NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Mike H.

Default What would you choose?

Here is the scenario: You are moving to a world where there is no baseball memorabilia of any kind and there will never be any value associated with any of the pieces you take. In fact, they will all be barried with you. Which three pieces from your collection would you choose to enjoy the remainder of your days and why?

My first choice will be this oversized Cubs pennant. I chose this piece because it represents one of my two favorite hobby niches, it incorporates one of my favorite teams, and I enjoy looking at it closely.

My second choice is my new Spalding trophy. Figurals are my other favorite niche and this is my finest example. It has crossed bats (I love anything with crossed bats), is loaded with detail (very interesting to look over) and it is life like.

The third choice was by far the most difficult because no one piece jumped out at me. I finally settled on this mug because of it's warm rich visual appeal. I find myself walking over to this item over an over to take a closer look, so I figure it would probably be a great choice.

Last edited by mjkm90; 01-16-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:42 AM

Default Talk about torture Mike... Just THREE?!

Alright, I'm going with a Gehrig Triple Crown...

gehrigeyes.jpg

gehrigjimmyAUTO.jpggehrigjimmycloseup.jpg

gehrigtelegram1941.jpg

And as for the "why"?

I'll always have someone to look straight in the eyes and talk Baseball.

I'm on a first name basis with that same guy.

And I'll always know that the person whom I chose is someone I'd want my son to be like.

Last edited by thekingofclout; 01-16-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default This was a hard one but great question

Baseball Extra covers the history of the game.
Classic Baseball Cards covers the player as they changed with chose up shots.
Tuned to Baseball Ernie Harwell gives the personal touch of the players.
The last one was hard to leave off because I would like to have the Greatest player tell how the game is played but wanted as much about the game as I could so have to go with the first three. D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baseball books 002.jpg (44.8 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Baseball books 001.jpg (39.1 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Baseball books 003.jpg (38.7 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg Baseball books.jpg (40.2 KB, 380 views)
Old 01-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Mike H.

Would it make a difference if I said you could not open the book? Not to pooh pooh vintage books (which I love and have many of), but I'm looking more for pieces you would like to view for what they are rather than a source of baseball information. I hope that makes sense.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 PM

First piece was a no-brainer for me--my 1927 Yankees team-signed ball:

Next, my Ruth ball:

Can't quite decide on the third item. It will be a Yankee Stadium piece--the real Yankee Stadium, not that monstrosity north of 161st Street.

Either the opening day program

or the letter "M" from the YANKEE STADIUM sign that hung over Gate 2:

Last edited by David Atkatz; 01-16-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Brock

My first choice would be my 1926 Yankee Ball.
Photobucket

Second item would be the ceiling padding from the home dugout from the old yankee Stadium.
Photobucket

And the third would be Chris Chambliss game used Yankee hat.
Photobucket

P.S.
David love the Yankee Stadium M.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Rick P

Default Wow, what a brutal question!

You guys are bringing out the heavy artillery on this one! Fantastic stuff and thank you for sharing it!

First, my 1933 Sport Kings store display poster...advertising, cards and the Babe all addressed in one piece.

Second, I'd HAVE to have a ticket - and the Opening Day 1939 Cardinals ticket with the Baseball Centennial logo is the best looking one I've ever seen.

And third, this Safe At Home lobbycard signed for me by my childhood sports heroes...autographs, movies and the M&M boys. Only problem with this is every time I see it I get jealous of that kid.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:37 PM

Default Hey Rick...

"And third, this Safe At Home lobbycard signed for me by my childhood sports heroes...autographs, movies and the M&M boys. Only problem with this is every time I see it I get jealous of that kid."

After reading all of your terrific stories surrounding your collection... I just assumed you were that kid!

Last edited by thekingofclout; 01-16-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Rick P

In my dreams, pal! The sad truth is I even have a 16mm print of the movie (that's how we did it before all those newfangled videotapes came along).
Old 01-16-2010, 04:49 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default Lou

I'm with Jimmy. Its Gehrig all the way.

First. My favorite piece in my collection.

Second. Has the additional benefits of involving Ruth. And, if I am allowed I can read the paper as well.

Third. Fits all my collecting interests. Gehrig, autographs, and off the beaten path. Plus there is just something really cool about it. Of course, I would fix the glass first.

My only other question would be if a set of cards would count as one item or not. If so, I would leave off the Midweek Pictorial and bring the 1934 Goudey autographed set I am working on.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Default Hey Mark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I'm with Jimmy. Its Gehrig all the way.

Second. Has the additional benefits of involving Ruth. And, if I am allowed I can read the paper as well.
Regarding this piece, not only was the comment funny, check out the look on the Babe's face and the light bulb above him. It looks as if the Bambino just got struck with an idea. Most likely something to do with broads & booze.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:09 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Jimmy,
Bad photography on my part, but very funny.

Perhaps while he was looking off in the distance, he spotted a hot dog vendor.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Default Boy David...

[QUOTE=David Atkatz;775558]First piece was a no-brainer for me--my 1927 Yankees team-signed ball:

Next, my Ruth ball:

I've said it before and I'll say it again David... You've got some pair of BALLS there!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Would it make a difference if I said you could not open the book? Not to pooh pooh vintage books (which I love and have many of), but I'm looking more for pieces you would like to view for what they are rather than a source of baseball information. I hope that makes sense.
OK Mike how about these three. Baseball Clamp Saddle, Railroad Bat and my Trophyball. D.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 09-19-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Mike H.

Atta boy!
Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I don't think I can pick my top 20 (much less than my top 3). My taste is constantly changing, and my area of focus just around goes in circles.

First it was autographs, then (in this order) pennants, bobbing heads, Hartlands, arcade games, pennants again, game-used uniforms, game-used bats, autographs again, early equipment, pennants again, and now early statues and figural pieces. Fickle, indecisive, obsessive and psychotic... I know!

Since I'm limited to only 3 here, I suppose it's these... but subject to change on a daily basis. On another day, I would have to throw in at least one pennant!

3. Ty Cobb "Safe" Figural Trophy (only other one I've seen was in Halper)

2. Tony Perez' Home Flannel from his finest season (1970) (my favorite Player- obviously!)

1. Incredible Reds Metal Ticket Sign from Crosley Field. I believe that 3 of these survived, and this one might go to my grave. One of the few magical items that I remember seeing as a kid, and never anticipated owning one day... this is the centerpiece of my Reds collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg net54 004.jpg (76.1 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg net54 018.jpg (70.4 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg net54 019.jpg (71.7 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg net54 017.jpg (74.8 KB, 218 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 AM

Default Crosley sign

Incredible Crosley ticket sign- very nice!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Keith

Wow - you guys have some incredible stuff! Whatever would be in my top 3 would pale in comparison. Check back in with me on this question in 5 years or so.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:09 AM

Before I post any of my own pieces, just have to say this is one of my favorite threads -- some incredible items:

Jimmy, I've always thought your personalized Gehrig autograph is just about the coolest thing any collector can have -- and yours is stunning.

I would also use the word stunning to describe your two autographed balls David.

Rick, I would say that Cardinals ticket is the best looking ticket I've ever seen!

And Mark -- the Perez jersey is drop dead gorgeous, and the minute I saw your Crosley Field sign, I remembered it right away -- I drooled over it (or another very similar one) in a Leland's auction years ago. I also saw your Connie Mack statue in another thread. I too have that statue, and I also got mine on ebay years ago. One more great thing about it -- the Hall of Fame also has one on display in it's Philadelphia A's display right outside the Babe Ruth room.

Dynarl -- I'm curious about your ball stitcher -- every one I've ever seen doesn't have "vise arms" like that, but instead has arms that kind of contour to the shape of a baseball. Having grown up with parents who are antique collectors, it immediately struck me as a harness maker's bench. it's cool to learn something new at my age!

Greg
Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Gerg This Stitcher was purchased in Hasting, Mi. where the Spaulding and Wilkens Manufacturing Company was. They were one of the largest baseball and croquet makers of the time before the fire destroyed it. Remember these where hand made and not all the same and do to hard times some were used for more then one project. Sometimes the husband would do saddle work and the wife would do baseballs on it in the kitchen. D.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Clemente

AMAZING items everyone! Thanks for sharing. The diversity on this thread is Pretty incredible as well. Onto my top 3.

1) Don't have a scan (and sure I don't need one). It is my Clemente rookie (probably about vg-ex)- what is so special about it? I was about 13 years old and had to beg my mom for about 40 minutes at a card show to shell out the 48 (negotiated down from 86) bucks for it. It was the beginning of my Clemente collection as well as having attached some fond memories of the negotiations with my mom around it.

2)snapshot of Clemente - The original photo has Clemente standing in the infield with a stadium in the backgroud - I edited to use on my digital Clemente checklist (work in progress). The image just blows me away. It has somewhat of an ethereal feel. When I look at it, it is almost as if Clemente is here standing on front of me. Sorry to butcher it up a bit, I do not want it copied.

3) 1967 Pinup sticker of Clemente - I used to set up at shows at Robert Morris college in Pittsburgh(my brother would come to help me out - 6 hour drive was great bonding time) - Over the years I made a number of friends. None better than Jim C who purchased this for me. It is a fond memory of the trips to Pittsburgh with my brother, my friendship with jim, and the possibly one of a kind item.

In hindsight I am amazed at how easily those 3 items rose to the top of my collection of ~500 vintage (pre 1973) clemente card and memorabilia items. Thanks for the opportunity to share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clemente photo.jpg (58.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 Topps pinup sticker.jpg (28.3 KB, 177 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Graig Kreindler

Mark, that Perez jersey must be the absolute crown jewel. I'm glad that you're the one who owns it. Great piece!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks Graig... sometimes it seems surreal (and even very wrong) that I own that thing. But I am not complaining, as I am incredibly fortunate... it brings back such incredible memories...

A side note is that's the year our family had to move away from Cincy... we relocated the same day as the 1970 All Star Game. It was the Reds' first pennant-winning year in my lifetime, and we weren't there to savor it. Brooks Robinson would break our hearts to end the season, but it wouldn't be too long before the Big Red Machine was cranking on all cylanders.

Perez did not wear flannels for the majority of his career, as the Reds switched to knits after 1971. So it's great to have this thing, on so many levels!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Banned

Because it's easy for me to arrive at a No.1 choice, and because everything else in my collection runs a distant, distant second, I'd be taking my 1948 Indians World Series ring and nothing else. Sorry for the poor photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1136.jpg (67.4 KB, 149 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Al

Default What would you choose

Mike this is a very hard question indeed!
I dont show this very often:
1) My Munson 1977 Set 1 Home Jersey
2) My 1956 Signed Dodger year book
3)My 61 in 61 set of pins (I cheated a little multiple pins)
oops forgot the pics

Last edited by batsballsbases; 01-19-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Graig Kreindler

Rob - daaammmmmnnnn!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Al

Default what would you choose

Here are the Pics.

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Rob - daaammmmmnnnn!
Graig, you might appreciate this. It's the original artwork for the 1948 ring from the Balfour archives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1137.jpg (67.5 KB, 130 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Graig Kreindler

GREAT piece, Rob. Isn't this the second ring that Balfour handled? I seem to remember the first being for the '46 Cards? That's just friggin' awesome.

Is it safe to say that you're a big Cleveland fan?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Default Damn Rob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Graig, you might appreciate this. It's the original artwork for the 1948 ring from the Balfour archives.
First off, I absolutely concur with Graig.

And being a collector that lives for companion pieces, I must say that your original painting as a companion piece for your incredible ring is far and away the best tandem that I've yet to see! Well done Rob, well done.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Default Al... you've been holding out on us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Here are the Pics.
Now Al. You once told me that other than pins, TYPE I photos were what you loved to collect.

You forgot to mention that you were sitting on things like a THURMAN MUNSON GAME USED JERSEY and certainly the finest SIGNED DODGER PROGRAM I have ever seen!

What else you got in that vault, Al?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Al

Default What Would You Choose

Thanks Jimmy,
Well I might have a few more items up my sleeve from time to time.
I have always loved that dodger yearbook. The hard part about it is the cover has 14 sigs I had the book framed, with Jackie Robinson who signed thru the bums coat Hard to see). But the inside has 18 beautiful sigs with a walter alston,gil hodges,and a pre accident Roy Campanella and just about any of the other dodgers you can think of. But you always have to take it out of the frame to look at it. Here is the Campy And Remember Mike only told us we could only take 3!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
And Remember Mike only told us we could only take 3!
Yeah. Mike is on my SH*T list for limiting us to three pieces
Old 01-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Al

