NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2015, 03:57 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Default If anyone sees this Cy Young, please let me know

If anyone sees this card let me know via email (itjclarke@yahoo.com), it was in my back pack which was stolen out of my car today. My car was in a small "secure" garage underneath my storage building, which has several cameras and office staff who should be watching everyone come in and out. I was away from the car for maybe 30-45 minutes. This one stings, though other things lost in the bag probably hurt as much if not more (computer, external drives, and loads of other work and personal stuff). All said, I have to be thankful as it could've been far worse-- I had three more cards just picked up from PO in my center console. All were en route to my bank box after the stop at storage.

Been a strange year+, a still unsolved check scam, a theft, and a few slabs broken in the mail. I think it's a long shot I see the Young again, as I'm pretty sure my bag/computer have already made they're way onto SF's stolen street market (walked miles on/around mid-Market St, and a couple described my bag and computer to a T, one even saying it had been offered to him, but his passing because computer was an "old Dell"). Guessing a lot of stuff ended up in the trash, possibly including the card, but hoping it'll at least make it to a pawn shop and survive... then eventually resurface in the market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E90-1 Cy Young.jpg (76.7 KB, 981 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a shame Ian. These cards are like fingerprints and hopefully it will show up and be recovered. BTW, that is one of my fave cards in the hobby (as if most don't know.) If you want to you can bump this thread every few days for a while. Good luck....
Old 08-15-2015, 06:37 AM
Rob G.

Sorry Ian Hope you eventually get your stuff back
Old 08-15-2015, 07:35 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2015, 07:53 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Young

One of my favorite cards as well. So sorry. That does sting. Hopefully some idiot makes a mistake and it shows up. Good luck
Old 08-15-2015, 12:44 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Man that sucks. I'll definately keep an eye out. Check craigslist a lot too. It could pop up there eventually.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Brian T.

That's just awful, Ian. I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Jeff

Oh man, sorry to hear about this.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My condolences.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Luke Lyon

So brutal. I'm sorry man
Old 08-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Brad Pencil

You are having a rough year Ian, things will get better I hope!
Old 08-15-2015, 03:52 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Thanks guys, yeah rough (and very weird) year indeed. Funny though, the rest of my life has been pretty good and drama free in that time, just lots of card drama.

One bit of positive news, my renter's insurance told me they expect this theft will be covered under my policy. Finger crossed there.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:33 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

sorry to hear about this

Last edited by oldjudge; 08-15-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Daryl

Stories like this make my stomach turn. I'm very sorry to hear this.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:43 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
If anyone sees this card let me know via email (itjclarke@yahoo.com), it was in my back pack which was stolen out of my car today. My car was in a small "secure" garage underneath my storage building, which has several cameras and office staff who should be watching everyone come in and out. I was away from the car for maybe 30-45 minutes. This one stings, though other things lost in the bag probably hurt as much if not more (computer, external drives, and loads of other work and personal stuff). All said, I have to be thankful as it could've been far worse-- I had three more cards just picked up from PO in my center console. All were en route to my bank box after the stop at storage.

Been a strange year+, a still unsolved check scam, a theft, and a few slabs broken in the mail. I think it's a long shot I see the Young again, as I'm pretty sure my bag/computer have already made they're way onto SF's stolen street market (walked miles on/around mid-Market St, and a couple described my bag and computer to a T, one even saying it had been offered to him, but his passing because computer was an "old Dell"). Guessing a lot of stuff ended up in the trash, possibly including the card, but hoping it'll at least make it to a pawn shop and survive... then eventually resurface in the market.
Ian,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Having said this, I have a question for you.

May we open this thread up to everyone who has lost a card under similar circumstances?

A single thread here which shows all of the lost, stolen cards would be a great resource.

Please let me know if you are OK with this idea.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Lewis Vintage Collectibles

Quote:

Damn Im sorry bro. So keep your eyes on ebay and if u see it buy it. Tell the guy after that you dont have pay pal and need to overnight him a cashier check. Once u get that address call the cops and give it to them. Good luck buddy
Old 08-15-2015, 10:29 PM
Bry@n

I like this idea a lot but think we should start a new thread called something more general like "Stolen/Lost Cards".

