NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2021, 09:32 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default It's Time To Crack Out Your Graded Cards

According to the Hall of Fame, slabbed cards may not be such a great idea. Is it time to crack out all of our graded cards? I don't think so.

Check out link to article:

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/c...YVjReEa8L20SrY

================================================== ============================================

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 02-11-2021, 09:38 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Well, I have cracked every card I ever bought out so I have the HOF on my side now ha
Old 02-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Johnny MaZilli

The Hall of Fame is about history and preserving the game. Graded cards for me is all about the benjamins.

Stick with graded cards
Old 02-11-2021, 10:29 AM
Eric Cheng

Graded card case can sustain a dog bite and toddler abuse
Old 02-11-2021, 10:33 AM

Whenever anyone does anything, there is a reason and there is a REAL reason.
“There are other reasons why cards in slabs are removed,” explained Sue MacKay, director of Collections at the Hall of Fame Museum. “For instance, thicker slabs require more storage space, but the main reason we do it is we’re just not sure if the slabs might eventually damage the cards.”
The REAL reason they're doing this is storage space. Everything else is just made up so they sound like they know what they're doing.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:45 AM
John D.

I did like the idea about drilling a hole in a ball cube though. I'm not a big autograph person but have some key ones.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:54 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The most common cause of damage to cards is handling them. So if they're in a holder of any reasonable kind, it's best they stay there.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:21 AM
Tim Odeen

I thought the article was well written, and explains openly that purpose has a lot to do with conservation. To each their own. Further, there are a few collectors on this site that advocate for mylar sleeves. So IMO, this article is for non-NET54 collectors to receive similar information that we ourselves discuss in threads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 02-11-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:34 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
To each their own.
I do not have any slabs, but hey, I don't have a 1952 Topps Mantle or a T206 Wagner, either.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:29 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I do not have any slabs, but hey, I don't have a 1952 Topps Mantle or a T206 Wagner, either.
I personally dislike slabs - although my best cards are slabbed. To me, TPG seems like Communism: the idea sounds great if everyone honors the system; but when put into practice there are too many individuals with bad intentions for it to work. There needs to be more safeguards and oversight, which is currently lacking, in order to protect the consumer. Of course, no one wants oversight, but without it the scammers have no reason to quit.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-11-2021, 01:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Slabbed cards are like pretty flowers that smell bad.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-11-2021, 04:16 PM

From the article: "The good news is that while heat is damaging, cold conditions are not, so if in doubt store in a cool, dark place."

Okay - baseball cards, you're going in the refrigerator. I'll find some other place for the yogurt.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
According to the Hall of Fame, slabbed cards may not be such a great idea. Is it time to crack out all of our graded cards? I don't think so.

Check out link to article:

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/c...YVjReEa8L20SrY

================================================== ============================================
Hmmm cut out the middleman in peer to peer transactions...twist my arm why don't ya!!
Old 02-11-2021, 09:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1964 View Post
I did like the idea about drilling a hole in a ball cube though. I'm not a big autograph person but have some key ones.
Just do the drilling without the ball being inside...
Old 02-11-2021, 09:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
From the article: "The good news is that while heat is damaging, cold conditions are not, so if in doubt store in a cool, dark place."

Okay - baseball cards, you're going in the refrigerator. I'll find some other place for the yogurt.
Do it during a stretch of low humidity to avoid condensation inside the slab
Old 02-11-2021, 09:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Whenever anyone does anything, there is a reason and there is a REAL reason.
“There are other reasons why cards in slabs are removed,” explained Sue MacKay, director of Collections at the Hall of Fame Museum. “For instance, thicker slabs require more storage space, but the main reason we do it is we’re just not sure if the slabs might eventually damage the cards.”
The REAL reason they're doing this is storage space. Everything else is just made up so they sound like they know what they're doing.
Hmmm.....

Or I can believe the advice from oh.... like every conservator, archivist, curator....

Library of congress doesn't worry much about issues of storage space. But they do worry about acidity of paper items, so much so that they tried to develop a system to de-acidify books in massive quantities. It wasn't very successful.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:42 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Most of my collection is in 3 X 4 Top Loaders. Are they any safer than the slabs?
Old 02-12-2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1964 View Post
In case anyone is thinking of doing this, a trick I learned about drilling into plastic with a regular spiral twist drill bit is to run your drill in reverse, as the heat from the friction of the drill bit will 'melt' the plastic, and will not grab (and potentially crack) the plastic, as it might do if running the drill in the forward setting.

Brian (your friendly Net54 non-cracking plastic drilling expert). Bonus fun info: if drilling rubber freeze the item, as it will also make grabbing less likely. I don't think reversing drill bit direction is necessary.

Last edited by brianp-beme; 02-12-2021 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Added fascinating rubber drilling advice
Old 02-12-2021, 06:37 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I personally dislike slabs - although my best cards are slabbed. To me, TPG seems like Communism: the idea sounds great if everyone honors the system; but when put into practice there are too many individuals with bad intentions for it to work. There needs to be more safeguards and oversight, which is currently lacking, in order to protect the consumer. Of course, no one wants oversight, but without it the scammers have no reason to quit.
Wow. You really think Communism could work if people just honored the system? The "system" denies individual liberty - it's not people's bad intentions that cause it to fail. It's people's desire for freedom that causes it to fail.

As for the topic: I hate slabs as well, but they're a necessary evil.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:45 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Wow. You really think Communism could work if people just honored the system? The "system" denies individual liberty - it's not people's bad intentions that cause it to fail. It's people's desire for freedom that causes it to fail.

As for the topic: I hate slabs as well, but they're a necessary evil.
No, I don't think Communism would ever work. But it's the idea of a utopia which is supposed to be a good thing. But like all other utopias, they fail because someone's pleasure is another's pain. The symbolism vs. reality holds true for TPG. They are supposed to be the utopian place where problems in condition are sorted out by knowledgeable independent graders....but in reality they have become more of a dystopia since A) they aren't as knowledgeable as we hoped and B) they are no longer independent and C) they aren't sorting out the problems the promised to resolve. And like most fictional dystopian scripts, we have found it very very hard to exit this story due to perceptions of its necessity.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:34 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Most of my collection is in 3 X 4 Top Loaders. Are they any safer than the slabs?
It also says in the article that: "Another chemically inert product is polypropylene, which is slightly less clear than polyester like Mylar, but is also considered acceptable for long-term preservation."

Binder pages and penny sleeves are made out of polypropylene. So, if you want to keep using the top loaders, you could put the cards, as many do, in the penny sleeves before you put them in the top loaders.

I also just put them in the top loaders also. I'm not going to worry about it. I like the immediacy so to speak, of just putting the card in the top loader and going through and looking at the cards that way. It's the closest to how we handled them as kids. But that said, I do also have a lot of cards in binders!

Last edited by jgannon; 02-13-2021 at 08:35 AM.