NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Default Something new to talk about - Vintage cards W553 steal!

Posted By: dan mckee

I had a $1500 snipe but 2 others saw this treasure. It looks like W553's in their original strips still!! Very very cool and I should have gone higher!! Ugh!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310049925995&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

It's funny, Dan - I was watching that item and it was hovering at $80 yesterday. I did not notice the W553s, but didn't put in a snipe. When I saw the ending price this morning, I clicked the link to see what I missed, and all the photos were gone. I figured I must have missed something inside the book, but since the photos were gone this morning I couldn't look.

Nice job, whoever got this.

-Al

Old 05-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i'm not familiar w/w553's...anyone have a pic to post?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Nice item, back in the day that was a favorite pastime for people to do.

My elderly (94 yrs old when he died)cousin made up about 6 such scrapbooks from newspapers.

Sadly for me he didn't include any baseball cards in them.

They do include many of the events of the day though.

Steve

Old 05-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Administrator

well turds! he took the photos down. There were 4 or 5 ina a strip top to bottom on both the left and right side of a page and Gehrig and Ruth together in the middle. They looked sharp so some grading fanatic will probably score big on them. I have never seen these in their strip form before, it will be a shame to cut them down. Visit www.oldcardboard.com to see a picture of one. Dan.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Dan - I had on it my watch list as well and thought I would get it for a snipe of $710. Needless to say, my snipe never got placed!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Iggy

Hello Dan, I'm not a grading fanatic nor a turd (since I'm assuming you mean everybody else on this thread). I would not have the heart to cut them, so don't worry about that. Now, if I had found them in 1929....that is a different story.... I would have cut them into individual strips in a heart beat and sent them off to SGC for grading. But alas, it is not 1929 anymore...

Lovely Day...

Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Congrats Iggy, can you post the scan of them if you have it? Or when you get them. Would a $2K snipe have made a difference? That is what I was originally going to do. And wait a minute, I didn't call anyone a turd, I just yelled the word turds! cause the pictures were down. Glad you won't be cutting them, thanks Dan.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Iggy

$2K would have blown me away. I'm a small fish in a shark invested pond that somehow got lucky. My top bid was $1850. I will post a pic once I get them. By the way, the seller was also blown away. He was thinking the scrapbook would sell for $100, perhaps $150 on a good day. I got the impression he thought I was nuts.

Lovely Day...

Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Iggy, we are both nuts and $2K was out of my range as well, I was just curious! Great score and I am very glad it went to someone that will appreciate it and not a slabhead. Dan.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Iggy...

By the way, here is how I arrived at the $1850 figure. I normally use very conservative numbers (or at least I always convince myself that I do...) but this was my reasoning for the bid. In the pictures that were shown, you had ten W553 (all ten hall-of-famers and they appeared in great shape (cross my fingers), in addition another pic had six Goudey cards but five of them were HOF (Lazzeri, Pennock, P Waner, (Lefty) O'Doul, and Frisch)

Thus....

10 (W553) @ $150 each = $1500
6 (Goudey cards (PSA 2 or 3 on the HOF's)) = $250
That equals $1750

I added an extra $100 because it contained a Gehrig and Ruth, plus the fact that the W553's were uncut, plus the auction only showed a few pics of the book (until I get the scrapbook, I can dream of a couple more strip cards). Hence, to me $1850 was a conservative number, and 2K is still very reasonable. The reality is nice W553's sell for alot more then $150, especially when they are named Ruth and Gehrig. One last note, initially I wanted this thread to die a quick death. But I guess my emotions are getting the best of me, since I seem to be the one who is its biggest booster.

Lovely Day...