NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM
Daryl

Default Bruce Dorskind's Collection

The thread about "mint" cards reminded me of our most famous stickler for mint condition prewar baseball cards: Bruce Dorskind.

What happened to his collection? Was it donated to a museum? Was it purchased in a private sale?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Bill T.

Bruce's uncut panel of 4 Boston Garters was in the spring '13 REA sale. http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=24541

Bill
Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Barry Sloate

I believe the bulk of it will be auctioned sometime this year. He never told me specifically what he was planning to do, so that is only an educated guess.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

This is all from memory, but I thought there was a thread where he said he was going to have REA sell his collection and the proceeds were going to go to a charity/organization, perhaps a hospital? Like I said, that was memory, but perhaps someone can search the archive.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 AM
David Pierson
Banned

You mean you can't take it with you?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

REA will be selling the Dorskind collection. I'm sure they will put something out etc.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
REA will be selling the Dorskind collection. I'm sure they will put something out etc.

I thought they did a good job presenting Mr. Joe P.'s collection; it's good to hear they're handling Mr. Dorskind's.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Barry Sloate

It's a beautiful collection, and it will draw a lot of bidding. I look forward to seeing it in the catalog.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Tony N.

Default Dorskind

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
It's a beautiful collection, and it will draw a lot of bidding. I look forward to seeing it in the catalog.
Barry,

I agree, he had some unbelievable items in his collection. Should be a great catalog.

Tony
Old 01-19-2014, 04:51 PM
R.L. Americana, LLC

REA will be offering the balance of Bruce Dorskind’s collection in the spring auction, but we will not be separating items out in their own section with great fanfare attributing them to Bruce’s collection as that was always specifically not Bruce’s wish. Bruce had actually been selling his collection off over the past ten years due to health reasons (and also buying at the same time, just on a smaller scale) at both REA (for selling the better items) and a couple of other auctions for selling more modest value items. Many collectors, of course, will recognize some of Bruce’s items in the upcoming spring REA catalog, and we will probably make note of a few of his favorites such as his Zimmer Game and Four Base Hits sample and Just So Tobacco card sample. Bill is absolutely correct that the Boston Garter Uncut Strip of Four Cards that appeared on the cover of the spring 2013 REA catalog was Bruce’s. This was his all-time favorite item and even with this, while he knew that many would recognize it was his, he specifically requested we keep his name out of the write-up and all promotional information.

Interesting untold background story to the Boston Garter Uncut Strip: Bruce was always clear that this was his #1 favorite item. When he called to ask about consigning it, I was kind of shocked. I always thought that would be the last thing to go. Bruce was extremely sick at this time. He had been sick for a long time but his health had been rapidly deteriorating. His only request, which I was happy to accommodate (and would have done so even without the special request) was that it appear on the cover of the REA catalog. He was very clear: That was his dream for his most special item. This was essentially a death bed request. He didn’t have to sell it but was consigning it so that he could hopefully live to see it appear on the cover (which was far from a certainty at the time). We knew his situation was dire and were extremely concerned that he would never get to see it, so we made sure to send him early cover designs, interior layout pdfs, and proof copies so that he could see everything as soon as we had it. Thankfully he was able to see and appreciate and enjoy the final presentation and the entire auction very much. The auction was very important to him. It was not so important to him exactly what it sold for, but that it was presented and shared with the world in a way that he felt did justice to it. He was very pleased about everything. Sometimes an auction is more than an auction. I always thought that the excitement of knowing the presentation of his top prize was in the near future may have even played a role in helping him continue on a little longer or with a little more strength than otherwise. At the very least, it was a dream that meant a lot to him fulfilled.

