NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 1949 BOWMAN's (25 HOFers, many Rookies)...show-N-tell us of your cards

I am quite surprised at the responses to this thread regarding the fascination with the color error cards found in the set.
I'm working a special set (approx. 40 % complete) comprising of various color errors. Shown here is a sampling of some
of the printing mistakes found in this set.

Feel free to post some of your printing mistakes here.

SLATE Lo # and Hi # cards

PINK and YELLOW cards (Should be RED and ORANGE)

7th sheet SLATE cards (Salkeld and Muncrief normally YELLOW)

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 12-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 1949 BOWMAN's (25 HOFers, many Rookies)...show-N-tell us of your cards

Speaking about "color-less" BOWMAN cards.....reminds me, I still recall in the Spring of 1950 when us kids opened our 1st packs of 1950 BOWMAN BB cards,
and the thrill we got seeing all those colorful cards.....Yogi Berra, Jackie Robinson, Robin Roberts, Bob Feller, Phil Rizzuto, Pee Wee Reese, Warren Spahn, etc.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 12-18-2019, 07:38 PM
James

Default Handcut ad cards?

Ted,
I have a Doby hi# that has a light-colored (not gray) back and appears to have been handcut. I bought it as a younger collector before I knew that hi#s "only" came with gray backs, and I dismissed my purchase as a reprint.

This past weekend, I saw a long-time dealer and noticed he had two Doby cards in his display case. Upon examination, I noticed that one was legit/typical and the other had a light-colored back like mine, and it was also hand cut. When I asked him about the card's authenticity, he said that it was something akin to (though maybe not precisely) a box-bottom display card.

Do you have any knowledge of or examples of these yourself, or is it likely that we may both have reprints?

James
Old 12-18-2019, 09:19 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysuitcase View Post
Ted,
I have a Doby hi# that has a light-colored (not gray) back and appears to have been handcut. I bought it as a younger collector before I knew that hi#s "only" came with gray backs, and I dismissed my purchase as a reprint.

This past weekend, I saw a long-time dealer and noticed he had two Doby cards in his display case. Upon examination, I noticed that one was legit/typical and the other had a light-colored back like mine, and it was also hand cut. When I asked him about the card's authenticity, he said that it was something akin to (though maybe not precisely) a box-bottom display card.

Do you have any knowledge of or examples of these yourself, or is it likely that we may both have reprints?

James

Hi James

I don't have any reprints in my sets. And, I'm not sure I understand what a "bottom-box display card" is ?

Show me some scans, and I'll give you a better answer on this.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 12-19-2019, 08:54 PM
James

Default Scans

Hi Ted,
I feel silly even posting these, as the card looks so fake to me. If it weren’t for the assertion of this dealer (who shall remain nameless) and my card’s similarity of appearance to his, I wouldn’t have even mentioned it.

“Box-bottoms”: I’m not sure if you collected any cards from packs during the late 80s, but many of the wax boxes had cards on the box bottoms that could be cut out and saved. The assertion about this light-backed Doby card was that there was a similar situation in 1949. Perhaps a consumer bought the last pack of cards, and on the bottom of the box - maybe inside bottom or maybe outside bottom - were a few card images that could be cut out and saved - not by design, necessarily, but just for the heck of it.

Does that sound at all familiar or feasible? Have you encountered any 49B boxes that might’ve had such advertising?

Thanks for any feedback!
James

PS: all of my other Bowman card backs predictably are light or gray from #1-72 and gray from 73-240.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56C68C51-B372-40A5-9538-2B8667E4806C.jpg (10.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg D8AEB482-19D6-4897-98DD-4766112504A3.jpg (15.3 KB, 299 views)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi James....sorry for the delay, as I was away all day.

I collected these cards as a kid (Spring thru the Fall of 1949). I don't recall anything of what you are suggesting regarding the 24-count wax-pack
boxes that the 1949 BOWMAN's were in.
Furthermore, the boxes I have seen, since I returned to the hobby in the late 1970's, do NOT have anything like you are suggesting.

Now, what I can tell you is that the 1949 BOWMAN cards were REPRINTED circa 1988. All 240 cards were printed with WHITE backs.

