NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Richard Simon

Default Why does Topps love to destroy history?

Here is an ebay auction with a chase card bearing a signature of "heodore roosevel"
Why must they cut up a letter and then destroy the signature on top of that?
F--- Topps,
from a Theodore Roosevelt collector

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPS-TRIPPL...item3380ca2315
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-20-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Steve Zarelli

Truly disgusting.

Chopping the end off a common Mickey Mantle signature is bad enough. Chopping up a Theodore Roosevelt autograph is nearly criminal.

The mind boggling aspect is this signature on a letter with routine content might be $700 give or take. The same signature cut up and out of context on a cheesy card and they are asking $2,500?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Absolutely disgusting...showed to wife and her words exactly; "they're destroying history"
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Richard you are 100 percent correct and those that have also agreed, you are all correct. I agree with everyone that said it is sad.
I have this one question. You have ten Lou Gehrig's autographs.Topps calls on the phone and offers you a more than fair price. Do you say no I wont take your money or do you say yes?
Be honest. Yes or No nothing else. What ever they do with those autographs are up to them.

Last edited by shelly; 03-20-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Truly disgusting.
The mind boggling aspect is this signature on a letter with routine content might be $700 give or take. The same signature cut up and out of context on a cheesy card and they are asking $2,500?

Maybe the other $1800 is made up from that awesome authentic piece of White House floorboard embedded in it also.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 PM
John Smithwick

On the Roosevelt auto for example, are the ends actually cut off or are they hidden under that fancy matte? Also, has anyone torn one of those cards apart to see how the auto is mounted? Are they taped or glued,or just there, held in tight by the pressure of the cardboard front and backs?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:

Well, it's 1/1 this way.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 PM

I hope Topps at least buys the signatures as cuts. Has anyone spotted a before item that got made into a card?

Last edited by packs; 03-20-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Richard you are 100 percent correct and those that have also agreed, you are all correct. I agree with everyone that said it is sad.
I have this one question. You have ten Lou Gehrig's autographs.Topps calls on the phone and offers you a more than fair price. Do you say no I wont take your money or do you say yes?
Be honest. Yes or No nothing else. What ever they do with those autographs are up to them.
Answering hypothetical questions is pointless.
Give me 10 good Gehrig autographs and I will have 10 happy customers.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-21-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2678 View Post
On the Roosevelt auto for example, are the ends actually cut off or are they hidden under that fancy matte? Also, has anyone torn one of those cards apart to see how the auto is mounted? Are they taped or glued,or just there, held in tight by the pressure of the cardboard front and backs?
John - these cards sell for such a ridiculous premium, when compared to a cut autograph, that nobody would actually take them apart to try to answer what you are asking. Why pay $2500 for an autograph that appears to be short two letters? You can pay a whole lot less for a much better example.
Just because some card company created a totally phony shortage by labeling the "thing" 1/1? Is that worth the premium that sellers try to sell it for. This is just the greater fool theory at its finest example.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-21-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I hope Topps at least buys the signatures as cuts. Has anyone spotted a before item that got made into a card?
I have not.
However, in the example I cited of Theodore Roosevelt, it is much easier to find a letter or document signed by him than it is to find a cut signature.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-21-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I have not.
However, in the example I cited of Theodore Roosevelt, it is much easier to find a letter or document signed by him than it is to find a cut signature.
Right. With the exception of card companies, I have not heard of any dealer or collector cutting apart a letter signed by a president to make a "cut." They are sold and collected in letter form.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Richard Simon

And for $2500 I can get some nice signed pieces, yes plural, of Theodore Roosevelt, instead of one cut of "heodore roosevel"
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-21-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Scott

Quote:
Right. With the exception of card companies, I have not heard of any dealer or collector cutting apart a letter signed by a president to make a "cut." They are sold and collected in letter form.
Coach's corner does that w their Hysterical autographs. (Note: NOT historical).
Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
John - these cards sell for such a ridiculous premium, when compared to a cut autograph, that nobody would actually take them apart to try to answer what you are asking. Why pay $2500 for an autograph that appears to be short two letters? You can pay a whole lot less for a much better example.
Just because some card company created a totally phony shortage by labeling the "thing" 1/1? Is that worth the premium that sellers try to sell it for. This is just the greater fool theory at its finest example.
I'm with you on the chopping of a letter and the incomplete auto, but you must not understand why people collect baseball cards and why they hold any value at all.

