NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2019, 07:58 PM
Matt

Default Problems with Ebay username Cardbuyer20?

My wife has always said selling on Ebay is like 'playing with fire' and I've been pretty fortunate over the years, but a recent buyer really pissed me off.

Username 'Cardbuyer20' bought this '68 Mays PSA 8 from me for $270 that I personally had graded a couple months ago. I shipped it to him in a Priority Mail box and as always, packaged it very securely wrapped with plenty of padding. It was delivered on 1/7. I got notice from Ebay on 1/10 that he requested a return because the holder was 'cracked'. It took him 3 days to figure that out (assuming he opened it on 1/7). I've had less than 5 returns in 18 years, and I really doubted it cracked during shipment (MI. to OH.), plus there was no mention from him of a damaged box. He claimed that I shipped it that way. I accepted and paid for the return and got the card back 1/14. Sure enough, cracked upper right corner of holder.....but after looking closer there's CLAMP or VISE marks in the plastic on the front and back edges of the holder. I'm not sure what scam he was trying to pull, but he screwed up and then figured Ebay would cover his ass! I only briefly chatted with him once via Ebay after he made the initial claim, so I opened a protest explaining the story/claiming fraud on his part, etc. and of course, Ebay sided with the buyer and refunded all the $$ back to him. I asked for $35 to help cover the reholdering from PSA, but nothing from Ebay. What a load of BS.

THEN, this really topped it off. He left me Negative feedback stating..... 'Card is graded PSA 8, case is sealed but cracked, card is definitely TRIMMED!'

WTF!! I did absolutely nothing wrong during this whole transaction. I called Ebay at this point and they agreed it was excessive, refunded the return shipping cost I had to pay which somehow meant they sided with me, and that erased any feedback left for the transaction. Has anyone else dealt with this idiot from Ohio named Eddie Young?

Matt Pienta
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img688.jpg (78.9 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg img771.jpg (79.6 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg img772.jpg (79.3 KB, 432 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:40 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

That sucks Matt. No personal experience with him. Just a few tips from my own online sales. In an effort to stop this from happening again you have to cya from the start. When shipping a card valued more than $50 I will use a box. A 400 ct or small priority flat rate box is fine. If you ship in a bubble mailer they can claim that it was damaged by the PO. In a box if they claim they get it damaged, especially a graded card you have to fight the battle before the return. If you can convince eBay that you shipped it securely and he buyer intentionally damaged it then they can deny the return. Make them submit photos to eBay and tell them there is no way it could have happened in transit. If the return is accepted they are going to refund the buyer.
Just make sure they didn’t remove your Mays and put another one in its place. Sorry you got burned on this one.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:43 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
That sucks Matt. No personal experience with him. Just a few tips from my own online sales. In an effort to stop this from happening again you have to cya from the start. When shipping a card valued more than $50 I will use a box. A 400 ct or small priority flat rate box is fine. If you ship in a bubble mailer they can claim that it was damaged by the PO. In a box if they claim they get it damaged, especially a graded card you have to fight the battle before the return. If you can convince eBay that you shipped it securely and he buyer intentionally damaged it then they can deny the return. Make them submit photos to eBay and tell them there is no way it could have happened in transit. If the return is accepted they are going to refund the buyer.
Just make sure they didn’t remove your Mays and put another one in its place. Sorry you got burned on this one.
I think he said he shipped it securely in a priority box.

Sometimes people just suck!!

Last edited by whitehse; 01-17-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:48 PM
St@n Go.len

Probably tried to switch the label. Or something. Sorry you went thru that. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Sorry

Sorry to hear this Matt. I will add "Cardbuyer20" to my blocked bidder list on EBAY.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Anson

Quote:
This was my thought too. That might have been the original intent. The crack definitely doesnt look like something due to a poorly packaged shipment.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Ohio, bro. I never deal with them anymore.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default we blocked him a while ago-painthistorian

cardbuyer20 had abused the return system and we had blocked him prior for a similar issue. Since you cannot leave negative feedbacks as a seller, be aware this e bay customer has been a problem with us also.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:46 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
cardbuyer20 had abused the return system and we had blocked him prior for a similar issue. Since you cannot leave negative feedbacks as a seller, be aware this e bay customer has been a problem with us also.
Larry............I figured he tried this on someone else at some point. Thanks for replying.
Matt
Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 AM
octavio ranzola

