NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2017, 10:05 AM
octavio ranzola

Default Stanton to the yankees

Your thoughts,
Old 12-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Jason Wells

Wow the rich keep getting richer That is quite the formidable lineup they now possess. Ill have to check and see what they gave up in return.

Edit to add it looks like they got him for next to nothing other than taking on the full salary.

Last edited by Jason; 12-09-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:17 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I'm a Yankee fan and I don't like it. This is like the A-Rod deal which was a real albatross. There was enough pop on the team already. We need to improve our starting pitching and get Betansis back to the way he was, or get a new set up guy. We are fine on outfielders. We have Gardner, Hicks and Judge. All of those guys are solid fielders. What we need are a new third baseman, now a new second baseman, and an upgrade for Bird at first. Sanchez is the best hitting "catcher" in baseball. He just needs to learn to catch.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Larry More.y

Getting Stanton would be great, but I would like to know just who is being traded away for Stanton. If it is Elsbury and/or Headley going in the trade (which Elsbury likely wont go due to his salary), getting Stanton would be great. Giving up Gardner would be tough, but giving up Castro would be the toughest if it is confirmed he is part of the deal. Makes sense it could be Castro because the Marlins traded Gordon to the Mariners.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 12-09-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:21 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I'm a Yankee fan and I don't like it. This is like the A-Rod deal which was a real albatross. There was enough pop on the team already. We need to improve our starting pitching and get Betansis back to the way he was, or get a new set up guy. We are fine on outfielders. We have Gardner, Hicks and Judge. All of those guys are solid fielders. What we need are a new third baseman, now a new second baseman, and an upgrade for Bird at first. Sanchez is the best hitting "catcher" in baseball. He just needs to learn to catch.
Agreed...how many times have we seen the Yanks do this and it not work out....many more than actually do. I look forward to watching it fall apart.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:48 AM
pete ullman

Did this happen??? If so I am not a fan! While I like Stanton I thought the Yankees were done with these ridiculous bloated long-term contracts not one has proven to be smart in the past.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:55 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

hes going to the dodgers with another guy Andrew toles will go to marlins as well as one of their stud pitchers, like Urias. and maeda, cingrani. joc peterson...i dont care if they say yankees have a deal 3 hours ago...at least i can only hope

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-09-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Al Wright

I've hated their guts since I was a 9 year old suburban NYC kid rooting for any National League team that played them in their annual trip to the World Series. During the season I adored guys like Frank Lary and Camilo Pascual who could get the best of them.

It's torture to live in the NYC area and have to put up with the seeming constant coverage they get on the media, especially the radio (WFAN). I pay Sirius just to have an out when it gets too heavy.

This deal? That lineup needs Stanton like Carter needs liver pills. But what do I know? Zilch I guess. That said, their team and system look super loaded and I'm prepared for some suffering. Of course nothing is better than watching a hated rivel get close and miss while reaching for the brass ring. I can hope.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
I've hated their guts since I was a 9 year old suburban NYC kid rooting for any National League team that played them in their annual trip to the World Series. During the season I adored guys like Frank Lary and Camilo Pascual who could get the best of them.

It's torture to live in the NYC area and have to put up with the seeming constant coverage they get on the media, especially the radio (WFAN). I pay Sirius just to have an out when it gets too heavy.

This deal? That lineup needs Stanton like Carter needs liver pills. But what do I know? Zilch I guess. That said, their team and system look super loaded and I'm prepared for some suffering. Of course nothing is better than watching a hated rivel get close and miss while reaching for the brass ring. I can hope.
I believe Carter died of liver disease.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:24 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I believe Carter died of liver disease.
Then he definitely doesn't need the pills, does he?
Old 12-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

As a Yankee fan of past, I stopped watching them after they got AROD. I hated Giambi but AROD was the icing on the cake.

Not only did they overpay for AROD, they also gave up ALFONSO SORIANO!!!

I honestly think the Yankees would have won more than 1 WS if they kept Soriano in that time frame.

Anyways,

I will say the following....

This does not hurt them and here is why:

The get rid of Castro, but Castro is no Soriano.

They got Castro for dirt cheap anyways.

To turn him into Stanton is ridiculous (Thank you Jeter).

Also,

By not signing Stanton, you are banking on HARPER or MACHADO in 2018.

Stanton may wind up being more effective than both those players over the next 8 years.

Why?

Harper is injury prone. He plays the game hard, but reminds me of a young Griffey. Eventually those injuries caught up to him and cost him seasons. The talent is greater than Stanton, however risk is way greater of injury.

