NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Ron Rice

Default T206 McQuillan No Cap Variation?

I picked up this T206 recently. It seems to be missing the blue and green ink. I thought it was interesting that McQuillan seems to have lost his cap!

See below for front and back scan and a scan of the card with all its colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McQuilllanA30001.jpg (29.7 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg McQuillanA40001.jpg (31.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg McquillanPSA4.jpg (67.9 KB, 199 views)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Tough to tell from the scan. Could it just be a case of extreme fading from long exposure to direct sunlight? Or chemical bleaching? If it actually is printing mistake then it's really neat. dave
Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Cap's there, color is not

Based on the scan, the color is obviously missing (or faded or something), but the cap is there.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Regrettably, the "color" is not missing, it's just badly faded (either by direct sunlight or a chemical spill). You can still see a bit of semblance of the blue sky, especially in the upper left corner. The team designation is also faded, which probably wouldn't occur on a card that was truly missing a color or two.

Lovely Day...
Old 02-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Ron Rice

Default McQuillan

It is odd that the black and brown tones have not faded, but the green is gone and almost all the blue.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Ron Rice

Default McQuillan

It reminded me of this Street card I bought a few years back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StreetMissing.jpg (72.4 KB, 153 views)
Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Ron,

I'm no print expert, so take these comments for what they are worth (which is about .09 cents if you factor inflation). The T206 Street card is spectacular and is truly missing colors. While, the T206 McQuillen is faded. Night and day difference between the two cards.

Nothing odd about the black and brown tones not fading (although, in the pic they do appear somewhat faded); all things being equal, you would expect both those colors to fade very slowly. In a T206 card, the red would go first, followed by yellow, green, and blue. It's just the way we see color, which is why when you are in a room with no lights everything around you appears black.

Lovely Day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
It is odd that the black and brown tones have not faded, but the green is gone and almost all the blue.

Last edited by iggyman; 02-02-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

I saw this BIN a few days ago before it sold. I was tempted, but had my doubts. Compared to 'real' scraps - this isn't one. Bleached or faded on the front IMHO. Plus the high BIN price with no mention possible ink flaws, fading, or printer's scrap...

Last edited by jp1216; 02-02-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Ron Rice

Default McQuillan

I've been collecting T206's for 35 years and I've never seen one with these odd characteristics. Green and blue badly faded, and other colors ok. The back is not faded. No evidence of glue or back damage from a scrapbook. If it had been soaked in a chemical or bleach I would have expected the back to fade and the browns/grays on the front to fade. I'm not sure how a T206 could fade in this manner. If anyone has scans of a similar situation I'd love to see it.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Missing blue, these were part of a large group that are believed to be faded.

Last edited by atx840; 02-02-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

The other colors are ok????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
I've been collecting T206's for 35 years and I've never seen one with these odd characteristics. Green and blue badly faded, and other colors ok.
The fact is that "all" the colors on the front of the T206 McQuillen are faded. Yes, even the brown and black colors. The brown color name and team designation is faded, the black "P" on his shirt is faded, the black border is faded, and lets not even talk about the cap. The only thing that looks good "color-wise" is his brown glove, black belt, and perhaps the black around his collar; but that should not be surprising, since we would expect the darker colors to fade very very very slowly compared to the other colors. I'm sorry to be a pest Ron, but I'm just not buying it, we will have to agree to disagree.

By the way, I will concede one point. When I saw this card on eBay, the only thing that was a little bit perplexing was the back side. As we all have learned, prolonged exposure to light will cause a T206 to fade (as the collage in the current Huggins and Scott auction easily proves). Light would be a possible explanation for the fading, but I believe that the McQuillen was exposed to chemicals. If that is the case, I have no intelligent explanation for the fact that the back side was left somewhat unscathed (the "red" Sweet Caporal colors are not that vibrant but they are far from faded). A chemical explanation of why the back seems unaffected is a little bit of a mystery to me, and luckily for both of us, I have no interest in submerging or even misting a T206 card with bleach.

Lovely Day...
Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Ron Rice

Default Blue fade

Chris,

On the M. Brown it is interesting that the blue ink seems to be missing. On the Bender, the blue is partly gone but the green remains. Perhaps there is some sort of chemical that could have caused this. How do the backs look on those? Were they scrapbook removal or faded?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I believe they were from a scrapbook, a few of the backs seemed okay and a few had chemical spots. I know a few are owned by board members.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Archive

Hi Ron

Your McQuillan has been chemically treated. The dead giveaway for me is the black coloration on the edges.

I say this because I own a T206 that was chemically treated. I know for a fact that my T206 was from a scrapbook which was purchased & posted by a board member. This scrapbook was sold shortly after to another board member who is known for his "card cleaning services".

A few weeks later this particular T206 shows up on Ebay being sold by the second board member. The one thing that stood out about the T206 after I received it was that the edges and corners were black like your McQuillan.

This T206 was very recognizable and I know for sure that its the same one from the scrapbook. Plus the first board member even verified that he had sold the scrapbook to the second board member.

The scary part is that I've seen other T206s with these black edges & corners and they are being slabbed.

Jantz

Tags
mcquillan, missing colors, t206