NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Default Question from a newbie...

Posted By: Rob NYC

You guys have awesome collections! I hope someday I will have one just a fraction as awesome.

I'm just wondering how long it took you to acquire what you have now.

Thanx.
Rob

Old 12-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

ive been collecting since i was a teenager but have been collecting the pre-war stuff heavily now for about 5 yrs. or so. but i still want more, more , more!!!!

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 12-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K

Been collecting pre-war since 2001, but my interests change. I had 19 of the E95's before selling most off, then 26 of the 30 possible T206 HOF portraits, but then ended up selling most of them off to make way for the most dangerous kind of collections (those cards that just look to darned nice to NOT be in my collection).

I've had an absolute blast doing it!

Bill

I still haven't scanned all the cards in, there just isn't enough time in the day anymore....

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 12-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

20 years, after letting go of what I had as a kid.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a first step.

Gather cards a few at a time... Hardly anyone collects T206 by buying a set minus the big 4, then adding those final 4.

Good luck with it.

Frank.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I started collecting, again since childhood, in about 1997. I have been addicted since then. I am so glad I started a few years before the explosive growth. I look at my somewhat meager (compared to others I know of) collection and there is no way I could afford to buy a lot of the stuff today.. The more you study, and do something, the better you become.....best regards

Old 12-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i have been collecting T206 cards for 15 years. and recently have gotten into World Series Stubs also...(1919, 1927, Ruth Called Shot, etc...)

good luck, slow and steady wins the race...as someone else suggested, pick up a few here and there...and before you know, you have a great collection...even though i try to collect high grade cards, my passion is rare cards...my advise whever you can afford to pick up a scarce card, DO IT! get it your collection, then slowly add to it...

BEST of Luck!
Michael Sarno
NYC

Old 12-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Rob,

I've been collecting for around 15 years. However, my prewar stuff didn't take off until the last three. The most important advice I have for you is to find reliable dealers, people that will sell you good stuff at reasonable prices. Avoid dealers that are asking for an arm and a leg for average stuff. Avoid fly by night dealers. Look for people that have been in the business a long time and will continue to be in business years from now. Good luck on your collection.

Peter

Old 12-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

with my first pack of 1970 baseball cards. In 1971 I got a lot of cards, many of which I still have. By 1975 I was very heavily into it (well, as heavily as a kid can be). I acquired my first true vintage card (1952 Topps Walt Dropo) about then and still have it. My first T206 came in 1977: Walter Johnson ready to pitch, for twelve bucks (still have it). After a brief, unfortunate hiatus to pursue girls and cars from about 1981-1988 (I gave up the chase when it became apparent I wasn't going to bag a supermodel or an Aston-Martin ), I rejoined the hobby and haven't stopped.

Edited to say: I now have cards of the supermodel and Aston Martin.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I have been collecting vintage baseball and football for over 25 years. I started getting really heavy into the pre-war baseball in the early 90's. One card at a time mostly, its amazing how fast they start piling up and your wife continually asks what do you plan to do with all this junk. Best of luck and have fun!

Old 12-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: onlychild

I'm a newby as well..this is my first post! I've heard a lot about this place so I thought I would check it out.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator

I was thinking of adding E-cards to my collection. I thought I had a good shot at an E100 recently, but dang, I didn't know what I was up against.

The advice I was given in this thread so far was one card at a time, build it up slowly. So I really shouldn't feel bad if I get outbid on an item I want, eh? I've been at this prewar collecting for a few months and yet I feel overwhelmed by the types of items that do exist. I thought I would be satisfied with T206s alone. I have a T206 Cardinals team set and various others, but they are beginning to be a bit 'too common' much for my liking - if that makes any sense. I used to think the player had to be famous to be 'worth' something. But, it seems that the most important thing I learned here is that a card should appeal to me and that beat up cards have just as much character as the 'nice' ones.