Stanton has been injured, but they are always freak injuries.

Machado is what he is. A good player no doubt, but not the best.

Throwing Stanton in left gives the Yankees 2 absolute CANNONS in the corner OF spots.

The only negative of this deal is, when they are cold, this lineup is going to strike out 15 times a game.

The plus side though is they will hit streaks of 50 runs in 4 games at least once next season haha.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Brock

Quote:
The a-rod trade was great. The problem was that they resigned him after he opted out
Old 12-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Mike

League should check this out ( Jeter and New York connection ). Does Jeter work for New York or Miami ? Will the league allow this trade ? I hope Miami doesn't become the Kansas City of the past and send all their good players to New York.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

As a Marlins fan, I can tell you I've never cared for him as a player. He's a one-trick pony. With all his power, he's only had over 100 RBI in two years of his 8 in the league. He has a career 268 batting average. 1140 strikeouts in 3,577 at bats. He has no speed, and isn't exactly a gold-glover. This year he was a monster, but:
Career hits: 960
Strikeouts: 1,140
Homeruns are great, but the RBI totals are underwhelming:
132 finally this year
Marlins fans have lost so many great players. The Miggy trade is among the wort in sports history. And if Stanton continues the way he did this year, then it will be a huge loss, but my memory isn't very short. I don't think Stanton is worth the money when you consider his career numbers. He's fun to watch hit bombs on Sportscenter guys, but I watch 100 of his games a year. Sorry, but he's just not miguel Cabrera.

Last edited by orly57; 12-09-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
League should check this out ( Jeter and New York connection ). Does Jeter work for New York or Miami ? Will the league allow this trade ? I hope Miami doesn't become the Kansas City of the past and send all their good players to New York.
Jeter tried to trade Stanton to both the Giants and Cardinals but stanton used his no trade clause and said no to them and would only allow a trade to 4 teams. So what is jeter supposed to do when his player handcuffs him on moves and the team is trying to cut on payroll to fix debt the team has.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:19 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

My thoughts....."B O O M"
Old 12-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Stanton

A great move for them. They are trying to keep up with the Red Sox... which won’t happen.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Tony

I say there will be at least a 10% Yankee premium on Stanton rookie cards that will be flooding the market very soon.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Dave

I don't like losing Castro and was hoping they could shed the Ellsbury/Headley contracts instead.............but realize the Marlins aren't THAT dumb.

On the other hand, Castro was also starting to concern me also. Reminds me a bit of Carlos Baerga. A middle infielder starting to become a little pudgy, starting to become a little complacent, starting to become a little injury prone heading into his late 20's.

I'm not sure Gleyber Torres is going to be ready yet, but might as well stick him in there and find out.

I'd like to see Todd Frazier come back if they could get him cheap, if only for his defense and bench presence, but they'd likely have to move Chase Headley. I wouldn't mind them both as a platoon at 3rd and filling in at 1st if Bird gets hurt again, but that would be an expensive platoon.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:55 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

As a Yankee fan, I have some mixed thoughts but overall I think it's great move. I like Starlin but long term he probably doesn't fit into plans with gleyber Torres coming up for 2b. Plus tbey have Miguel andujar who can maybe slide in at 3b.

Who knows what happens with Harper or Machado. It's always possible either of them could resign a big team extension and not hit open market. Plus you hear Harper may command 400 plus million.

Yankees gave up no other significant prospects and get reigning nl. Mvp and hr champ in his prime entering age 28 season. He's different from other 10 year mega contract guys who signed when at least 30 years old in that regard. Plus he may opt out in 3 years anyway which means Yankees may not have him long term for back end of contract. Or they can decide what to do then as far as resigning.

Yankees went from not expecting to make playoffs this year to a legitimate long term contender with emergence of judge and Sanchez. Now sprinkle in another hr champ and in one move we now have a modern day murderers row and a very young talented core group who can conceivabley keep them near top of league for next decade. Stanton is oldest at age 28 in 2018!

All this coupled with the fact that u think Marlins are eating approx 30 mil of contract, with today's market for premium players I think it's a great move.

If he stays for 10 years the back end will certainly be iffy but hopefully they will have multiple more championships by then to justify it all.

This lineup is scary!

Just need a to stay healthy...

Wonder if ohtani is second guessing angels decision?

Merry Christmas Aaron Boone!

