NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default Another Ruth Exhibit question

Posted By: leon

I didn't want to hijack the other thread but I would still like to know where this one came from. I got it from Lew L. on ebay a few years ago. I believe there was a very small write up about it in one of the old "The Old Judge" newsletters.....It has the Underwood & Underwood logo at bottom too...

Old 12-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Much larger, but exact same shot as the 1924/1926 W-unc duo-tone. Never seen your example. Very nice.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

???Might be part of a nonsport postcard set like the W511's pictured above???

Yours is the only one Ive seen, and everytime I look at your site it makes me wonder. The closest thing is a R315, but they are not the same.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Here's a wild guess, but maybe it has something to do with Schapira Bros. The only card I know of with Underwood & Underwood on it (not the logo) is the 1926 Schapira Bros Big Show Candy. While your card is clearly not that issue, maybe its an uncataloged Schapira. They were both from the big apple. Just a guess.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Leon, is there dot matrix pattern on the card?

Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Administrator

No, there is no dot matrix pattern. I think Lew would have caught that.....The little W-unc Ruth cards have the same photo so that's interesting. Also, I think there are other cards with the Underwood and Underwoood logo not spelled out but can't think of them right now. I always thought it looked like an R315....but not quite...

Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The caption within the photo of your Ruth is exactly the same as the captions found within some the original photos used to print the W511 cards.

See cards # 32,64,65,72,74,75,etc. Some even have the "U&U" copyright.
http://www.moviecard.com/zamerican/stripcards/w511.html

Its highly unlikely there will be another baseball player beside the Ruth with the same style of caption, since all the other cards/photos known with that style caption are nonsport/movie/western people.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bill

on the back page issue 34 of the old judge
december 1990 it has a little blurb

bill

Old 12-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

U & U (Underwood & Underwood) did issue some postcards in the 1920s. I know of 2 boxers (Willard and Dempsey). Doesn't stretch the imagination to think that they issued their own Ruth PC too.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback...gives me/us more to ponder. Maybe a one-off from Underwood & Underwood....

To quote that short blurb from The Old Judge, #34, Dec 1990:

"In TOJ #14 we illustrated a Babe Ruth card which was part of a strip containing, with the exception of Ruth, non-sports cards. That set was numbered starting with the Ruth as #1 and preceding up to 10. Subscriber Barry Gordon sent us a copy of the same card with #52 in the lower margin and collector Tom Mays sent us a copy of the same photograph in Exhibit card size. All three cards carry the familiar copyright of Underwood & Underwood."

then there is a picture of this card...regards