However, I am still sticking with trying to get every different T206 back of Bill Bergen batting. I have 6 so far. I don't know what else there is left. Anybody know? Besides the Cardinals team set (near complete) and the Bill Bergen backs and E-types (90-107), I don't know where else to focus or if I'm trying to reach for too much.

I appreciate the reponses. I'd like to know if I have a good start on my collection, but I am kind of ashamed because it seems so common and average when compared to anyone's here from what I've seen in the Vintage links. Only so much I can do with a limited budget. If I do ever get the balls to show my collection, I would appreciate constructive criticism on how to improve it.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Lindholme

Rob, it's been said here many times, just look at some of the pre-war cards out there (some members here have awesome websites),check out Old Carboard for type set galleries...something will surely catch your eye.
Then, what I think is great...read some old baseball biographies. Check out books like "Glory of Their Times" by Lawrence Ritter. He interviews some old players and you'll find yourself seeking out cards of guys like Sam Crawford and Chief Meyers and Rube Marquard and others.
That gives you some connection to the players, knowing a little about them.

Personally, I have been collecting for 35 years, only slowed down a little in the early 80's to seek other vices. Prewar has been 20 years, my first one was a Frankie Frisch Diamond Star, I've been hooked on them ever since. I used to roll the dice with APBA baseball All-Time greats teams...when I saw an original card of the Fordham Flash (who always got a hit then stole second:)...I was doomed.

Good luck

Brian L
familytoad

Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Rob,

Ive been collecting vintage for about 2 1/2 years now. You'd be surpirsed at how fast your collection can grow in a short time. As for yours, it sounds like a very nice start - t206s may be more common than many vintage cards, but they are certainly rare by comparison to cards from the 50s-present and they are simply beautiful cards. You may also want to consider one of the smaller e sets (such as e93 or e95) and try building a set - both those sets are nice because they can be finished and have a nice concentration of HOFers. Finally, I wouldnt worry so much about what others have in comparison - I promise, there will always be someone out there (or many someones) whose collection can make yours pale by comparison. Im sure even those on the Board with truly unbelieveable collections (disclaimer - I do not include myself in that list, though Im happy with what Ive got) will tell you the same thing.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

if your anything like me your colleting interests will change and rotate over time. Im particularly interested in Ecards for the moment, but it maybe 19th century next year, im just more educated on Ecards and T206 so i feel more comfortable purchasing them for now, but im learning and expanding my knowledge with other issues and in time im sure some of them will be focused on too...

Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I've been collecting for about 30 years. I bought my first pre-war cards (a couple of T206s) about 25 years ago. Like others, I took a break and got back into it all pretty seriously about 13 years ago. If you compare your collection to those of others, be sure to compare it to those whose collections you would NOT chose over your own. Comparisons the other way only lead to frustration and longing.
JimB

Old 12-14-2006, 04:43 AM
Administrator

You guys are right - one at a time and it accumulates. I didn't realize that my collection was a bit bigger than it actually thought is was. What is your average time between cards acquired?

Old 12-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Rob,

The time interval between my purchases have grown longer and longer. As I focused on more high quality cards, the cards quickly grew more expensive. Also, the more cards you have and the more you know about the hobby, the more selective you will become in your purchases.

Right now, I'm buying about 1 prewar card a month and 2 cards in the 50'3-70's. There was a time when I was purchasing hundreds of cards and spending way less money.

You can probably save a lot of money by trying to clearly define your collecting interests.

Peter

Old 12-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

It all depends on when the cards come to market. If you want to collect rare and obscure stuff and you pass on a card, you may not see it again for years or even at all.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Most collect in different areas, such as T206s and boxing cards, Old Judges and Topps test issues, baseball photos and non-sport autographs. If you enjoy purhasing and receiving, it never hurts to suppliment a rare/expensive area with a cheaper/more plentiful area. In fact, if you also collect 1800s china, you may be the board expert when the mystery 1800s baseball bowl appears on eBay.