NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorob View Post
WOW, The Big Red One Just Totally Lowers The Boom on the 1970 Topps & Kellogg's Football.
Those raw cards are just off the charts John.
You have got the 1970 year covered in over all Mintness!!!
So now I know what kind of collecting animal, we're dealing with here. lol

The 1970 Cello's I have pictured are not sealed, but they're in pack fresh condition.

I'll see if I can find a few scans of some of my other 1970 Football stuff to possibly compliment your beautiful arsonal posted above.
Have to try and at least hold up my end of the bargin, so we can both try and keep Erik some what entertained here.

The stack of insert posters on the right, have never been unfolded.
Back in the day, I had these plastered all over my bedroom walls.
I was just looking over this thread again Kirk and noticed the posters earlier and meant to ask if they had ever been unfolded. Now I know.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Erik

Im a scanner junkie as well(as if you didn't already know)

Ive got three brother, but none of them were into the cards like I was when we were kids. With the kind of steller collection Kirk has been posting I would adopted him anyday as a Brother. I would even encourage him to keep his cards in my room!

As for how the Kelloggs cards were issued Im not sure, but I assume they could be had in the cereal boxes. Maybe Kirk has more insight on that.

I carefully scanned over the 70's pics you posted Kirk and did not see my White whale card, Dave Osborn #147

Also wanted to ask just how you came to have so much product like that?
It would certainly cost one a small fortune to aquire unopened boxes of 1970 product in todays crazy market. Im not even sure where one would find that kind of stuff. Kirk?

John
On the 1970 Kellogg's Issues ....... The 3-D's were issued one per box and they also had a mail in oppourtunity, where you could order the complete set.
I was eating Kellogg's Corn Flakes: Mourning, Noon & Night during that 1970 Season.
As my Mom would only buy another box once the current one was completely gone.
It got to the point where I was actually digging holes and burying the stuff in the back yard.
Kind of Pre John Wayne Gacy type stuff.
I can tell your examples were the mail in variety John, as you can tell buy the little .... for lack of a better term small "Chads" attachments still on the top of the cards.

I think quite possibly we might have also had a White Whale Siting.
I'll try and post up a scan here a little later once my camera battery charges up.

Funny Thing, as a kid Leroy Kelly was by far My favorite football player.
Man #44 from Morgan State.
The Ultimate Mudder, had the ability to run flat footed and still make his cuts.
Great Player there for a few years!

On a much more somber note, I became a Life Long Browns Fan in 1968.
Nuff said on that.

Last edited by mojorob; 12-23-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Erik

My condolences to you Kirk on being a Browns fan. I can relate a little as back in the 1970s O.J. Simpson was my favorite player so the Buffalo Bills were my favorite team. Talk about mediocre...the Bills had two and a half good seasons the whole decade and could not for the life of them beat the Dolphins. Top all that off with the saga of O.J. after football.

My family grew up eating Kelloggs Corn Flakes and Rice Krispies. My parents never bought the good stuff. The good stuff being all cereals that had the word "sugar" in their title such as Sugar Frosted Flakes and Sugar Corn Pops. I had to sleep over at my neighbors house to enjoy the sugar laden cereals the next day and of course, I would have several bowls to make up for the lack sweet cereal at my house.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorob View Post
On the 1970 Kellogg's Issues ....... The 3-D's were issued one per box and they also had a mail in oppourtunity, where you could order the complete set.
I was eating Kellogg's Corn Flakes: Mourning, Noon & Night during that 1970 Season.
As my Mom would only buy another box once the current one was completely gone.
It got to the point where I was actually digging holes and burying the stuff in the back yard.
Kind of Pre John Wayne Gacy type stuff.
I can tell your examples were the mail in variety John, as you can tell buy the little .... for lack of a better term small "Chads" attachments still on the top of the cards.

I think quite possibly we might have also had a White Whale Siting.
I'll try and post up a scan here a little later once my camera battery charges up.

Funny Thing, as a kid Leroy Kelly was by far My favorite football player.
Man #44 from Morgan State.
The Ultimate Mudder, had the ability to run flat footed and still make his cuts.
Great Player there for a few years!

On a much more somber note, I became a Life Long Browns Fan in 1968.
Nuff said on that.
+1

I spent the 70s eating/drinking my way toward a collection

Kelloggs, Hostess, Sugar Daddies, Squirt, etc.

jeff
Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 AM

New to the forum...Need i say that the 1975 set is my favorite....Have bought vending boxes, packs, racks, and other collections. Love the color, and this set has about 70+ HOF player cards in it.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmatpal View Post

New to the forum...Need i say that the 1975 set is my favorite....Have bought vending boxes, packs, racks, and other collections. Love the color, and this set has about 70+ HOF player cards in it.
Welcome to the forum ronmatpal.

Ah, my favorite O.J. card. I was such an O.J. and Bills fan in the mid 70's. I even cried after they lost a game to the Jets in 1974 and my older sister made fun of me.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 12-31-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Jay Shelton

One thing I liked about the 1977 football set are the Cleveland Browns (although I am not a Browns fan by any means). The majority of the Browns cards were in-action (Sipe, Pruett come to mind), and the orange pants and white face masks really set off the uniforms (still the best Browns look IMO). Also was the first depiction (in uniform) of the Buccaneers and Seahawks.

I remember we were always trading each other as kids for the Bucs and Seahawks cards, regardless of player, because they were the new teams, and everyone wanted the cards. I thought the Bucs orange and red uniforms were very cool at the time (although I wondered why no cards featured the orange jerseys - now I know why years later), and I still like them….

Last edited by Jayworld; 01-14-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Jeff P

I'm a big fan of the 1971 set. I LOVE clean designs on cards ... no pennants, ribbons, sparkles, blinking lights, 3-d effects, etc. Just give me a nice solid color or two and I'm golden.

Most of my 1971 set is raw but here are a few odds and ends I've picked up through the years. I hope you like.

jeff
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Jeff H

My vote for favorite set of the 70's would have to be for either the 71 or 72 set. They could be in any order for me as best set.
I will add that finishing the 72 set was a lot of fun. The chase to find the cards to complete the 72 set was a blast. I had so much fun searching different shops around the country during my work travels. Met some really neat shop owners along the way also.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:23 PM

I have to admit that I too really like the 75 Topps Set and its design.
The set also features many now classic in action shots as well.

But im going to have to go with the others on the 71 and 72 sets. Both hold a special creativity in design and color schemes that just was never repeated or attempted throughout the rest of the decade.

Rats and DOUBLE RATS!!! The absolute worst feature of this message board. It only allows you to post 18 pics per post.

Oh well, We'll have to look at some 72's later.

John
Old 01-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Erik

John, I like when you break out the scanner and show some of your gems.

The funny thing about the Lawrence McCutcheon card is it looks like they are playing in an empty stadium from the picture on the card.

Also, I believe that is Joe Ferguson getting tackled by the Dolphins Bill Stanfill. Typical of the Dolphins 1970s domination of the Buffalo Bills.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

My vote goes to 1972.
By far the toughest set for me to build. The High#'s almost cost me a marriage

I love the "Pro Action" in the entire set, but the "All Pro" cards in the High #'s, with the All White Borders are just BEAUTIFUL!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
I have to admit that I too really like the 75 Topps Set and its design.
The set also features many now classic in action shots as well.

But im going to have to go with the others on the 71 and 72 sets. Both hold a special creativity in design and color schemes that just was never repeated or attempted throughout the rest of the decade.

Rats and DOUBLE RATS!!! The absolute worst feature of this message board. It only allows you to post 18 pics per post.

Oh well, We'll have to look at some 72's later.

John
GREAT cards, John. Simply awesome!

jeff
Old 12-29-2015, 07:08 AM
Erik

Nice article from Sports Collectors Daily that ties in with this thread on 1970's Topps Football.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...irbrushed-era/
Old 01-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Jay T.

1975 was magical for me. I had very few football cards but my friend had a ton of these. I suppose I may have bought one or two packs of 1975s. The first set I really bought any significant amount of packs was from 1977.
Both of these have sentimental meaning to me, although I enjoy the 1975 set more. What I dislike most about the set is the hard to read numbers on the back.
If I were to rank them in order, I'd go like this...