Last edited by yanksfan09; 12-09-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Doesn't scare me.. We all know the Yanks need starting pitching..
Old 12-09-2017, 01:16 PM
M!ke S@il£r

As a Braves fan, I wish Atlanta would have traded a bunch of prospects for Stanton before MLB stripped the team of all their best prospects. I think the Bronx Bombers are back.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:43 PM

Trading Castro (if he's the player) is a good move. They don't need him with Gleyber coming up. There's no way they're acquiring the whole salary for Stanton either so I don't think it compares to A-rod. Stanton isn't cheating and he's in his prime. I'd rather pay the money for a slugger who has some shelf life than a delicate starter. Chance Adams is ready for a trial and Sheffield, Tate, and Acevedo are all nearing their debuts.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:40 PM
T0m P00n

Good to see The Captain still working hard to bring the Yankees another championship
Old 12-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

I am looking forward to Harper in Boston.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Pete Sycks

The Yanks signing players after career years has usually panned out:

Ellsbury
Pavano
Burnett
Giambi
Big Unit
Contreras
Igawa

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's

Last edited by sycks22; 12-09-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
The Yanks signing players after career years has usually panned out:

Ellsbury
Pavano
Burnett
Giambi
Big Unit
Giancarlo is a trade, they didn't sign him.

Same thing can be said for the Big unit, they again traded for him. Also Randy only played 2 years for the yankees and the first one he went 17-8, so id consider that a good year.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:44 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
As a KC native, I had the same thought.

The Yanks need to work on their SP rotation, among other things already mentioned, 3b, 1B, 2B........
Old 12-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
As a KC native, I had the same thought.

The Yanks need to work on their SP rotation, among other things already mentioned, 3b, 1B, 2B........
Sorry this thread is just too funny. People commenting about the Yankees and then not knowing much about the Yankees.

They don’t really need rotation help, they need ONE pitcher. They currently have Tanaka, Gray, Severino, Montgomery and then a bunch of pitchers in the minors who will be ready this year.

They don’t need a 1B because they have Greg Bird. They don’t need a 3rd because they have Chase Headley for 2018. And they have the number one prospect in all of baseball(Gleyber Torres) to play 2nd this year.

Also the Yankees are now stacked in the outfield. So they can now package Clint Frazier with another player for a SP.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Stanton won't win or lose them a championship. Neither will Castro.

Fact of the matter is Cashman who has been brutal and should have been fired by now made some nice deals to load up the farm over the past 600 days. Now they can take on a Stanton while still having 3-4 years of minimum salary big prospects to try to win a ship.

They need pitching yes, however they can pick up a rental before the deadline for cheap, and already have Tanaka Severino and Gray which isn't horrible.

PLUS... you never know if a rookie is gonna come out of nowhere and carry them down the stretch.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:14 PM
T0m P00n

As a Yankee fan, let me be the first to say that I am shocked and dismayed at the Yankees organization spending money to bring in big time talent. This is totally unlike the Yankees I grew up loving and rooting for.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Sorry this thread is just too funny. People commenting about the Yankees and then not knowing much about the Yankees.

They don’t really need rotation help, they need ONE pitcher. They currently have Tanaka, Gray, Severino, Montgomery and then a bunch of pitchers in the minors who will be ready this year.

They don’t need a 1B because they have Greg Bird. They don’t need a 3rd because they have Chase Headley for 2018. And they have the number one prospect in all of baseball(Gleyber Torres) to play 2nd this year.

Also the Yankees are now stacked in the outfield. So they can now package Clint Frazier with another player for a SP.
Severino and Tanaka(at least at home) are great. I think Gray is a bottom of the rotation guy. I'd rather have Sabathia pitching than Gray. Bird is a substandard first baseman at best, and that is only if he can stay healthy. Headley is a weak hitter, with no power or speed, who struggles throwing from third base. This team needs a lot, none of which Stanton provides.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I was surprised the Dodgers and Angels showed no interest. The Dodgers can definitely afford him and the Angels could definitely use him.

I would have rather him sign with anyone else but the Yankees or the Red Sox. I am sick and tired of every one of their games against each other taking up national broadcast slots. How 'bout the Padres vs. the Rays?

I'll bet that either Stanton or Judge has had his ONLY 50-homer season!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-09-2017, 05:28 PM

MLB has been terrible for a long time. Glad I've left pro sports and have translated interest to college and high school athletics.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:29 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
MLB has been terrible for a long time. Glad I've left pro sports and have translated interest to college and high school athletics.
so not true!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Matt

As a Yankee fan I love this trade. Simply put, they added an MVP— and remain well-positioned in terms of both the farm system and the luxury tax cap.