Sincerely,

Robert Lifson

Robert Edward Auctions LLC

www.robertedwardauctions.com

Last edited by Robert_Lifson; 01-19-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Daryl

Thank you very much for the post Mr. Lifson.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM

Default Our ''Hobby''

We have some awesome guys in our little world .
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM

Robert

Thanks for sharing that.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Great back story...thanks for sharing.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Dave_Berg

Puts things in perspective, thank you for that story
Old 01-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Thanks for chiming in Rob, well done.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 01-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for sharing the story, Rob, and good luck in the auction.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Barry Sloate

That was a great story. I know that Bruce's favorite single card was his Van Haltren Four Base Hits, which he purchased in the late 1970's for only several hundred dollars! I'm sure he would have loved to see it sell, but it wasn't meant to be.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Rob

thank you for a beautifully written and movingly articulated story of
Bruce's love for this amazing card and your most kind handling of his wishes.

all the best,
Barry
Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 PM
George Gogol

Rob,
What a wonderful tribute, thanks for sharing. I look forward to the spring auction.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 PM

Thanks so much for sharing that. Wonderful story.
Rob
Old 01-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Marty

Rob,

Thanks for the story on Bruce's collection and wishes. Looking forward to the Spring auction.

Marty
Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 PM

Default one more Dorskind story...

Bruce was always kind and friendly to me in our phone chats and in our dealings together. He had a true passion for the hobby, and not just for improving his own collection. Case in point: he had an item that would fill a hole in my collection and made sure we worked out a trade so I could acquire it from him. He didn't have to do that. He just wanted to be nice. That's the Bruce I knew.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Rob thanks, I met Bruce maybe 6 times and each time he took the time to talk to me a be very pleasant to me a nobody in the hobby. Bruce was a class act!
CN
Old 01-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Kenny Cole

LOL, what a bunch of revisionist history. I guess I'll be the bad guy and say it first. Bruce was a dick. The emails he would send you for almost no reason were so out of line as to be psychopathic. I had to block him and told him that if I ever saw him in person I would kick his fat ass. I wouldn't have pissed on him if he was on fire.

I don't wish for anyone to die, but I sure didn't mourn him for even a second when I heard he had. IMO, He was a sad, vile, POS. I hope REA performs an exorcism over his cards before they are sold so that there is no Brucii miasma hanging over them to curse the next owner.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Right On, Kenny! I agree.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Todd Schultz

Geez Kenny, did you have money on the 49ers?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Kenny Cole

Nope, Patriots.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Incredibly classy write up Rob, that was a testament to REA!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Bill Gregory

Ah, so this is what it means to experience synchronicity.

I received the spring 2006 issue of Old Cardboard a little over a week ago, and I immediately opened to the T202 Hassan Triple Folders article I purchased the magazine for. Opposite of the story was a full page advertisement for "America's Toughest Want List". As I looked over Bruce's ad, the question of "what happened to his collection?" popped into my head, and I thought for a second about posing the question here on the forum. But I soon became absorbed in the article, and completely forgot about doing so. So, imagine my surprise at seeing this discussion.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 PM

Wow... while the things said about Bruce may be true, there is a time and place for everything. Plus, it's not like you're telling us something we didn't already know or hear about many times before.

Nice writeup Rob. REA did indeed present that piece very well, especially with that cool, full size foldout. Looking forward to the next catalog...
Old 01-20-2014, 03:41 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Classy write up, Rob. Thanks for the interesting back story. Can't wait for the spring auction.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 AM
Barry Sloate

Bruce was polarizing. Sometimes he was a gentleman, other times his behavior was totally bizarre. He was a tough guy to figure out.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
LOL, what a bunch of revisionist history. I guess I'll be the bad guy and say it first. Bruce was a dick. The emails he would send you for almost no reason were so out of line as to be psychopathic. I had to block him and told him that if I ever saw him in person I would kick his fat ass. I wouldn't have pissed on him if he was on fire.

I don't wish for anyone to die, but I sure didn't mourn him for even a second when I heard he had. IMO, He was a sad, vile, POS. I hope REA performs an exorcism over his cards before they are sold so that there is no Brucii miasma hanging over them to curse the next owner.
Nuf ced!

A Brucii Haiku:

Sad little man,
Mean internet troll,
Died alone.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Kenny do you feel better? While I agree Bruce was an odd bird who said some nasty stuff. Does kicking the body of dead man really make it all better? If anything you just went to Bruce’s level, so even in death the guys getting the better of you.

David as for your post you were hardly a member here when Bruce was around so not sure why you’re jumping on the bandwagon?

I don’t think anyone is having a love in about Bruce I just think people are taking the high road and seeing what little positive there could be around a man who was very publicly negative a lot of the time.

