NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Default Using Best Offer on Ebay & Making Offers

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I decided to try using the Best offer feature on Ebay fixed listing. One of the items I used it on was a T206 Matty WC that was lowgrade but presentable, the BIN was $99. The first offer I got was $27, gee thanks for the effort. The second $47, not quite half but close. The third $35, why waste our time, and the fourth I finally got a reasonable offer of $70. I was thinking that it was a nice feature but boy after offers like that I certainly don't plan on using it again.

Do these people with offers less than 40% really think they are making an offer? Occasionally I get off ebay offers for my cards that are also way out line, I personally find it insulting. That is one of the reasons I will probably not use that feature again.

I don't mind offers but be in the ballpark, if it's not within 80% of the starting bid, to me it's a waste of both oour times. I have made offers in the past but always keep them within reason of the staring bid.

Lee

Old 11-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

whenever i see "submit an offer" i know that im only allowed one offer so i will make it a desent one...but sometimes the starting bid is way over priced to begin with...if i want the card, i'll make a offer based on book value and demand for the card, sometimes its in that 75-80% range and never has it been the starting price...i think some people jack the price so it will get close to the actual price they really want
pete-

my best pitch was the one that made it to the plate!

Old 11-16-2005, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

funny, from the buyer's side, i always find it funny why the sellers can get insulted by an offer, no matter how low it is. all you have to say is "no thanks". It's not a personal insult....i'm not telling you that your card is worth less than 50% of what you think it's worth...it's just the price I want to pay for it. If you dont' think it's the same, just say no, and move on. I'm not criticizing your card or you as a person.

at other times, i've submitted offers less than 50% of the BIN, and had it ACCEPTED. go figure.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I make reasonable offers and just let it go from there. There will always be bottom dwellers who "throw it against the wall" to see what sticks. Although they are a waste of time, I can't take it personally.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 11-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I think if its something you dont have to have but would like then its a good option to use as a buyer.I bought a pair of 4th row tickets to a Nationals game this year using the best offer option and got them for almost half the asking price.As a seller you just have to hope someone wants it bad enough to make a good serious offer,might be better for high ticket items

Old 11-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

I tried this option and listed 6 cards with a buy it now of $1500.00, I got an offer for $2. They were all graded! Grading cost $48. Right, a waste of time.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike W

I agree completely! This is actually a pet peave of mine... I don't understand the whole "insulted by an offer you don't like" thing. If you don't like it say "no thanks" and move on with your life. I always felt if you want something, why not at least ask. The worst thing that SHOULD happen is they say "NO".

Old 11-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Let's get real here. A $25 offer for a card you know full well is worth 3-4 times that IS an insult. Basically, the person making the offer is hoping that you are an idiot and that you take his offer. That is why people fell insulted by rediculously low offers. Fortunately, Mr Mint made his low ball offer to me to my face and I got to lay into him real good The guy obviously never remembered me, becuase he made more silly low ball offers for my Mantles and other cards and finally told him "I am not your wholesaler. No go away and never come back to my table agian." Never did see him at my table again

Jay

If you can sue a band for making you want to commit suicide, can I sue Barry Manilow for turning me into a wuss in the 70s?

Old 11-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

The Matty was sold to the fellow that made the reasonable offer.

If you do not find the fact that someone is trying to rip you off insulting that is fine, I personally don't think much of it, never have never will. I think alot of it has to do with respect and they are not showing much with offers of the such.

If I am interested in an item after it didn't sell I send the seller an email asking what the minimum they would take for the item. This puts the ball in the sellers court.

Lee