NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 03-30-2015, 09:09 AM
John

Thanks! I actually emailed PSA about a week ago regarding grading these - I'll update the thread if I get a reply back. Is Jim Musick holding two footballs, one in each hand or am I just seeing double again?

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 03-30-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:51 AM

I too collect matchcovers. However, I don't have any from the first silver set, so I'll be watching this thread with interest. I do have over 125 from other sets though.
My website for 1963 Topps football color variations -
Old 03-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Jeff P

This is a great thread but we need more pictures from those who have these! I have only a few so haven't started to tackle this one yet.

Here is one of the big dogs that I do have.

jeff
Old 03-31-2015, 02:12 PM
John

Awesome! The Hubbard is the rarest, right? Jeff are either of those recent wins? I think I remember seeing a Hubbard matchbook in an SGC holder in one of the recent spring auctions.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:07 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Awesome! The Hubbard is the rarest, right? Jeff are either of those recent wins? I think I remember seeing a Hubbard matchbook in an SGC holder in one of the recent spring auctions.
I know its ONE of the more difficult ones to find but not sure about the rarest. I'd have to pull John Spano's excellent article on Diamond Matchbooks from Gridiron Greats to check. I know SGC gives it along with the Nagurski the most weight in their equation but I don't put much credence into what the grading companies think. They often don't know the sets as well as hard core collectors and their weightings are often just plain wrong.

You have a good memory, John! I picked up both of these in a BST auction lot recently.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 03-31-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I'd have to pull John Spano's excellent article on Diamond Matchbooks from Gridiron Greats
I think John's article (referenced by Jeff above) says $1000 for a Nagurski, but he also mentions they don't come up often. Looking for a link to the article.....

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 06-19-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:37 PM

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:20 PM

@DezHood. It's funny that you asked, I too have often wondered whether Jim Musick was holding the ball sideways or if he was, as you are seeing, in fact, holding two footballs.

I wasn't sure, but was leaning towards the two footballs.

Quote:
Thanks! I actually emailed PSA about a week ago regarding grading these - I'll update the thread if I get a reply back. Is Jim Musick holding two footballs, one in each hand or am I just seeing double again?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:03 PM
John

OK, I see it now, with my glasses on, I think Musick is holding the football sideways - two footballs would've been cool though.

I got a response from PSA regarding the grading:

We do actually grade some of the 1933-1938 Diamond Matchbooks Football Cards. Below I’ve included the items we’ve already graded, however, if you do not see your items listed please respond with front and back images of the items in question along with as much information as you can provide. Once I hear back from you I will contact our research department and should have a response within 7-10 Business Days.

Then I got an image which listed 12 subjects:

33 Nagurski
35 Badgro
35 Musso
36 Nagurski
36 Stydahar
37 Manders
37 Corbett
37 Bausch
37 Fortmann
37 Feathers
38 Maniaci
38 Famiglietti

So I guess they recognize these, but all others need to be proven to exist? A bit of a head scratcher. I've never see one in a PSA holder, so it is interesting to know these 12 are out there.

Given the response though, I may just reply back "thanks", let me know if you have any better follow up.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 PM
John

Also, Carl or Jeff or others, what would a "mint" matchbook look like? Would it be one that was folded with the matches in it just like they come out of the cigarette machines today?

When Carl says: "Most important thing is striker intact not "bob tailed " and unstuck." - I'm not familiar with the terminology.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:16 PM

here's an example of what "bob tail" means

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Diamond...item20f8a14d4a

notice how the Paul Collins on the right is missing the striker portion at the top whereas the Orien Crow on the left still has the striker portion intact. The Paul Collins one is considered a bobtail.

and I think "unstuck" was a typo. I think Carl meant "unstruck" as in that the striker portion of the matchbook has not been used to actually light a match, so that the striker portion remains pristine.

Quote:
Also, Carl or Jeff or others, what would a "mint" matchbook look like? Would it be one that was folded with the matches in it just like they come out of the cigarette machines today?

When Carl says: "Most important thing is striker intact not "bob tailed " and unstuck." - I'm not familiar with the terminology.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 AM
John

Thanks Obiwin - great explanation of what a bobtail is. And unstruck makes sense too, the striker would look like a clean slate if it had never been used. What about the matches and the folds? As a collector, flattened out without matches (safety issue if you have a lot of them?) would seem like the optimal state for storage, but technically one that was in its original state would have the matches.... What's the thought on that?
Old 04-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A Nagurski:

Here are a few Redskins matchcovers:

A later cover for a hair product that I picked up for the HOF boxer:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-02-2015, 09:21 AM

I personally prefer them flattened out without the matches. I feel this is the state that is most presentable and easiest to store.

I store them either in 6 pocket pages or 3x5 toploaders.

Whole books in their original folded state with all matches and unstruck panel tend to sell for a premium. But I personally don't like to pay extra for an item that is harder to look at and enjoy.

Quote:
Thanks Obiwin - great explanation of what a bobtail is. And unstruck makes sense too, the striker would look like a clean slate if it had never been used. What about the matches and the folds? As a collector, flattened out without matches (safety issue if you have a lot of them?) would seem like the optimal state for storage, but technically one that was in its original state would have the matches.... What's the thought on that?