Autographs? ZERO intrinsic value. Trading cards? ZERO intrinsic value. The value of these things is socially constructed, and it happens to be multiplied at their intersection. Greater fool theory? Lots of people think we members of this board are all fools for putting values on slips of paper that used to go in the trash. If people approached these things rationally, there would be no autograph dealers at all.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I'm with you on the chopping of a letter and the incomplete auto, but you must not understand why people collect baseball cards and why they hold any value at all.

Autographs? ZERO intrinsic value. Trading cards? ZERO intrinsic value. The value of these things is socially constructed, and it happens to be multiplied at their intersection. Greater fool theory? Lots of people think we members of this board are all fools for putting values on slips of paper that used to go in the trash. If people approached these things rationally, there would be no autograph dealers at all.
You are right in many respects Wayne but I can sell a Theodore Roosevelt autograph all over the civilized world but I could only sell a rookie card of Mike Trout in the good old USA. So autograph dealers might survive a bit longer than baseball card dealers in a rational world . But this is not a rational world, so why me worry??
--
Old 03-24-2013, 02:01 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
A fool and his money are soon parted!
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Jeff

Their products have become so non-compelling that even in despite of the lack of any meaningful competition they still have to have these "gimmick" cards to sell it. IMO

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 03-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Their products have become so non-compelling that even in despite of the lack of any meaningful competition they still have to have these "gimmick" cards to sell it. IMO
It's actually come full circle in a way: Originally, kids bought packs to get the bubble gum, and would flip, thumbtack, or subject to their spokes the rest of the cards in the pack. Now, they buy packs for the insert, and still could pretty much care less about the base cards in the pack. It's just that now, the "inserts" are slightly less edible
Old 03-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Scott

Someone on a FB page on my feed posted this "pulled beauty". IM SICK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JRCutoff.jpg (74.8 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Wayne Walker

That Jackie Robinson is god awful.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Is the 2/3 the amount of the signature visible?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 PM
John Smithwick

I would still like to know if the autographs are truly trimmed or just covered by the matte.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Scott

Fair question. if trimmed, as many of us suspect, its a travesty, as we have all said.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Whether trimmed or not, isn't the whole thing glued together? (Meaning, it's a moot point whether they trimmed the graph before sandwiching it between layers of cardstock and glue).
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
I would still like to know if the autographs are truly trimmed or just covered by the matte.
John - if you truly would like to know then there is only one way to find out.
--
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 AM
John Smithwick

Quote:
John - if you truly would like to know then there is only one way to find out.
I know, I know. I'm going to a card show Saturday and will be looking for something to break apart. I have a few already but not so bad as that Jackie Robinson. I have a Nellie Fox I can crack open but prefer something a little less expensive in case I get carried away with the hammer.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Scott

Quote:
I know, I know. I'm going to a card show Saturday and will be looking for something to break apart. I have a few already but not so bad as that Jackie Robinson. I have a Nellie Fox I can crack open but prefer something a little less expensive in case I get carried away with the hammer.

Not to mention that if they ARE just "hidden by matting" and YOU CAN get the stupid fake crap assembled phony "chase card" apart without damage to the signature, the FULL SIGNATURE cut would be worth more than the made up, artificially inflated rare originally purchased crap chase insert "card"
Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Not to mention that if they ARE just "hidden by matting" and YOU CAN get the stupid fake crap assembled phony "chase card" apart without damage to the signature, the FULL SIGNATURE cut would be worth more than the made up, artificially inflated rare originally purchased crap chase insert "card"

I don't think you are right there Scott.
The chase cards with cut sigs sell for much more than the individual cut sig.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-28-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Scott

Oh, I know Richard. Why did I type what I did? haha.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Oh, I know Richard. Why did I type what I did? haha.
--