Oh and I got my lawsuit threats, death threats and class war emails as well.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 01-20-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Brendan Mullen

Isn't a haiku:

??
Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Have to mostly agree with Wonka on this one. I am not sure he went after anyone more than myself. And I don't think he ever realized I was one of his only defenders on the board. When someone passes away, unless they physically hurt me or my family, I prefer to let it go. Bruce had some good qualities too. I think he led a complicated and uneasy life. RIP Bruce.....
Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Rich Klein

Default I got a couple of those from Bruce too

When he passed and I read the obits, he like many of us was a complicated man and I hope he found the peace he never did on earth.

And I hope wherever he is, he continues to find items for his collection

Rich
Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 AM
David Pierson
Banned

I suppose we should lighten up on the memory of a dead man. It's not like he got caught stealing from the NYPL or anything.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
And I hope wherever he is, he continues to find items for his collection
Are you kidding? While Kenny was taking the time to blast him, Bruce closed the deal on adding five more high-grade cards to the collection.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-20-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I suppose we should lighten up on the memory of a dead man. It's not like he got caught stealing from the NYPL or anything.
David besides tell tall tales about Brown Lenox cards you find in binders is there more to your shtick that I should know about?

My point was pretty simple most folks posting in here had beefs or butt heads with Bruce so I get the heat. You however were hardly here or not here at all when Bruce was on fire so I ask again besides looking to join in the rain deer games why jump on the bandwagon?

Last edited by wonkaticket; 01-20-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM
David Pierson
Banned

John, I was here, do the math. Dave.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Barry Sloate

Bruce did not know how to get along with the people on this board, there is no dispute there. Although he had many friends, mostly in business, he lived the life of a loner. He had no companion or children and chose to spend all his time and energy working and collecting. He did not have good social skills. I don't blame anyone on this board whom he attacked for being angry at him. But as John said, what is to be gained by having a cow now? He is no longer with us so let's just move on.

Last edited by barrysloate; 01-20-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Ryan Christoff

I like what Rob wrote, simply because it almost humanized someone who was barely human, outside of biology. I can understand why many think it best to let bygones be bygones now that Bruce is dead, but I don't think it's so easy for those whose families he threatened or wished to die. If you don't agree with Kenny posting about Bruce at all, that's one thing, but no one can deny that KENNY IS EXACTLY RIGHT. Everything he said about Bruce is true.

Personally, I don't harbor any feelings at all about Bruce. I realize who he was and his death doesn't wash that away. I don't feel the need to pile on and I believe in respecting the dead, but maybe this case is a bit of an exception to that for some people. He was an asshole to me sometimes, just like he was to everyone else, but he never threatened my family, so I actually found most of his rants against me and others to be humorous. But if he had crossed that line with me like he did with others, I would have tracked him down in person and there would have been consequences for his words. And I'd be spitting on his grave right now. Hopefully everyone that he treated that way can eventually let go of any feelings about Bruce because resentments are poison and they certainly aren't affecting Bruce. He's gone.

It helps to realize that no one can treat people so horribly unless they are miserable themselves or mentally ill. Perhaps some compassion would be appropriate for either one. And it's possible Bruce was both.

Sometimes when people speak kindly of Bruce, for the sole reason that is no longer with us, I wonder what Bruce would say about various people if they had died and he was still with us. I'm sure he's speak fondly and respectfully about them, right?

In any case, Bruce's life is incredibly sad to think about and serves as a cautionary tale to anyone born with the collecting gene. My biggest fear is winding up like him. An incomprehensibly shallow existence that gave new meaning to the word "alone."

-Ryan
Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

As I said before Kenny wasn’t wrong Bruce was a piece of work no doubt. All I’m saying is piling on a dead guy doesn’t make anything better. If anything it drags Kenny down to Bruce’s level as piling on a dead guy is something I can see Bruce doing. As for all the tough guy talk about tracking him down, beating him up that’s typical internet talk nothing more. Bottom line nobody did anything to Bruce ever. The guy pushed everyone’s buttons and nothing was done ever besides pissing and moaning and the occasional ban. Personally I was shocked he was allowed back on the board so many times, a few pissing matches some name calling all part of the internet experience. However using a forum and it’s contacts for death threats etc. not needed for me one death threat and that would have been the end of Bruce's membership.