Take a close look (under magnification) at the bottom of the back of your Larry Doby card. Look for the "Reprint" info that may have been erased.

Also, the other clue that indicates to me that this Doby card may be a reprint, is its top and right borders which are too large.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 12-20-2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added information.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:15 PM
Rich Klein

Just a quick note, I finally had some time to go through this thread. I'm going to create the slate listings for the COMC data base and eventually see if we have had to move over. Any help building the checklist is very appreciated.

(Ted, FYI -- I sent you an email about this and what I believe was what happened to Dan's health before his untimely passing.) Let me know via email or PM and any help with both of these is appreciated.

Rich
Old 12-28-2019, 04:06 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I am quite surprised at the responses to this thread regarding the fascination with the color error cards found in the set.
I'm working a special set (approx. 40 % complete) comprising of various color errors. Shown here is a sampling of some
of the printing mistakes found in this set.

Feel free to post some of your printing mistakes here.

SLATE Lo # and Hi # cards

PINK and YELLOW cards (Should be RED and ORANGE)

7th sheet SLATE cards (Salkeld and Muncrief normally YELLOW)

TED Z

T206 Reference

Hey Ted, this is an interesting subset you are collecting.

Anyone attempting to collect an autographed version of each of the 1949 Bowman cards? I just bought some. Not sure how hard that would be to pursue. Tony
Old 12-30-2019, 07:17 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
Hey Ted, this is an interesting subset you are collecting.

Anyone attempting to collect an autographed version of each of the 1949 Bowman cards? I just bought some. Not sure how hard that would be to pursue. Tony
Hey Tony

Since you asked. Here is a small sample of my autographed 1949 BOWMAN cards. Some of them were signed in person. Others were already autographed, so I cannot vouch for those.

One of the friendliest ballplayers was Johnny Mize. We had a really interesting conversation. I reminded him of the 1952 World Series when he single-handedly beat the Dodgers.
When our conversation ended, he invited me to visit him, if I was ever in the Demorest, Georgia area.

In 1987, on my way to Florida, I stopped by to see Johnny. He was a tremendous guy.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 12-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hey Tony

Since you asked. Here is a small sample of my autographed 1949 BOWMAN cards. Some of them were signed in person. Others were already autographed, so I cannot vouch for those.

One of the friendliest ballplayers was Johnny Mize. We had a really interesting conversation. I reminded him of the 1952 World Series when he single-handedly beat the Dodgers.
When our conversation ended, he invited me to visit him, if I was ever in the Demorest, Georgia area.

In 1987, on my way to Florida, I stopped by to see Johnny. He was a tremendous guy.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Thanks Ted, and thanks for this thread. I love this set. It's my favorite and I have been collecting it for the past few years. I am nearing completion of a PSA graded set, and I have a bunch of extras of my favorite players, as well as some signed ones, some gray variations, some partial sheet scraps, etc. Next frontier after finishing the 252-card portion of the set is to get the crème and gray variations of the first 72. What a great set to collect!

Tony
Old 01-02-2020, 09:56 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
Thanks Ted, and thanks for this thread. I love this set. It's my favorite and I have been collecting it for the past few years. I am nearing completion of a PSA graded set, and I have a bunch of extras of my favorite players, as well as some signed ones, some gray variations, some partial sheet scraps, etc. Next frontier after finishing the 252-card portion of the set is to get the crème and gray variations of the first 72. What a great set to collect!

Tony

Your welcome, Tony....it's my pleasure. The 1949 BOWMAN set is my favorite post-WWII set.

The first colorized BB cards I collected in my youth were the 1949 LEAF's. LEAF's 1st series cards were available before the 1949 BOWMAN's.
And, we were thrilled to open a LEAF pack to find Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Jackie Robinson, etc.
Furthermore, the LEAF's were great for "flipping" and/or "scaling".

Then, about a month (or so) later, the 1949 BOWMAN cards were available at our Candy stores. The BOWMAN's included Yankees players that
were not in the LEAF's......like Yogi Berra, Tommy Henrich, Allie Reynolds, Eddie Lopat, and many more. So, I favored the BOWMAN cards.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 01-04-2020 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Corrected typo.