I never use ebay thats why sorry matt what a loser.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:19 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Thanks for the heads up, he is blocked.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 AM
Matt

Quote:
Adam..........I always ship cards of value in Priority Mail boxes and have for years. Convincing Ebay? I explained my case in detail, but they really don't care about buyers like this........Matt
Old 01-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Ive sold many things on ebay and had 1-2 or two idiots like this. Just need to move on. But you do occasionally fantasize about parking the car outside their house and meeting them in the driveway with a tire iron at 2 in the morning and going all Soprano on their sorry azz.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:46 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Ive sold many things on ebay and had 1-2 or two idiots like this. Just need to move on. But you do occasionally fantasize about parking the car outside their house and meeting them in the driveway with a tire iron at 2 in the morning and going all Soprano on their sorry azz.
You know Steve, Ohio isn't really too far from Michigan Then again, it's only an old baseball card and life goes on.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:26 AM
Dave

Sorry to hear this. Seems super fishy. On the BBL now.

Hope he didn't damage the card on you, trying to crack it out of the holder.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:32 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
...I opened a protest explaining the story/claiming fraud on his part, etc. and of course, Ebay sided with the buyer and refunded all the $$ back to him. I asked for $35 to help cover the reholdering from PSA, but nothing from Ebay. What a load of BS.

THEN, this really topped it off. He left me Negative feedback stating..... 'Card is graded PSA 8, case is sealed but cracked, card is definitely TRIMMED!'

WTF!! I did absolutely nothing wrong during this whole transaction. I called Ebay at this point and they agreed it was excessive, refunded the return shipping cost I had to pay which somehow meant they sided with me, and that erased any feedback left for the transaction.
Very recently, I had a bogus NAD claim also. In the past(up until a year ago with my last bogus NAD), a quick phone call to a human at ebay was able to resolve any bogus NAD claims. In these past cases, I would still take the return back but not cover the return or original s/h. However, with this recent claim, I received much the same response from ebay as you. Even after confirming via an ebay message from the buyer that he essentially filed a bogus NAD claim, the CSR provided a one time courtesy refund for the return s/h only. The CSR pushed the "free returns" program as with returns it would allow sellers to offer only partial refunds for damaged items (such as this Mays card), but only if the return was for buyer's remorse and not a NAD return.

I then asked the CSR what had changed with eBay's stance on bogus NAD claims in the past year and I was told that essentially the buyer's word still stands, even if they are proven to be dishonest. I was told reporting the buyer was my recourse and then, once again, the CSR pushed the "free returns".....hopefully the pendulum swings back the other way and allows for more recourse for sellers in cases like this.

Steve's approach to this situation is the approach I have taken, block and move on. Hopefully these situtaions stay rare.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Robert Williams

Sounds like he tried to crack it out, was unsuccessful as he wanted a clean cracked case, and wanted his money back.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Banned

once again bobby nailed it
Old 01-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Sorry to hear this. Seems super fishy. On the BBL now.

Hope he didn't damage the card on you, trying to crack it out of the holder.
I sell just a handful of things on eBay each year, but I have no desire to deal with anybody like this. Blocked him (even if the likelihood of his buying something from me was next to non-existent).
If I were in your shoes, I might consider sending him a note that explains how you are on an established hobby chat board that includes a lot of people with great cards he may want to deal with in the future - and that you've posted about your experience and many of these people have already blocked him from bidding on their items. It may help him understand how his actions and attitude are going to hurt him. Of course, at this point it may be better to not engage with him at all and let him find out on his own down the road...
Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Sounds like he tried to crack it out, was unsuccessful as he wanted a clean cracked case, and wanted his money back.
Agree. I think he wanted a label change, and cracked the case. He wasn’t trying to get the card out, just exchange the flip. Has a higher graded card and want to change the label. And the case cracked. My opinion but fits the facts shown.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:37 PM

This thread will really get interesting if the buyer is a member of Net54 and comes on here to discuss it.