NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Jon Canfield

Default 2010 World Cup Draws

Not sure if there are any soccer (football) fans on the board but what are you thoughts on the draws? I thought US had a good draw...
Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 PM

Well,

They should be able to advance, but you never know. They say Slovenia is a physical defensive minded team, so if they somehow score a goal early, they'll just pack it in and play to win 1-0.

Algeria is playing in their home continent, that could be motivation, and the English should win the round, and score more goals than anyone.

So the U.S. can't get beat bad by England (3-0 bad) and then go 1 and a draw, or they'll have a chance to lose the tiebreaker.

I think they advance, but I'm not overly confident.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:52 PM
tony

Default world cup

being English I think we got a good draw, The US is a good team and should follow us through.
In the FIFA rankings the US is 14th, so there is no doubt about them being a threat, I would love to see England win it but all the money is on Spain.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 AM
David G

Default Cup Draw

A good draw for the US. Certainly England is a better team but I would much rather play them than most of the other "seeded" teams. The other two games are winnable but nothing is ever a given in the cup is it.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:19 PM
tony

Chesea of the EPL has 18 players in the world cup!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Abraham Rudy

Being American, I say we got a good draw too. The only tough team is England, but we should handle them with no problem ;-)

All kidding aside, if we can draw England in group play, we have a really nice opportunity to make it to the later rounds. The question is really how healthy our side will be come June. It'll be tough to win without Onyewu back on defense.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:33 AM
tony

Is there any US players in the EPL?
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Abraham Rudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescooper View Post
Is there any US players in the EPL?
Yes, a bunch, including Guzan and Howard the keepers (Villa and Everton, respectively), Altidore (Hull City), and Spector (West Ham). We also have a bunch of players in other European elite leagues, although a large pecentage of our players play in America, which is a disadvantage because the level of skill in MLS soccer is really not up to par with the rest of the world, to say the least.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamrudy View Post
Being American, I say we got a good draw too. The only tough team is England, but we should handle them with no problem ;-)

All kidding aside, if we can draw England in group play, we have a really nice opportunity to make it to the later rounds. The question is really how healthy our side will be come June. It'll be tough to win without Onyewu back on defense.
All I can say about Onyewu is that I saw him come in as a sub in his first AC Milan game, and he was completely overmatched, and gave up a goal. He really doesn't even play much for them.

I'm not convinced he's that good. Maybe he's improved since, I hope so. Now with the injury he's got AC Milan all stirred up as well.