NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Default C1890, 5” x 3”, Caricature FB Cards, No Maker

C1890, 5” x 3”, Caricature FB Cards, No Maker

photo MarkingClose_zps9d10d329.jpg

Tonight on eBay I picked up a set of six football cards. They are illustrated in caricature, measure 5" tall by 3" wide, and have no maker specifically, only an R inside a triangle and the numbers 873, see above close in.

Does anyone know about these?...Please elaborate on them if you can. These are the first FB cards I've ever bought...The illustrations are great with all the action..and they are definitely American football not rugby or anything Euro (see the quilted pants)...One of the main reasons I got them was they were a set of six all in one buy...I wonder if there are more of the set?

I'm not a card guy but they seem to be trade card sized...but no advertising on the back...I suppose most card collectors will not like the condition of the back having glue from a scrap book...but doesn't bother me
Thanks -Carlton

photo 1AllSixCollage_zpsab6c90c3.jpg

photo 3_zps4681eb97.jpg

photo 5_zpsf487e3b9.jpg

photo 6_zps400301c5.jpg

photo 8_zps61dcaefb.jpg

photo 4_zps5ccfd0ad.jpg

photo 7_zps3c129044.jpg

photo 2AllSixCollageBacks_zps26c5e4e2.jpg

photo 9MarkingBack_zps57fb1551.jpg

photo 9MarkingFront_zpsed84dd59.jpg

Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Casey Moore

I have seen many of these being sold individually throughout the years, but never have seen a group of six at one time. You are correct that they are trade cards and they typically have an ad on the back.

If you decide they don't fit in your collection, send me a pm as they would fit in mine!
Old 10-25-2013, 04:39 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks Casey, I'll keep it in mind....I just sort of thought I should have some FB cards in my collection...and these were the right vintage, right look, set of six etc....Got them today and put them in three plastic sleeve holders...back to back so I can flip them over and see two per sleeve...Then directly put them between some books to keep them flat and safe where I can get busy and forget I even have them...then get a cool surprise in a few years when I next come across them while looking for something else...If it's not a poster that goes on the wall that what happens...now I remember why I don't collect small stuff...

photo FBBoyPyroandPCStitch_zps0c269c40.jpg

Speaking of FB cards...tonight I got another football card...a post card that is...reason being...A month ago at an antiques store I picked up one of those pyro art pieces with a football boy 18 3/8" tall...I don't go in for them to much but this one was pretty cool I thought...and it was $35.00...so what the hay....so then...I'm on eBay and bingo I come across a post card with the same boy...It was like $7.00 BIN but it seemed a little high so I put it off....it closed without anyone buying it...But it was in the back of my mind where would I find another anytime soon...then it resurfaced on eBay only the seller raised it to $9.00 BIN...darn it...and again I let it go....then it resurfaced for $3.00 auction only no BIN...and boom I got it for a whopping $3.25...plus the pesky $2.00 postage.

photo FBBoyPyroArtPlaque2_zps9c3e4fe8.jpg

Old 10-26-2013, 05:19 AM
John Spano

Nice pickups Carlton. 19th century football items are fast gaining popularity.

I have two of the examples (a touchdown & the pride of the college). Both carry an ad for "WM. M. Smith. 474 Broad Street. Manufacturer of the domestic shirt, underwear and hosiery, new and nobby Neckware. One minute from the M. & E. R. R."

The outfit sold working clothes. See link below

http://www.katzinsuniforms.com/company.htm
Old 10-26-2013, 08:49 AM
John Spano

Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 AM

Default Thanks

Hey Thanks John...really great info!!!...really appreciate

Old 11-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Daniel Elsass

As John said, typically used for advertising. In the case of this 6, they may have also been intended to be post cards (hence the blank back). I have several post cards that fit the wacky style of these, they're just different.

I personally like them, if you ever want to sell them let me know.

Thanks, Dan