The final years of most star contracts are not fruitful for the team, yet the 2018 to roughly 2024 Yankees just improved and I believe a team should strike while the iron is heating up, so to speak— this was a team that fell just short of a division and one game from the WS, so adding an MVP at this cost can only help.

They are an A+ arm, a third basemen (Machado), and a solid Gleyber Torres at second from being very, very solid, on paper. As to Greg Bird, he may very well be the best hitter on the team when the dust settles one year from now. His injury last year was an anomaly and will not recur. He showed flashes of the brilliance we saw all 2017 spring training, after his return. He had a mettle-testing Yankee moment with his clutch HR in the playoffs as well. I look forward to seeing one season-long body of work from that young man.

Of course, the games must be played, which is where the fun is. Will be exciting and entertaining to watch this team for the next several years, as it was last year.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-09-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:08 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
so not true!
+1.

the talent level all around the game is extremely high. So many young talented players, many only in mid 20's or younger.

Generational guys like Trout and Kershaw.

5'6" hit machines like Altuve, monstrous hitters in Judge, Stanton etc...

Top talent from all over the Globe... Japanese Babe Ruth had his press conferene today. The game today is top notch and getting better each year as I see it!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:

Bird can't stay healthy and Headly is HARDLY your answer for 3b. Know your team Brock. And you do need rotation help.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:36 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Best team money can buy....
Old 12-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

As a longtime Yankee fan it makes it more exciting to watch with both Judge and Stanton in the lineup. No more intentional walks with those two 3 and 4 hitters; Maris' HR record will most likely be broken as a result.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
As to Greg Bird, he may very well be the best hitter on the team when the dust settles one year from now. His injury last year was an anomaly and will not recur.
How can you predict that he won't be injury prone or that the one he had last year won't reoccur?? You Yankee fans..
Old 12-09-2017, 06:38 PM

If I'm being completely honest, being a fan of a laughingstock organization (Baltimore) who is not committed to winning makes it extra awful. I'm just in a sour mood. Everyone else in the AL East shows its fans that they give a crap about winning except for the Orioles.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Brock

Quote:
Severino and Tanaka(at least at home) are great. I think Gray is a bottom of the rotation guy. I'd rather have Sabathia pitching than Gray. Bird is a substandard first baseman at best, and that is only if he can stay healthy. Headley is a weak hitter, with no power or speed, who struggles throwing from third base. This team needs a lot, none of which Stanton provides.
Do we forget this team was 1 win away from being in the world series..

Also Greg Bird is more then a substandard first baseman, when he is healthy he can be very good. The offseason has just started and they can easily get another SP..

And like i already stated Headley is here for one more year and thats all. Plus the yankees have Miguel A who can play third this year also.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Bird can't stay healthy and Headly is HARDLY your answer for 3b. Know your team Brock. And you do need rotation help.
Again headley is here for ONE year and then gone. Plus they have Miguel Andujar that can also come up and play 3rd..
Old 12-09-2017, 06:51 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Haters gonna hate. Love Bird...he will be the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Haters gonna hate. Love Bird...he will be the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's no hating on Bird from me, he just can't stay healthy. That said, and keeping it real, Hosmer would be great in pinstripes and what a lineup that would be for NY. I don't know if NY will make a play for him since they added salary in Stanton. Boston will certainly be in play for him though. I will be shocked if Hosmer is in a KC uniform next season.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:05 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I hope the Yankees fall on their collective asses. The Payrolls in MLB are ridiculous and not fair.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:07 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Do we forget this team was 1 win away from being in the world series..

Also Greg Bird is more then a substandard first baseman, when he is healthy he can be very good. The offseason has just started and they can easily get another SP..

And like i already stated Headley is here for one more year and thats all. Plus the yankees have Miguel A who can play third this year also.
Come on Man, really??? Look at their freaking payroll....Any team could compile a team with that kind of money....Typical NY fan...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-09-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
How can you predict that he won't be injury prone or that the one he had last year won't reoccur?? You Yankee fans..
I actually know people within the organization and have discussed the injury with them, as it was a rather strange case. It was an injury not uncommon to dancers, involving a bone in the ankle. I will trust the information I was given, and its sources. Of course anything can happen in life. That said I feel safe saying that injury will not be an issue for him going forward— as the bone causing it was removed. I also never “predicted he would not be injury prone.” But by all means insult all Yankee fans when the option is there to engage in amiable discourse.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-09-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:59 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

How the Braves doing?