NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-31-2019, 09:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default 1920's metal board game

So I bought the game on the left years ago at an antique store. It's not functional, is missing all the pieces and has several dents in it, but I love the graphic and have had it displayed in my office ever since. The other day I was on eBay and stumbled upon (what I thought was) the same game, but in stunningly good condition, fully functional and included most of the pieces so I bit on the upgrade. I didn't realize until it arrived today that they are slightly different .....maybe different production runs of some sort. The left one has a "Hustler Toy Corp." logo at the top, while the one on the right says "Frantz...Made in the USA". The graphic at the very bottom is different, and the instructions on the back are printed right on the metal on the left one, but on the right they are printed on paper which is stuck to the metal somehow. Anyone familiar with this game and/or company enough to shed some light on the differences?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 - 1 (1).jpg (75.1 KB, 173 views)
Old 02-01-2019, 01:08 AM

Frantz Manufacturing (still in business today) produced / produces mainly garage doors and related hardware,
but in the early 1920s began turning out metal toys. In 1923 they got the rights to Play Ball ~ The Rainy Day
Great American Game
, originally made a few years earlier by Evan L Reed Mfg Co just up the road, and slightly
altered the graphics to turn out the game in your right-hand photo, The Great American Game ~ Baseball.
The Frantz line of toys and games was sufficiently successful that they created a subsidiary, Hustler Toys, devoted
entirely to toy production. The game in your left-hand pic is an example of that. Even subtler variations in
the game's graphics were made during its production run through most of the 1920s, mostly in a variety of
different colors for the border and the scroll cowling.
It's a great game, a classic in the tiny backwater hobby of game collecting, and the mechanism was later copied
by a few subsequent manufacturers, notably in Principal Baseball Game by Principal Die & Stamping (1949)
and Spin-A-Game Baseball by Hasbro (1960s). Schylling turned out a repro edition of the Frantz/Hustler
original in 2007.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl

Last edited by Butch7999; 02-01-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:39 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Great information as always Butch.

The Intercollegiate Football game with very similar design and construction was also produced during the era, but only under the Hustler Toy Corporation name I believe.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:13 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Thanks, Butch!!
Old 02-01-2019, 10:10 PM

Thanks, Conor and Brent, happy to help -- have to disagree on one point, though, as we have seen
at least one pre-Hustler example of Intercollegiate Foot Ball with the Frantz label.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl