NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Default ebay: baarunner

Has anybody dealt with this guy?

He has a Brunners Mathewson up for auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6#ht_500wt_898

that is the same card as:

http://www.october09.hugginsandscott...l?itemid=13726

I asked him for additional pictures of the card, and received this lovely one word response:

No

All his selling feedback is private. He has a high-end Walter Johnson 1915 Cracker Jack and a few high end Goudeys for sale.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 05-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default feedback

Hi Shaun,
His feedback isn't private. It is showing up fine for me.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

All his selling feedback is private to me as well.

His buying feedback is what is showing up.
r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 05-21-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Well, he must have read my mind. After stating that I would like to bid, but needed some kind of assurance that he does, in fact, have the card in hand that he is selling, he responded with this:

Do not bid

Old 05-21-2012, 06:03 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Would avoid. Bidding on this item is just a case of "I know I shouldn't but I want to believe." Too much smells too bad.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
All his selling feedback is private to me as well.

His buying feedback is what is showing up.
r/
Frank
I see both his buyer and seller feedback. It's the listings that are private, not the feedback.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

I stand corrected. The information that would be useful is private.

r/
Frank
Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default seriously

Sorry guys....but anyone that gives a response like the ones the seller gave above, and bids anyway, gets what they deserve. I can't even fathom giving answers such as those. If you bid, win, get burnt and post back here....I will have to laugh.

I didn't even look at ebay before I posted my response. I have looked at it and can't imagine why he does all of the private stuff. Just not good in my book. Everything might be on the up and up but it's sort of like pleading the 5th when you are the one that brought the action. He is selling but doesn't want to help a potential buyer. I guess I just don't get it.

Last edited by Leon; 05-21-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Leon,

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
J@son M1ller

Beautiful card. Not so much on the seller. Wouldn't touch it based on that info.

There was a line in Mad Men last night where Don walks in and says, "we got tired of waiting for a cab so I'm here to buy a car." The salesman says "let me see if I can get out of your way".

This guy can't even get out of his own way to sell a nice looking card (if he even has it).
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Pete Sycks

Stay away
Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Manny
Banned

You guys totally blew it out of proportion. He has 391 positive feedback and 0 negative feedback.

If his next feedback is negative, that's 1/392 or a 0.002% chance of getting defrauded.

I'd play the odds on this one.

Last edited by SetBuilder; 05-21-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Jim M.arinari

But only 65 of those 391 are as a seller. And with the private listing you cannot tell what he sold, could have been phone cards for $1, not $400baseball cards. Besides, who wants to deal with an azzole?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Pup6913

I must have missed something here. OP wanted extra pics of a card that has good F/B pics already and OP also has located pics of the card from another auction. So the seller wants his feedback stuff set to private. I don't know how to do it or mine would be also for certain reasons. I guess I am not seeing what the issue is with the seller other than he don't want to be bothered with extra crap. I think we(I know I do) get a little over paranoid sometimes.

BTW read his feedback. A lot of signed balls got sold and he is selling more now. Maybe disposing of his collection. I know I want to bid since this whole board is gonna back off now. Might get a great deal or wait 2 wks for paypal to refund me lol.

Last edited by Pup6913; 05-21-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Presuming he is the owner of the card, and picked it up from the Spring Memory Lane auction here just a few weeks ago: http://www.memorylaneinc.com/site/bi...emid=23644#pic

where he spent $3.5k... and with the card sitting at $316 for 2 days... I don't know about you, but I want as many bidders as possible. In fact, an SGC 60 Brunners Mathewson went for $45k just four years ago.

He could be legit, but his most recent feedback is for buying a few cheap autographed balls (multiples of Mariano Rivera), and some running shoes and accessories.

I don't think it was out of the ordinary for me to ask for a picture of the card next to a piece of paper with his eBay name. Extra hassle... sure, but worth getting another bidder? absolutely. Especially when his scans are identical to the Memory Lane and Huggins and Scott auctions.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
You guys totally blew it out of proportion. He has 391 positive feedback and 0 negative feedback.