I am sorry to hear about your loss and definitely hope your renter's insurance covers it.

My one suggestion: make sure your police report has the serial number on the slab and your scan, even if it is just a print out, so that you don't need to waste any time proving that stuff if this shows up later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Ian,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Having said this, I have a question for you.

May we open this thread up to everyone who has lost a card under similar circumstances?

A single thread here which shows all of the lost, stolen cards would be a great resource.

Last edited by Jobu; 08-15-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Ian....

I myself have been a victim of criminals (SCUM). While I was in my early 20s and doing the Albany Polish Community Shows with Ed Keetz, someone stole a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth out of my showcase (I had gone to bathroom and to get a bite and my friend was watching table!) and no he did not take the card! There were other big thefts that day. That hurt a lot.

As a baseball card store owner in the 1990s in Vermont, I was burglarized at night to the tune of about $10,000 in cards with a huge hole in my wall (where they smashed the drywall (I guess that is the preferred mode of entry when you have steel double locked doors). Try convincing an insurance company that cards are worth what they are worth! That really sucked.

Hang in there. This card is unique enough that it may surface and if anyone on here sees it, then you will get it back I'm sure.

I will pay this forward and do a good deed for you. Please PM me your mailing address and you will then get a free surprise sports card gift from Vermont. No charge. No gimmicks. Just a way to help you in a little bit to see that the world is not all that bad. I do not even know what I will send you but will figure it out when you send me your address. Hit me up.

Thanks,

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 08-15-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:04 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I myself have been a victim of criminals (SCUM). While I was in my early 20s and doing the Albany Polish Community Shows with Ed Keetz, someone stole a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth out of my showcase (I had gone to bathroom and to get a bite and my friend was watching table!) and no he did not take the card! There were other big thefts that day. That hurt a lot.

As a baseball card store owner in the 1990s in Vermont, I was burglarized at night to the tune of about $10,000 in cards with a huge hole in my wall (where they smashed the drywall (I guess that is the preferred mode of entry when you have steel double locked doors). Try convincing an insurance company that cards are worth what they are worth! That really sucked.

Hang in there. This card is unique enough that it may surface and if anyone on here sees it, then you will get it back I'm sure.

I will pay this forward and do a good deed for you. Please PM me your mailing address and you will then get a free surprise sports card gift from Vermont. No charge. No gimmicks. Just a way to help you in a little bit to see that the world is not all that bad. I do not even know what I will send you but will figure it out when you send me your address. Hit me up.

Thanks,

Peace, Mike
Great gesture...you da man, Mike!

Sorry to hear about the theft Ian...really sucks, man Keep your head up and hopefully insurance will cover it.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 08-16-2015, 02:14 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Ian,

Hi Eric, that's fine, I don't mind. Seems a good idea given there are probably a handful of other stolen cards out there. As Leon says, each have their own fingerprints, so even if cracked out, they should often be identifiable.

Anyone who's had anything taken, feel free to post here.

Separately, Mike, thanks a million.. that's really nice of you.

Ian
Old 08-16-2015, 07:37 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Whatever happened on the check scam...i thought that got resolved..
Old 08-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Steve

I'm sorry to hear about the card, Ian.

It also seems like you're not the only one dealing with theft issues, according to data this week:

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/San...ns-6447584.php

Best,
Steve
Old 08-16-2015, 10:39 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the card, Ian.

It also seems like you're not the only one dealing with theft issues, according to data this week:

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/San...ns-6447584.php

Best,
Steve
Oh I do know this well, I used to live in So of Market and my car window was smashed 10-12 times. Difference then was my car was parked on the street, and the crooks got little more than business cards and loose change.

I've been in a much mellower neighborhood the past 3 years, so maybe got a little complacent. Still amazed it happened in a garage like this though. Cameras, and front desk staff with clear views of the very small lot. From what I learned cruising around the street Friday night, these guys have it pretty well organized. Think there are a handful of guys who buy and consolidate the stolen goods from the break in guys. They store them in parked cars, and then make the deals on foot (Market St, Polk St, other). Seems they aim to sell stuff the same day, but if they're not able to, there's apartments/hotel rooms/storage with hoards of stuff.

