NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Default It's the year 2038, and the vintage cards of tomorrow are...

Posted By: E, Daniel

no longer limited to pre WW2 in the eyes of hobbyists, it's anything before the year 2000!

Oh my god, what a waste of cheese cake eating time!

Please ignore this post!!!!

Old 12-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

In the year 2038 the distribution of the pre WWII will have changed very little (a find here or there). There is always going to be a ton of crap from the 80 - 00 era. Who knows what holds for the 2010 - 2038 era.

Who knows, maybe people wont care so much about this stuff or maybe an asteroid is going to hit the earth in 2025 which would make this stuff pretty useless anyway.... (always the optimist)...

Old 12-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Fred, Would UV glass still be helpful?

Old 12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

How about this scenario, in the year 2007 Barry Bonds comes within one home run of tying Hank Aaron's all-time home run record. Then in the 110th game of season he's playing in Washington D.C. and the Feds come out of the stands and arrest him. Barry is jailed and tried and found guilty of illegal steriod use.

Barry is sent to jail for 10 years and never gets the opportunity to break the record. Baseball fans are repulsed by the actions of the Feds and the unfairness of their actions. The '87 Fleer Bonds becomes the hottest collectible in the land and kids and adults alike horde them. Laugh out loud...baseball is a crazy game...who knows.

Peter

Old 12-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

I know the whole shiny crap line, but tell me a Lebron rookie card doesn't have excellent potential, all 538 different issues...mumble mumble.

But seriously, isn't a 57' Clemente in really nice condition a smart card in every sense? A 51' Bow. Mays, 52 topps Mantle, 48/49 Paige, 58'Bell brand Koufax, 54' Bowman T.Williams, 63 Rose, 54 Aaron, 68 Ryan, 79'Ozzie Smith, 84/85 Clemens, 93 Jeter, I mean, not everything post the 2nd WW is crap is it?

And then there is football and basketball with some terrific hobby cards, a 92 Shaq, 86 Jordan, 89 Sanders, 84 Marino.....

There just have to be some terrific long term buys amongst them, if you can hold onto them the next 32 years!!!

Old 12-09-2006, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...an interesting future question might be:

It's the year 2038, and the third party grading company that is known and trusted by the most collectors is....

[I'm going to guess Beckett will win the grading card wars, but it will probably be a company and a method we haven't conceived of yet.]

Old 12-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

A new card shop opened in my town last weekend. I went inside, just to welcome the owner to the neighborhood and wish him luck.

I wound up talking to the guy for about half an hour. The oldest card he had in his shop was 1985. Inside his display case were all sorts of cut signature cards, jersey cards, etc.

I've never in my life spoken with anyone who was more enthusiastic about cards than this guy. He was talking about sets I've never heard of, and showing me cards (really nice-looking cards, actually) that he pulled out of packs, and talking about current players the same way we talk about guys like Ty Cobb and Christy Mathewson.

It was a huge breath of fresh air. Never once did I hear the words "wrinkles", "trimmed", "altered", "grading", or "auction." It was just a guy who loved cards, who loved the hobby, who couldn't wait until the weather warmed up so that neighborhood kids would start hanging around and trading cards in his store. Free packs for kids if they got straight A's on their report cards, free pack for kids on their birthday. Regular raffles for autographed memorabilia. It was great. I wound up buying a whole box of shiny cards, and feeling really good about it. And it was really fun to open the packs.

So yeah, I think in 30 years, after we've seen the careers of today's players develop (and we know which ones will turn out to be Mickey Mantle and which ones will turn out to be Tony Conigliaro), there will be cards that we consider shiny crap today, that will be considered important cards. This being a hobby, where people collect what they like, I consider the shiny stuff to be just as legitimate as anything else.

-Al

Old 12-09-2006, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I think by 2038 there will be a grading company so powerful in the market that they have their own actual army of graders that will break into your house in the middle of the night and grade all of your raw cards as you watch in horror while they write up a bill for grading fees!!! You'll cry as you read the bill stating $10 per card but be semi-relieved that they took money off for the front door they kicked in and the house plant they overturned to show theyre serious. That will teach you people out there saving those 88 donruss sets all those years hoping they would eventually be worth something,you just paid $6600 to get it graded! .....enjoy your CGA 9(card grading army) Roberto Kelly rookie

Old 12-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

I can see the day when a card is inserted into a computer scanner that is set on a 1000 point scale. All of the tolerances will be set for the issue and the card will be graded accurately, without human opinion or preference. Your only choice will be what color holder you want. There will be no more threads about what grading service is the best. No more auctions that state they undergraded my card ,I would crack and resubmit. I think that when this happens I should have the credit and be well compensated for my idea. As for what new card will be a hot card in 2038 it's the Reggie Bush #5 on the Jersey New Orleans team issue Topps. Best Regards, Chris

Old 12-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I have cartons and cartons and cartons of stuff from 1989.

1989 Fleer, Topps Vending, Topps Traded... and a bunch more from the years close to 1989.

When 2038 comes, I will be ready!

Old 12-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Im still waiting for someone to start burning piles of stuff from the late 80's in a huge bonfire.I think we should have one of these at a big show,where if you have stuff from the 1988-90 just bring a handful of cards to the show and throw them in the bonfire. You wont lose anything of value but if enough people participate then down the road around 2030 when middle aged men decide to buy cards from the year they were born youll be sitting on a gold mine!

About the closest to this ive seen happen is a friend of mine bought a box of cards from the early 90's and pulled the 3 best cards plus a couple players from his favorite team and tossed the rest of the cards.Why cant more people not named me do this

Old 12-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

...still T206 !

129 years old!

