NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default E100s on the bay

I don't usually out ongoing auctions on ebay but some of these from this seller concern me. The graded E100s look fine. The ungraded ones not so much. I emailed the seller telling them that the type 2s don't come in blue and they didn't respond to me (from several days ago). I would be careful bidding on the ungraded ones.....(actually, I wouldn't bid on them). They look really fuzzy from the scans and not like the graded ones.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...at=0&_from=R40

Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Marvellous Mark

The two cards the seller lists as Type 2 are actually Type 1. The blue Thomas couldnt be a Type 2 due to color, as Leon points out, it is also a Type 1 crop. The Burrell is a Type 1 crop as well.

The graded cards are fairly in focus and well lit. The raw cards are very fuzzy and tightly over-cropped. The Zeenuts are barely visible due to lack of light and poor focus. Some might be legit, but not presented in a fashion that maximizes confidence, or maximizes bidding/prices for the seller.

Hard to be confident buying the first ever Type 2 blue background and uncatalogued Thomas with a fuzzy focused cropped scan.

Feedback for seller, from a reputable ebay seller, sez TRADE WITH CONFIDENCE. FAST PAYMENT, GOOD COMMUNICATION. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I would take that to be a reference to this seller being a buyer, rather than a seller.

As always, when in doubt, I prefer to touch it and smell it before I purchase it.

Last edited by MMarvelli; 03-22-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Alex

It comes back to smell.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
It comes back to smell.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:40 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

The Burrell is sort of interesting. No, it's not a Type 2 since a Type 2 would be facing the opposite direction that the Type 1s do. But it is a blank back (unless skinned), which IS a characteristic of Type 2 e100s. Type 1s only come with a checklist back.

I put a few low bids in on type 1s but didn't win any. The scans do look fuzzy, I agree. But it could also be a case of a bad scanner. Looks like the same individual won most of the cards though...
Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Dan Studebaker

Just to clarify what Brian said above since it is a little misleading. The two Thomas and the Burrell are not type 2s simply both because of the wrong color as Mark mentioned (Type IIs only come in dark green and orange, not blue or regular green) plus the font is different. It would be really tough to skin an e100 as they are so thin. My guess is that they are pasted on another piece of paper.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As much as I tried to theorize what the ungraded e100s were, they always came back to being bogus to me. I thought the type 2s they were selling were maybe some kind of one offs (as these white ones are).....but the blurriness of them coupled with the good ones being graded, and looking different, made me shy away. These 2 white "scraps" were found in an original collection with several real type 2s. They are the only kind of these I have seen...I think they were pre-production types or test e100s.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarvelli View Post
As always, when in doubt, I prefer to touch it and smell it before I purchase it.
Words to live by.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Barry Arnold

Default leon

I'm really grateful that you 'outed' this one. I don't usually peruse ebay.
I've been needing an e100 for ages and was pleased to pick up
the red steen graded for a great price.
many thanks.
since the seller had a number of graded e100s as well as the ungraded ones in question, it was difficult to decide about the ungraded ones. And as mentioned earlier, the seller did have great comments from David and
100% positive feedback.
still, I'm happy for the graded one that I won.

best,
barry
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

I think that there's still a decent chance all those ungraded cards are legit despite the bad scans, but that doesn't explain why the graded cards had good scans and the ungraded ones were blurry.

I did notice that he had some really beat zeenuts as well with blurry scans. Those are maybe 20-30 in value in that condition...not really worth the effort to create a reprint of something so invaluable. So the ungraded cards had bad scans consistently at least.

He also has nearly 3000 feedback and a 14 day return policy so those are both good signs too. Perhaps he's just guilty of not knowing the difference between a type 1 and type 2?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
I think that there's still a decent chance all those ungraded cards are legit despite the bad scans, but that doesn't explain why the graded cards had good scans and the ungraded ones were blurry.

I did notice that he had some really beat zeenuts as well with blurry scans. Those are maybe 20-30 in value in that condition...not really worth the effort to create a reprint of something so invaluable. So the ungraded cards had bad scans consistently at least.

He also has nearly 3000 feedback and a 14 day return policy so those are both good signs too. Perhaps he's just guilty of not knowing the difference between a type 1 and type 2?
I agree they looked sort of good but really blurry. I am not saying he was doing anything dishonest but I still wonder why he had a blue one listed as a type 2 and only the fake looking ones weren't graded? Two important questions. Not to mention he never answered my legitimate question either. But the return policy is good......so who knows?
Old 03-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Dan Studebaker

I believe he listed the blue one as a Type 2 because it had a blank back. Not everyone knows what a Type 2 is, and in uncommon issues like this sometimes people make mistakes.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:59 PM
pete ullman

Let the waffling ensue...until the truth be known.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Dan, I'd tend to agree. And because the green one is a color type 2s come in, or close at least, it's easy to see why he made that mistake there.

Although are type 1s with blank backs known to exist? I suppose lots of caramel issues that don't normally show up with blank backs, eventually have one or more turn up. E90-1s, e92s, e93s, e97s, etc...etc... "T" cards, "M" cards and "D" cards are all the same way -- t205s, t207s, m116s, d310s, and on and on. None of these issues are supposed to have blank backs but occasionally you see one turn up.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Dan Studebaker

The only Type 1 that I have seen with a blank back has been shown earlier in this thread by Leon. I have never seen another, but as always Mark Macrae would be the person to ask.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There were just too many yellow flags with the auction. I hope folks who bid on the ungraded ones know e100s......

Here is my favorite one, and as far as I know, the only orange Weaver in the hobby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe100type2weaver2.jpg (79.6 KB, 269 views)
Old 03-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Barry Arnold

Default info.

I received a very nice response to my email to the seller of the e100s .
I sent the note, soon after Leon's initial post.
His response this evening was that he had just gotten out of the hospital, having a bout with pneumonia, and would get right on things tomorrow morning.
Just a bit more information for your thinking caps.
I must say that I'm eager to hear from folks on the board who won the
ungraded cards. Please report on this when you can.

all the best,
barry
Old 03-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

I'll second what Barry said and will come clean to the board on something - I won one of the ungraded cards.

I won't mention which one or go into details on why I bid on it for right now. I will add though that it is one of the blank-backed cards. I did have faith in this particular seller due to his perfect feedback and return policy. I got some good advice from an Ebay rep as well so I feel good about things so far.

The seller got back to me with a very friendly note just yesterday, which, Barry, supports what he told you about not responding right away due to his bout with pneamonia. The big news here is that he offered to send me the card first, which blew me away. Very fair of him I thought so I was happy to accept his offer.

Will keep you all posted on what shows up in the mail next week.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I got a late reply too. My guess is it is a very good and legit seller with a few not so good cards. But I hope they are all good.....
Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Barry Arnold

Default brian m

thanks for your update.
I have my fingers crossed for you, ole buddy.
Do let us know how happy you are when the card arrives.
all the best,
barry
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 AM

Default E136

Did anyone purchase one of the 1911 Zeenuts this seller
had listed?
DID ANYONE BUY ONE OF THE 1911 ZEENUTS LISTED BY DANOSTRIKE?

Last edited by Ben Yourg; 04-05-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:58 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Semi Ironically...

...a couple of weeks ago I spent a few days in the hospital, also with a bout of "walking" pneumonia -- but no "boogie-woogie" flu. When I got out I had a chunk of emails/voicemails to be dealt with, along with catching up on Net54 threads. So, it does happen. No, I am not the seller in question

Last edited by Paul S; 04-04-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Barry Arnold

Default Paul S

glad that you're doing better now and back in the 'batter's box'!
a few days in the hospital is never fun.
all the best,
barry