toning on them, and what the heck is up with that flaking corner on the O'Leary? Do T206s do that? I don't think so.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

First of all, they're not all the same, which is a good sign. And second of all, even the ones that look "perfectly rounded" aren't particularly nice cards. But most important, people usually alter cards to make the corners sharp -- not the other way around. I do not think they were cut rounded like scissors would cut them. Rather, I believe stacks of these cards were kept in rubber bands and the corners were evenly worn off by an owner who liked to go through them and rub his thumb on the corners.

And the O'Leary was heated at some point near a flame which caused the top to brown. This also dried out the front of the card, making it susceptible to chipping.

These are beater cards, but I am virtually certain that they are all authentic and have not been tampered with in a deceptive fashion. Having said that, none of them would grade higher than a 1 or 1.5.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

especially the crispy ones.

And how about investing 100 bucks in a flat bed scanner so we don't have to look at tilted pics? You'd think a professional (I use the term advisedly) ebay assistant would at least have the equipment...

Old 03-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Of course you would round the corners on legit cards, but if you doctoring reprints to look real, then you want to create wear. You just to get that much corner wear without damage to the rest of the card. It's too shiny and white for all that wear. I own plenty of card with heavy corner wear and no creases, but the edges and surface also show wear consistant with the corners. Those cards don't show that wear.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

...these are not doctored reprints. Here are a number of examples from my collection of over exposed scans and relatively evenly rounded corners (I've been meaning to rescan these, because I am aware that it makes the cards look terrible):

Image hosting by Photobucket

Old 03-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Administrator

They may be legit, but the first 2 cards just don't look right. You just don't get that much corner wear without fraying, and those corners look too smooth.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Administrator

...about rounding corners to make reprints look fake is taken, however. I just did not believe that these were reprints.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

I'm with Paul. I would venture to guess their real as well. I've never seen a reprint/fake with the register off so much that the name is missing from the bottom. I'm not saying they might not have been doctored with, but they appear real, especially the backs.

Bill

"The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert"

Old 03-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

I would not hesitate to bid on these.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Administrator

T206collector, Those corners dont look anything like your cards corners. There is heavy wear on those corners. yours ar slightly rounded. Cards dont wear that much, that perfectly. To stop a high grade collector from bidding and knowing, make em look like beaters..Then the puny money spent on them might not know. They are as fake as a 3 dollar bill, or Dolly Partons'..well you know what I mean.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Administrator

...I hope you will also not be bidding on other real T206 cards that I might wind up bidding on.

Besides, you were the one that posted to get the forum's opinion. If you thought these were as fake as a $3 bill, then you would never have asked our opinion. You're probably just trying to now draw attention away from them so you can bid on them. They will probably be sold for $75-$95. That is about what they are worth.

And as a sign of my good faith in my opinion, I placed a bid and am currently the high bidder at $51.00. I would be quite happy to walk away with these for $5.67 each.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Since when does uniform corner rounding = reprint? I've seen plenty of authentic cards with well-rounded corners and no creases. They all look good to me. No doubt in my mind.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

I know that everyone can have their own opinion and I respect that, but I think it should be obvious that these cards are authentic. That being said, many times when I have found auctions for reprinted or doctored t206s, I will email the seller and give them a chance to respond to the question of their auctions authenticity.
I certainly would not want to damage a seller's ability to get as much as he can for his auction unless I was 110 % sure the items he was selling were not authentic.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Administrator

First, I wouldn't draw attention to any auction I planned on bidding on. Secondly, just my opinion was stated about the corners on your cards just being touched and these being very rounded. But, I will relent and agree with the masses. I just think they are some pretty rounded corners. If you look at my history of buying, I only buy graded T206's.

BTW, I picked up a lot of 8 SGC graded cards for $91. Minus the grading fees that comes out to $5 a card. I'll stick to what is already verified. joe

edited to say 8 card instead of 11 card

Old 03-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob S

Hi Joe,

I can't comment on the second part of your sig., but, I can definitely confirm the first part.

At one time, I traded futures for daily bread...LOL

I still dabble a bit, but just for sport, these days.

The nice thing bout futures is that the Madness is not limited to March

Best.

Bob S

Old 03-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Administrator

I've probably handled as many low grade cards as anyone. You jsut don't get that kind of wear without fraying and damages to the edges. I'm not saying they are fake or taht they are real, but it is a serious issue with those 2 cards. Most scammers are greedy and unsofiscated. The truely good scammers with will be mixing in a few bad cards with a group of good cards. If most of the lot looks good, most people will assume the whole lot is good. That's the way I'd work a scam on reprints if I was going to do it.

Jay

Old 03-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Administrator

8 SGC graded T206 cards for $91, I would recommend that you make that purchase just about every time. That would be a very good deal. Would you mind posting a link to the auction?

However, the way that I have collected has worked out even better than that for me so far. What I have always tried to do is buy groups of so-called beaters, for about $5-$15 per card. You'd be surprised how many VG, VG-EX and even EX cards have gotten lumped into those lots. It's not the SGC 10's and SGC 20's that I'm after, it's the SGC 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's that were had for under $10, got slabbed for $7 by SGC, and are now worth $30, $40, $50 and beyond -- all within the last couple of years. If you continue to buy lots of ungraded cards, you'll get a fair assortment.

Now, this lot doesn't have that, of course. But you might get a 30 or two out of it.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Administrator

...the backs of the Niles and the Owen are scanned as well, and they look pretty legit, wouldn't you agree? Why would you articifically round authentic T206 cards? To hide trimming? Maybe, but not here. I suspect you don't see the fraying that you think you might otherwise see because the scan/photo is overexposed and not particularly good.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M

so many of the "experts" on this board think these cards are not real. While there are some of us who have had many more T206's pass through their hands over the years than me I have had at least 2,000 and in my opinion these pass the test.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

corners look frayed and cards are worn. fair to poor condition almost 100 year old cards. 100% legit IMO.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Administrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57993&item=8770099047

Old 03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Administrator

good purchase on the graded t206s!

Old 03-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Joe,
You said "First, I wouldn't draw attention to any auction I planned on bidding on."

Its a shame you don't offer up the same courtesy to others. Please stop posting links for auctions that are not yet over.

Old 03-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Cards are all 100% authentic, nothing wrong. Like someone said they may have been stored together and the wear is consistant on all corners. I have a few T & E cards with nice round corners like that. Thats the way they wear sometimes.

Edited to add a picture

This card has same type of rounding, mine is dirtier mainly because it is a Polar Bear Scrap Tobacco card.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Administrator

These cards may be legit, but I hope no one comes away from this thread thinking that this type of wear is normal. It's not and is one of the red flags of a reprint being doctored to look legit. All you have to look is look at all the fake Goudeys with corner wear like this.

Jay