Re- previous post and the check fraud. As of now, I've gotten my money back from my bank, but still have no further explanation from them, or from the seller (Timelord).

Last edited by itjclarke; 08-16-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Would someone with VCP please give me VCP on this Cy Young (PSA3 and/or SGC40). I've got several sales recorded and seen it sell anywhere from about $900 to $1900. Expect average is about $1200-$1300 but would like to provide a more precise reference for insurance. Thanks
Old 08-20-2015, 01:08 AM
je.sse @rnot

7/7/15 eBay Auction | Image pwcc_auctions 6***b 25 $1,235.00
3/28/14 Goodwin Image 12 $1,041.25
9/20/13 Goodwin Image 18 $1,343.51
5/13/12 REA Image 10 $1,185.00
7/16/09 19th Century Only Image 13 $1,443.25
12/19/08 Mastro 24 $1,920.00
10/22/08 Huggins & Scott Image 10 $1,265.00 Proof
12/18/07 eBay Image recordsncards pw112755pw 25 $1,366.00
11/1/07 Old Judge $1,576.30
2/13/07 eBay $1,925.00

Sorry the format didnt copy right. They list the average at 1,235 for the only sale in 2015. That's for SGC 40
Old 08-20-2015, 01:09 AM
je.sse @rnot

I guess it copied fine, just not in the box before I posted it
Old 08-20-2015, 01:57 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Thanks a million Jesse, a little higher than I'd guessed... roughly $1430 average for past 10 sales.

Will see if insurance pays out.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:32 AM
Bill Gregory

Ian, that really sucks. I'm so sorry. Such a beautiful card..

What is wrong with people today?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:19 AM

I will keep my eyes open. I hate thieves and the punishment is not hard enough for these people.

Have you tried E-bay, Craigs List, Pawn Shops, Police your local LCS?
I dont know if there is a way but can you look up the serial number on any of the card sites and see if you get a hit?
Old 08-20-2015, 11:46 AM

That blows Ian. I hope it turns up someplace. Will keep an eye out for you in the Bay Area.

Ricky Y
Old 08-20-2015, 07:04 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Thanks guys. Without divulging too much (think there's a 0.0001% chance these guys read N54), I am surprised but very happy with SFPD's response. We've got some nice clues, which helped get their attention initially, and now seems like there's actually a chance to get them. Will post if they do get caught.

I did check CL and set up an eBay search. I also called a card shop and a few pawn shops, but apparently SF pawn shops alreday have to submit all items purchased to the SFPD. This is a searchable data base, so the detective will be able to keep an eye out there. Even if the crooks do happen to read this, my guess is it's nearly certain everything of value has been moved/sold by now (1st day), or thrown away.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:54 PM

Good luck with this Ian. Hopefully something was seen on a video camera somewhere. It's tough to get away with stuff these days since cameras are just about everywhere (I'm talking the closed circuit video camera types).
Old 08-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sure hope it shows up. Stranger things have happened.

Quote:
Thanks guys. Without divulging too much (think there's a 0.0001% chance these guys read N54), I am surprised but very happy with SFPD's response. We've got some nice clues, which helped get their attention initially, and now seems like there's actually a chance to get them. Will post if they do get caught.

I did check CL and set up an eBay search. I also called a card shop and a few pawn shops, but apparently SF pawn shops alreday have to submit all items purchased to the SFPD. This is a searchable data base, so the detective will be able to keep an eye out there. Even if the crooks do happen to read this, my guess is it's nearly certain everything of value has been moved/sold by now (1st day), or thrown away.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:25 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Thanks a million Jesse, a little higher than I'd guessed... roughly $1430 average for past 10 sales.

Will see if insurance pays out.
No problem, glad to help a little. I know the feeling. I had a break in a couple of months after my wife and I bought our first house. I had just gotten back into collecting and they took everything. Insurance covered most of what we lost, but it was a huge hassle. And being unable to feel safe in your own house is not good.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 08-22-2015 at 06:26 PM.