If you want the nicest set of all, the Kelloggs sets were clearly nicer than anything Topps offered.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Jeff P

Thanks all for reviving this thread! To help people decide what they like, here is a scan of each year:

jeff
Old 01-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Rob

Love this thread. I literally purchased my first packs in 1970 and last in 1979, I was truly a '70s kid. I must say, I love them all, and purchased untold numbers of packs, probably ending up with well over a thousand each year, one pack at a time. Kind of like picking my favorite child, but I would have to go with the '74 and '75 sets. I know most don't like the '74, but it just holds a special place for me.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:41 PM
€d M!££w00D

1975 gets my vote, but love the backs of the 76 set. Very easy to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 01-06-2016, 11:47 PM

New to the boards.
My favorite set is the '77.
I remember my friend telling me about these packages you could buy at the convenience store that had little pieces of cardboard in them with pictures of football players on them.
I went with him and when I opened my first pack with Roger staubach staring back at me, it was all over. Not too mention the smell of the gum. Intoxicating.
I also like the '76 set because of the football design on the front.
This thread is convincing me I need to get started on a '75 set pronto. It looks great.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 AM
Jeff P

Thanks all for reviving this thread! I like'em all!

jeff
Old 01-07-2016, 06:01 AM
Erik

Jeff, thanks for doing a scan for each year.

Back at the start of this thread in 2014 I stated the '76 set was my personal favorite because it was the first year I started collecting football cards a lot.

But, the more I see cards from 1975, the more I like it as it has so many game action shots including my favorite O.J. card of his career.

The ONLY thing I did not like about 1970's Topps Football. No team logos which meant lots of air brushing.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:39 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Enjoyed reading through this thread again. I may have shared my "1971 Topps Pin-Ups" story before but I can't remember.
A couple of years ago I was at our local monthly show, and a dealer had a near set (missing only Dick Butkus) of 1971 Pin-Ups all PSA slabbed and graded. I thought they looked pretty awesome in those slabs but wasn't really that interested in them. But it was obvious the dealer was tired of dragging them around (they weigh 19 pounds!) and I bought the near set for $100 ($3.25 each already slabbed?). I purchased this PSA graded Butkus on Ebay, and I now have the #2 set in the PSA Registry! (Well there are only two sets submitted!)
I think these things would look awesome displayed on a wall in a "man-cave"
Larry
Old 01-07-2016, 08:30 AM
Erik

Very nice Larry.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Jeff P

Sorry for the double post. I got an error on the first one and didn't think it worked.

Let's not forget the oddball stuff! Maybe someone prefers one of these:

1970 Carleson-Frink Dairy

1971 Bazooka

1970s Lil Caesars

1975 McDonald's QBs

jeff
Old 01-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Enjoyed reading through this thread again. I may have shared my "1971 Topps Pin-Ups" story before but I can't remember.
A couple of years ago I was at our local monthly show, and a dealer had a near set (missing only Dick Butkus) of 1971 Pin-Ups all PSA slabbed and graded. I thought they looked pretty awesome in those slabs but wasn't really that interested in them. But it was obvious the dealer was tired of dragging them around (they weigh 19 pounds!) and I bought the near set for $100 ($3.25 each already slabbed?). I purchased this PSA graded Butkus on Ebay, and I now have the #2 set in the PSA Registry! (Well there are only two sets submitted!)
I think these things would look awesome displayed on a wall in a "man-cave"
Larry
To me, that's a major score. Love the oddball stuff like that, and to get them slabbed to boot, oh man, wish I could run across a deal like that.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:04 AM
Erik

Spotlight on the 1975 Topps set right here:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...s-bumper-crop/
Old 01-14-2016, 09:22 AM

1970 is my favorite of not just the decade, but of all time.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:22 AM
shawn

I like them in order of year tho 71 then 70, 72, 73 etc.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:07 PM
Erik

Default 1973 Topps Football Started New Era

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...arted-new-era/
Old 01-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Sam Lemoine

Hmmm... It says "with 528 cards, it more than doubled the 1972 product"... The 72 set has 351 cards. Is my math off?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
Hmmm... It says "with 528 cards, it more than doubled the 1972 product"... The 72 set has 351 cards. Is my math off?
My bet is they forgot about the high numbers in '72.

jeff
Old 07-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Erik

Default 1976 Topps Football

One of my favorite sets from 70s profiled at Sports Collectors Daily.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...able-with-age/