NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2006, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Default Auction Ended Early - what was it?

Posted By: Bill Kasel

Seller ended this auction early. I bid based on the W555's but didn't know what the other card was. Can someone enlighten me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8779440715>

Thanks!

Bill
"The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert"

Old 03-16-2006, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Looks like a black and white E97 but I could be wrong

Old 03-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

It is an E97 B&W and I had this auction in my watch list like many others from this board I am sure...

Old 03-16-2006, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Yupp, E97 Black and White also known as an E97 proof. I am bummed someone got it ended early because I was planning on bidding for the E97, thats one of Moores most elusive cards and he happens to be the player I collect. Oh well.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It's common wisdom that one should not place a bid on an ebay lot until the last half minute but there are two sides to this; if several people placed somewhat substantial bids on the lot early, a seller who doesn't know what he has may be less inclined to end it early. He probably saw minimal activity and thought the offer sounded good. If the lot jumped to a few hundred dollars in the first day, he would be more likely to let the auction run its course. Maybe bidders should place an early but modest bid in an attempt to deter this.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Barry, the auction was at $300 + before it was ended.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...I agree with you to some degree. It is a careful balancing act. The fact that the auction went up to $300 in this case kinda flubs the theory a bit, but sellers lured by the prospect of a thousand dollars might not end an auction early if the bidding were already up to $300. In this case, it looks like they might have.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Barry,

The early bidding was at $450 when the auction ended early, so it should have been clear to the seller that the cards were valuable.

Zach,

Cheer up. There's always Wally Schang.

Max

Old 03-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I didn't know the bidding was that high and if that was the case the seller should have at least realized he had something good, even if he didn't know what that was. Perhaps there was another explanation to why he ended early. I had a consignment recently on ebay and due to an unrelated disagreement I had with the owner, I had to close the two lots and return them to him. I got several emails from people wondering why I would close lots that already had multiple bids. Obviously, my situation was not the typical one.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Max-Schang is no Moore. Schangs are a dime a dozen, just go search his for his T222 on ebay .

Old 03-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

hate when this happens, but in this case the buyer probably would've had to make a strong offer over the $450 current bid...i don't think the lot is a substantial amount (2x+) over the current bid as the most desireable card (e97 moore) in that condition would fetch $400-$50 while the 3 w555s is probably only $200-$300 in those crude condition with some back damage.

of course if you "give them a bath" and a haircut to their original framing and get them graded you probably stand to make some money...but who's gonna go through all that trouble!

Old 03-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

person who got it ended early..........