If his next feedback is negative, that's 1/392 or a 0.002% chance of getting defrauded.

I'd play the odds on this one.
He only has about 20 as a seller and most of the useful information about those is hidden. He has made every attempt to be secretive and combative. You go ahead and bid, then. There's not a card in the world I would bid on under these circumstances.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 AM
jim quinlisk

The Frisch card he's selling was sold last month at memory lane for $484

http://www.memorylaneinc.com/site/bi...p?itemid=23860

The Durocher card he's selling was sold last month for $825

http://www.memorylaneinc.com/site/bi...p?itemid=23859

The Walter Johnson CJ card was sold last month at memory lane also, for $4430

http://www.memorylaneinc.com/site/bi...p?itemid=23647

The Hornsby came from REA, again last month

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...x?itemid=22544

The 51 Dodgers ball, also from REA last month

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...x?itemid=22508

Yikes
Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq View Post

Yikes
Yeap, I think Andrew is right, nothing fishy here. Bid away everyone!!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:41 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq View Post

Yikes
I notice they are the exact same scans also.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
There ya go. Nuf said for me. Thats fishy as can be
Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 AM

Would contacting Robert Edwards auction and Memory Lane do any good in this instance? I mean, they would KNOW who bought the items a month ago and could contact them to see if they still own them (if they are not the Baarunner).

If they DO still own them then both the auction house and the owner could contact eBay and let them know what is going on.

David
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Presuming he is the owner of the card, and picked it up from the Spring Memory Lane auction here just a few weeks ago: http://www.memorylaneinc.com/site/bi...emid=23644#pic

where he spent $3.5k... and with the card sitting at $316 for 2 days... I don't know about you, but I want as many bidders as possible. In fact, an SGC 60 Brunners Mathewson went for $45k just four years ago.

He could be legit, but his most recent feedback is for buying a few cheap autographed balls (multiples of Mariano Rivera), and some running shoes and accessories.

I don't think it was out of the ordinary for me to ask for a picture of the card next to a piece of paper with his eBay name. Extra hassle... sure, but worth getting another bidder? absolutely. Especially when his scans are identical to the Memory Lane and Huggins and Scott auctions.
Excellent points. Not only are the scans the same, but he also uses the same description.

I actually had a decent snipe set on this card, but will now be deleting it. Good luck to those bidding -- I'm out. Thanks for the thread.

And what exactly was the deal with the Matty that sold for $45K. I saw that when researching how much to bid on the eBay Mathewson. Wow!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Manny
Banned

Get a grip folks.

They're identical scans because the card hasn't changed in appearance since the auction. Do these cards change shape? Color?

Perhaps he wanted to save time by not having to scan the card when he can easily use the best scan already available.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Get a grip folks.

They're identical scans because the card hasn't changed in appearance since the auction. Do these cards change shape? Color?

Perhaps he wanted to save time by not having to scan the card when he can easily use the best scan already available.
Yes, but when there isn't a reverse scan he would be wise to put one out there, but he doesn't and doesn't provide one when asked for one. So it is beyond just using the exact scan, he doesn't provide any other scans that he doesn't have access to online.

For instance the Durocher only has a front scan online. That is the only scan that is used. Why not add a reverse scan of the card?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Pup6913

Quote:
Get a grip folks.

Sounds like you may have an invested interest I was for the seller till the evidence came out about the auction scans. To much of this happens in the hobby so when flags start flying its best to step away. We make mistakes sometimes(I do) but its hard to over look these facts
Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Get a grip folks.

So you don't see any red flags? You wouldn't have any hesitation sending this seller $4K?

We've got:

1. private selling feedback

2. multiple cards for sale that were recently purchased at auction, all being sold right away, and all using the same scans as the online auctions. Not one card that wasn't recently auctioned off.

