NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Phil Garry

Fred:

There were lots of T206 and other reltaed tobacco issues at the show so I would assume there were some Broad Leafs although I don't collect these and was not looking for them. The highlight of the show for me was my purchase of a W600 Joe Tinker, my first W600 card. I also picked up a 22 card grading order from SGC and they were especially helpful in making sure that my Billiken Jose Mendez card was very carefully crossed over from its original PSA holder as these cards are very susceptible to breaking apart when handled. The SGC grading team assured me that it would be okay and it definitely looks great in its new SGC holder. Here's a scan............

Old 03-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

We just returned from Reading

Whilst it was wonderful to catch up with some long-time hobby
friends and speak with a number of major dealers, we were
generally disappointed in the breadth and quality of material available
for sale.

The most interesting items on display are those to be auctioned over
the next 30-90 days.

We heard from a number of high end dealers that the high grade
card market, particularly for 1950's cards was slowing down.

There was also concern expressed that the pre-war PSA 8/9 could collapse if
one or more of the "three whales" loses interest

Have not been to a show in five,years where could find any really rare,
ultra high condition exception items for sale.

The truly great stuff always seems to find its way to an REA or Mastro Auction.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 03-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Seth B.

I went today for a few hours, and I have to agree with the Bruces. The most interesting vintage stuff was at Mastro, Goodwin, and Hunt. Seeing that Boston Garter Johnson in person at the Goodwin table was worth the trip, that's a cool card. I also saw that Joe Jackson minor league postcard: somebody's going to pay a lot of money for that thing, but I can't say it's the most attractive card up close.
Most of the vintage stuff for sale was in the T206/T205 category, a couple of caramels--one guy had some E97s--but nothing extraordinary out there. Bagger and Clean Sweep both had decent stuff for sale as well, some OJs and things like that. I saw Ted Z. at his table, but he was chatting away, so I didn't want to but in and introduce myself. He had a neat T206 rare back display and a couple of N162s in his case.
I went to this show two years ago in Philadelphia and remember a few other nicer pre-war tables. There was plenty of 50s stuff, really nice cards. I definitely remember better 19th century stuff the last time, though: only really some OJs and N28/29s there today. I dropped off an SGC submission off, and I traded for a T209 B & W, so the trip was worth it, but I certainly didn't see anything that I felt regrets walking away from.

Seth B.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Andy Cook

I was there this morning for three hours. I picked up some T210s I needed from Steve Verkman. I went looking for the last T213s I need, but everyone only seemed to have John McGraw (I could've corned the market!). There were lots of T205s/206s - I didn't notice what the backs were. I thought there were a relatively large number of E90-3s available.

Andy

Old 03-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Jim Rivera

I think the show is great. I love talking cards with Dan and Ted. That is the main reason I go. I would like to meet you Bruce-I don't collect high grade pre war but I like to meet everyone and talk cards. I meet a few new collectors and my kids love to run around and buy the wacky packages.
There were plenty of rare back T206s and T205s and a good amount of caramel cards but mostly ungraded or at best grade 5 to 6.
The next show is September and I will be there doing the same.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Paul Kaufman

Phil- I hate to burst your bubble, but that Billiken looks hideous in that plastic sleeve insert. You should have demanded a custom sized insert from SGC. Nice card though.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Fred

Hello, I was thinking about going to the Reading card show tomorrow.

I was wondering if there were any Broadleafs for sale?

I am new here, been lurking for a while now.

Fred

Old 03-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: rob

I was there on Friday evening. I spent most of my quality time at Dan Mckee's booth, thumbing through his t206 binder with a complete set and some very cool proofs and other printing flaws. He also managed to give me a near cardiac arrest by taking his Plank off the table without telling me so I thought a passerby had made off with it. I did manage to purchase a t213-3 Evers card from him for sentimental reasons. It was in a group of cards I bought that got me into this hobby about 5 years ago so getting it back was pretty cool. Other than chatting with Dan the show was rather uneventful. I did say hello to Ted briefly, but didnt stay too long to get home before the storm. I agree with the previous posters, many goodies at the auction sites, but in the end unless you really want a card, you tend to overpay or not pay at all because the prices on the nicer stuff is a bit high...Rob

Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: MVSNYC

"I spent most of my quality time at Dan Mckee's booth, thumbing through his t206 binder with a complete set and some very cool proofs and other printing flaws."

same for me, rob...it was great meeting you dan (insane T206 binder!), and ted Z as well (loved your T206 Sovereign Set!)

also spoke with dave forman (SGC was a pleasure to deal with), doug allen, wonka, joe d, mike gray, arthur, toby, etc...

was a pleasure meeting Henry Thomas, who is walter johnson's grandson. i bought his CD of Larry Ritter's "The Glory of Their Times".

great turn-out, glad to see it so busy.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Alan

I was there Friday night. It seemed that some of the dealers including Flyers hockey dealer Phil Spector and Boxing dealer Gary Shultz were not there in their usual booths. It seemed to be fairly good crowd despite the talk of bad weather, which really didn't materialize until the last half hour or so. I saw Ted & Dan, but didn't want to interrupt their serious converstions. One of the dealers commented that "this show used to be fun & I made money, but now it's just fun". Most of the auction houses were represented & it was fun seeing the high quality material that's up in auction. I saw the actual Barney Dreyfuss card currently up for auction at the Goodwin booth & it looks like it could be a higher grade. REALLY nice !!! If I had the money, I would bid for it !!!