In the end the guy died alone, with very few friends and certainly very little in the way of hobby respect the one thing he wanted more than all. To me what more could you want as payback on a guy?

Last edited by wonkaticket; 01-20-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 PM

I have been on the board for at least seven years now. I never met or spoke with the Brucii. I never did any deals with them (him) and he never said anything negative towards me.

HOWEVER........

I read plenty of things that he wrote and I found him to be a real _________ fill in the blank.

His elitist, snobbish attitude really rubbed me the wrong way.

Having said that, my questions are as follows: If a person is a (excuse the language that follows) dick, prick, asshole, POS, SOB, putz, etc, WHEN is the right time to say that?

Often times, it seemed, people would get in a confrontation on the board with the Brucii and others who weren't involved said that was Off Topic and should be taken off the board.

There were times that people would say something untowards about the Brucii and others would say that wasn't right because they (he) wasn't there to defend themselves (himself).

Now, after he is dead and gone, there have been people who have said what they honestly feel about the Brucii and others are saying that now is not the time and this is nto hte palce to say those things.

So, my questions are, for future reference, when and where is/are the right time to say those things?

I ask because there might be a time in the future that I might have to say something bad towards another board member and I want to know what the proper etiquette is for this type of behavior. I don't plan on bad mouthing anybody and i hope it never comes to that but just in case.....

David
Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Ryan Christoff

You should probably look in the mirror about "typical internet talk." I really don't care what anyone else did or didn't do to Bruce and his threats. You don't know me, so I guess I can see why you'd interpret what I said as "tough guy talk." I don't claim to some bad ass. But some people are bad choices to mess with. Especially when you threaten their family members. I should probably leave it at that.

I am not a different person in real life than I am on the internet. Bruce was. Are you?

-Ryan
Old 01-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Barry Sloate

I've probably defended Bruce more than anyone else on this board, and for the record he could be just as nasty to me as everyone else. He acted in ways so antisocial that it was hard for me to understand. For example, he once sent me an email wishing Judy and me a happy new year, then concluded it with one of his political screeds, followed by "God Bless the 1%." I tried explaining to him that that was not an appropriate way to send good wishes to someone, and asked him to keep politics out of his personal emails. Yet every time he sent me an email, he did it again. To repeat, his social skills were abysmal. He had some serious issues. And for those he sent death threats to, they had every right to blast him back as loud and as hard as they wanted. He deserved it.

But now it's time to move on. He saw the world as a giant battlefield and a war that he had to fight every day, in every way, but that war is over now.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

David fair question.

I think anytime you personally feel it’s right, just don’t be offended if others disagree with your timing. You guys can slam me all you want now or when I kick the bucket. I'd like you to do it now so I can enjoy some of the shots.

My point in saying why now is it seems silly he was sad little man who died in relative obscurity the exact opposite of his inflated internet persona. Slamming him and taking shots now while they may be deserved makes one look small sort of like Bruce. Now I know of Kenny and from what I have seen he’s far from a bad guy and is nothing like Bruce.

So why get down in the mud with the guy? Why even give the SOB the satisfaction of talking about him heck even in death the guy is ruffling feathers…something says that would have given Bruce satisfaction BTW.

That’s all I’m saying, but it’s the internet and a forum so let your thoughts rip your choice.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoizeBringer View Post
You should probably look in the mirror about "typical internet talk." I really don't care what anyone else did or didn't do to Bruce and his threats. You don't know me, so I guess I can see why you'd interpret what I said as "tough guy talk." I don't claim to some bad ass. But some people are bad choices to mess with. Especially when you threaten their family members. I should probably leave it at that.

I am not a different person in real life than I am on the internet. Bruce was. Are you?

-Ryan
Ryan, yes I find it hard to believe you’re going to go all Charles Bronson on anyone including Bruce for ruffling your feathers with a nasty email. If you are that person then you have bigger issues than a chat board or Bruce's of the world. I guess Bruce was lucky that he didn’t ever get on your bad side.

I’ll be sure to look over my shoulder today when I go to the store Ryan now that I have made the mistake of misjudging you.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 01-20-2014 at 12:43 PM.