3. a horrible attitude and zero customer service. If you need to handle a return, how fun will it be to deal with this guy?

Granted, nobody is going to lose actual money paying by cc via paypal, but you are looking at a major headache and loss of time if you win this auction and it ends up being a scam.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM

CW,

Exactly.

Manny doesn't see any red flags with a guy who just spent over $7,500 dollars last month in a couple of major auctions and who then THIS month lists those items on eBay at starting prices of less than 10% of what he originally paid.

On top of that, when asked questions about those items, the seller gives short, curt answers which don't really help the prospective buyer/s.

This is all illogical to me. It seems to me that if the guy overspent his budget or had some emergency come up that he needed to sell these cards quickly so as to get cash, he would be MORE than happy to answer questions about the items and help the prospective buyers out as much as he could.

David
Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Get a grip folks.

I've got a bridge to sell you...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I am told

I am told by a good hobby reference that the seller does definitely have some of the items listed. Don't know about all of them but definitely some of them. Still not very good customer service and I would hate to have any kind of dispute.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Leon,

Definitely intriguing to say the least. I guess that will put give some peace of mind to some.

I've dealt with some very abrasive and arrogant individuals, but I've never been told not to bid on something after a logical request.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I would run as fast as my fat little legs would carry me!!!
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 05-24-2012, 02:20 AM
Pup6913

So now we can bid on them
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Put yourself in the seller's shoes for just a minute. If he does indeed own the card, isn't it kind of a slap in the face to ask for a picture of the card next to a piece of paper with his eBay name?

He was asked to PROVE he owned the card. It would be no different than a seller asking me to show him my bank statement to PROVE I have the means to pay for the card. It just doesn't set the tone for a good transaction.

I guess I just see it differently. I wonder what would happen if that same question were asked of PWCC (or one of the big time ebay sellers)? What would their response be?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

I just looked at the seller's items and noticed that he ended all of his auctions. Wonder why that was, I doubt it was because of his wonderful customer service

David, the big difference between the two, is PWCC has a huge following and has built a reputation based on their history and CUSTOMER SERVICE. People are reluctant to spend that kind of money if there is any doubt to the legitimacy of an auction. I'm sorry, but if I'm selling a high valued (for that matter any) item and I'm wanting to get the most for it, I'm not going to tell someone "no" and "do not bid". Just not good business practice and it appears to show since he removed the listing of all of his auctions. He can do as he wishes, but with responses like that, I'm sure it would turn some people off.

r/
Frank
Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Shaun Fyffe

David,

I understand the thought that it might be a slap in the face, but there were a lot of red flags from the jump..from the private sales to the fact that he is auctioning off a bunch of high end items that were recently listed in the major auction houses.

Had those factors not been in place, I wouldn't have even made such a request.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM

Hmmm, now I'm wondering if he just used those card auctions to generate more views on his autographed baseball auctions (knowing full well he was going to end the auctions on the day they were supposed to end).
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Pup6913

I bid and recieved a bid cancellation this morning. Now I am not saying Leon's source was wrong but I am very curios now what's going on. Seems really fishy now for sure or maybe it was to much of a hassle for the seller
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
I bid and recieved a bid cancellation this morning. Now I am not saying Leon's source was wrong but I am very curios now what's going on. Seems really fishy now for sure or maybe it was to much of a hassle for the seller
The guy had a few of the cards for sure.... Can you really predict anything from someone that has private listings/bids on ebay and gives answers the way he did? But he did own at least some of the nice cards that were up. Maybe he thought he would lose money on them so shut them down.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Jeff

Default Hmmm

A curt flipper, not an entirely new phenomenon.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Can you really just shut down your auctions with the only justification being that you didn't like the price that it looked like it was going to fetch.

That is what buy it now and reserves are made for. Everyone knows that a $0.99 auction is a roll of the dice.

I think this guy is trying to pump his views for the baseballs he still has listed.