Even though I couldn't afford to buy anything, I still really enjoyed the show.

Alan

Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Steve

Paul, What's with the cold comment?.. It's just baseball cards for cripes sake. Noone asked your approval

Old 03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Jeff W.

How about some pics? I would love to see pictures of Dan's T206 album and Ted Z's all Sovereign set. It sucks living in Southern California, the only show that we can look forward to is the Hollywood Park show, and thats been getting worse every year!

Please help out a show neglected collector with pics of what a real show should look like!

Jeff W.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Phil, did they give you a choice on the holder for the Mendez, or did they encapsulate it like that in fear of damaging the card? I have some SGC graded Billikens and they really do look great in the custom holders they make for them. Still a great card, but I've never seen a Billiken holdered like that.
-Rhett

Old 03-02-2008, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Phil Garry

Rhett:

There was major concern about damaging the card and they felt it would be safer in the baggie to protect the card, which was my main concern.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:19 AM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Martin Neal

Had a great time at the Reading show for the little time I was there. Met Ted Z, Jim Rivera and Dan Mcgee and all the guys at SGC. I picked these up Friday night, the Hoblitzell is the pretty tough name spelled correctly (no Cin) variation. I have never seen one like the Easterly before. I took it to Dan's table and he had one that was similar. Great prices on both.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Phil, that was kinda what I figured they had done with the Mendez, as I had never seen a Billiken holdered in that fashion. Great card nonetheless.
-Rhett

Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: James Gallo

Well after being sad that the show is only twice a year now (probably late to this party) I was very suprised and happy with the show.

I went both Sat and Sun even though it is an hour each way for me but I felt there were some deals I could do on Sunday that I didn't have time for on Saturday so I went back and was very happy I did.

I found more cards I needed at this show then last years national...

I did my usual drop off at SGC and "yelled" at PSA for screwing up my last order (not that is did any good).

I was able to pick up 3 Boston Stores I needed and got an upgrade as well.
I was also about to upgrade 2 1915 Cracker Jacks I needed as well as add a 1914 I didn't have.

I did all this with a few cards and a small amount of cash which made it even better.

Here are my pick ups.

The Knabe is new the other three upgrades.

All in all I got 7 new pre-war Baseball cards plus an Abe Attel. One of the best shows I have been to in a long time.

I will say that beyond the Cracker Jacks I got there wasn't too much and the auciton houses certainly seem to get a great deal of higher end stuff these days. There were a few more cards I could have bought but the cash was on the low side.

I still haven't seen a 1915 CJ Cobb in lower then a 3 grade for sale in a long time and I just can't put 6-8K into that one card (I don't really like it much)

Look for my downgrades in the BST soon

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Mike

I went on Saturday and the show was very good. Met Mike Sarnov and Ted Z. Got to see Dan's t206 set. WOW!!It was my first Philly show and thought it was very good. My pickups for the show where a Colgan's Chip Proof Hal Chase and a bunch of t206s. I hope to see some more of you guys at the National.

Mike Gray
Looking for E98 Red Chase
gray766@hotmail.com

Old 03-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: dan mckee

It was great to see everyone and I had a very successful show. To the gentleman above who thought only the auction houses had the good vintage stuff, well I am sorry you missed my table. I did very wel Friday and Saturday and then sold the remaining stock on my entire table to Huggins and Scott auctions. Steve Verkman had first shot but passed. It was wonderful seeing Rona too, she is Steve's right hand woman! I treasure the many old timers who do not have computers that come by my table. We talk about the good ole days before grading changed the hobby. Ted's Sovereign set is amazing! Half of it was paper copies because I guess those cards are in slabs. Ted, bust them out of those Godforsaken slabs and slide them in your binder where they belong! Thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hello. Dan.

Jim Rivera, please call me tonight before 10 if you can, thanks.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Give me a break, guy. Of the 410 cards in my Sovereign Set, only 12 are in Graded holders (not half....boy, do you exaggerate).

And, I haven't cracked them open because they are PSA 5's or the SGC 60's. When, I get lesser graded ones of these, those
will be "liberated" and I will sell the PSA 5's and the SGC 60's.

Seriously, it's worth taking the trip to Reading just to see Dan's "strange" looking T206's. Really great stuff.

You aint going to see this kind of stuff on ebay....that's for sure.

T-Rex TED

Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Default Reading Show

Posted By: dan mckee

Jeff, I am sorry but scanning my entire T206 set just isn't my idea of a good time.