RayB

Old 12-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

there will always be a place for the newer stuff, I hope that continues to be true, and here's why:

Coming out of the White Plains show this past fall, my 4 year old son and I were greeted by another guy who was leaving the building. He came up and asked me if my son would like some more cards. Turns out this guy had to buy the 1988 Donruss factory set because it was the only way to get some variation card of a player he collects...so he gave my boy the entire 1988 Donruss set, less those 2 cards. Now, you and I know that that is worth about as much as the paper I'm writing this post on, but to a 4 year old, that was a HUGE box of cards, and he loved it!!

At that show I bought him a box of 2006 Topps, which we went home and opened together - he is hooked! Of course, there must be something about that 1988 Donruss set, because while he loves having it on his closet shelf, he still hasn't gone back to look at those.

Anyway, my point is the new stuff serves an important purpose: raising the interest level in baseball, and raising the generation of collectors that we need to buy our stuff later!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Jason,

Now therein lies the problem. The younger generation have way too many distractions, they will never be as interested in cards the way we were when we were young. I remember trying to complete a topps series when I was a kid. I would walk around the neighborhood the entire morning collecting coke bottles so I could get back the deposits. Once I gathered enough money, I would buy a box of Topps baseball cards. Back then the cards were just a nickel a pack. Can't see kids now days doing that.

Peter

Old 12-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: t206King

Barry Bonds' rookie card!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Guys,

In the year 2038 we'll be speaking to our grandchildren about how baseball cards didn't always come in PSA holders from E-Bay. There was a time when cards came in packs manufactured by companies called Topps and Upperdeck. Even further back, baseball cards came with cigarettes. Back in those days people actually smoked tobacco. Laugh out loud.

Peter

Old 12-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I need to hold out hope that will be another generation of folks who are interested in the history, rather than just the value of the items...although, it's probably unrealistic...

I'll tell you though, how refreshing it was to open those packs with my son, and listen to what it was about the cards that he got excited to see: team photos, what team was the player on, was he a pitcher or a hitter, or a fielder...but one thing seems to be instinctual to us as humans, because the behavior is observable from a very early age, and not taught: he hated the checklists!!!

edited to add: T206King, I feel ashamed to say that that one made me laugh!

Old 12-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Honestly that one is repulsive. I don't get repulsed much either....

Old 12-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Agreed with Leon.

-Al

Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

Agreed Al and Leon. That picture reminds me how unimportant baseball cards really are.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I think that in 2038 the collectible cards from present era may, unfortunately, turn out to be the chase cards or "Sets within the set" (minis, autos, etc).

Ever since the mid-70's or so, rarity of sets or cards has been almost nil. People started realizing that the older cards were valuable, and stopped throwing out their kids's collections. I can't even guess at how many full sets from the 80's and 90's are still around, and will always be around because their owners would rather keep them and hope they attain value someday.

But the chase cards and with-in set sets are rarer even today, and once the nostalgia for this era sets in someday, these will be the pursued collectibles.

So what would a type card collector be? Someone that wants every game-used jersey card issued by any company in 1998? Or someone going for every game-used anything card of Albert Pujols throughout his career? Or every Derek Jeter autograph card? Or would those be set collectors?

Granted, there are some that collect these things and these ways now, but maybe not with the vigor and enthusiasm with which we pursue our cards or maybe without the competition. Once they are older and people get nostalgic, I think it will pick up and the relative rarity will help drive the process.

J

Old 12-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig H

Wow, my 1938 Goudey set will be 100 years old!!

Craig

Old 12-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

90's was probably the best decade ever for baseball players and the stats they put up. Many of these players will be in the HOF in 2038. Their rarest cards will have to be the Minor league issues that were limited editions and most of them have serial numbers on them. I get a kick out of reading Beckett when they interview a collector and ask them to list all their Ripken cards.. You see a list of 500 different cards and the ones they DON'T have is the Minor league issues (WTF,Charlotte,TCMA).

Same thing with Jeter (Little Sun) and A-rod (4-sport) Vladimir (West Palm Beach)... Ahh nevermind I could go on and on but I'm sure it's falling on def ears on this board..

JC

Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Administrator

I thought the pic was kind of humourous myself

Old 12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

A suffering starving child - hilarious!

Old 12-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: t206king

Not the child, the meaning of the picture.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Administrator

T-206,

What is the meaning of the picture. To me it looked like it was poking fun at Barry Bonds and steroids. Only thing missing is the Pirates cap. The Pirates cap looks like part of a prison outfit and would have fitted well with the emaciated child.

Although we give Barry a bad time now, in the year 2038 it is likely that most his conduct will be forgiven and he will be hailed the home run king.

Peter

Old 12-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

There are times when I think the name "54" stands for the IQ of some of the posters. Wait, that would be much too generous in this case.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

agreed..

Old 12-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Peter,
that comment wasnt nessassary.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Hey guys in 2038 I'll be a T-Rex fossil.....but, all my "un-graded" colorful little cardboard reflections
of sports figures from the past will be in the safe hands of my Grandson.

T-Rex TED

Old 12-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Neither was posting that picture. I can't decide what's more disgusting: posting it, not realizing how offensive it is, or leaving it up for two days.

-Al

Old 12-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Good lord Ill be 55 yrs old, and have snatched up many of your guys cards over the years auctioned off by your kids

Old 12-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

as distinct from the thoughtful and insightful T206 Collector....

I agree, my remark wasn't necessary because it was self-evident to any halfway intelligent, normal person. Edited to add: necessary is not spelled "nessassary" by the way.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Thank you for the grammer check. i feel like i;m in grade 6 english class. But thank you.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

How would you know about being in a 6th grade English class? Did you really make it that far in school?

Old 12-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Yeah i passed grade 6. in college now. no need for that comment either.