That Damn Mike! Goes out and gets a spalding trophy then sets limits on the rest of us. And plus he spelled buried wrong! Lucky for him Barry doesnt like to visit from the card side And for the record I also wanted to say Your Lou Gehrig card and Davids BALLS are the best I have ever seen!! Always a pleasure to see all the nice items the other guys have!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Al

Jimmy,
I had to put this up I know it would never compare to your Gehrig But Joe did this for me at a Golf outing. We are both born on the same day! November 25th! Sorry Mike thats 4

Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Max Weder

If my Rocky Colavito Lou Darvas doesn't make it (sure wish there were some Indians collectors on this forum....), I'd take these 3:

Baseball as viewed by a Muffin--in case one gets hungry

Saskatoon cigar box -- in case one needs a good smoke after supper (I don't smoke, but what the hey)

And Andy Aitkenhead's Saskatoon Sheiks sweater, in case one gets cold

Max
Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Rob D...

Amazingly beautiful Ring and Balfour Original Artwork. Maybe stunning is a better word for them both. Is there a story behind how you found the Balfour artwork (and which piece you acquired first... the Painting or the Ring?)

Unbelievable posts by all so far... perhaps Mike H. will let us post 3 additional favorite items to this thread, come February...
Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Ricky Anderson

Max, I love the old wool sweater.

Here are my 3.

1. Spalding trophy. Really love the detail put into these things. Since Mike chose the basemen, I'll choose the catcher.

2. White Reach one inch web. Super condition and one of the whitest gloves I've seen. It's like butter on the hand. One of my first trades.

3. Toss up. Either the Tony Lazzeri Lucky strike sign or the coin operated catcher game. I love both, but either one is fine with me. The Lazzeri is a neat sign with such vibrant colors! The coin op is very cool and very entertaining to play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catcher.jpg (71.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg mine.jpg (46.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg game.jpg (74.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg tonyl.jpg (29.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 01-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Rob D...

Amazingly beautiful Ring and Balfour Original Artwork. Maybe stunning is a better word for them both. Is there a story behind how you found the Balfour artwork (and which piece you acquired first... the Painting or the Ring?)

Unbelievable posts by all so far... perhaps Mike H. will let us post 3 additional favorite items to this thread, come February...
Mark,

I got a call from a gentleman in either 1996 or '97 who was retired in the New England area and saw an ad I had placed in some hobby magazine (maybe VCBC?) for vintage Cleveland Indians items. He said that for years he was one of the main designers/artists at Balfour, and when he retired he took much -- if not all -- of his work with him. He explained that when a team won the World Series and chose Balfour to produce its championship rings, the company would present 3-4 sketches of possible designs to the team's ownership. He said he kept all of the designs that eventually were chosen by the clubs through the years.

I forget now what all he had, but he said the list included a lot of Yankees rings from the 1950s and '60s, along with designs of some All-Star rings. He knew what he had, figuring that the Yankee pieces were worth the most and at first wasn't even sure he wanted to sell any of them. This was just before it was common for folks to e-mail scans back and forth, so all I was going on was his descriptions of the artwork. After a couple more calls during the next few weeks he agreed to sell me the 1948 artwork for $600. I was a bit nervous, because though I had an idea of what I was buying, I had yet to see anything. But when it arrived I thanked my lucky stars that he had contacted me.

I never even asked about buying the rest of the collection, and I keep expecting to see pieces show up in an auction, but I never have.

The ring was acquired in a Jerry Smolin About Time auction in late 2001. I'll always remember when it was because the auction ended about a month after 9/11. I think that the timing of the auction and the mindset of our country at the time played a part in keeping the price down. I know that I paid far less than what I expected, something that doesn't seem to happen very often.

The one thing I'm missing that would complete the trifecta is a presentation box the rings came in. If memory serves, Leland's auctioned one in the mid-1990s, but because that was before I had either the artwork or the ring, I didn't give much thought to bidding on it.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's an amazing story, Rob... I would have guessed you acquired the Ring first!

It's always exciting to find something rare like that (or in your case, one of a kind) outside of ebay or the auction houses. Must have been a real thrill to unwrap that one. Thanks for the great post and story!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Clint

Brooks Robinson hat. Favorite player from my favorite team.

Mike Boddicker jersey from 1983. Only World Series win from the Orioles that I was old enough to remember.

Walter Johnson postcard. Memories of my dad and I going to postcard shows. My dad had to give up some of his prized postcards so I could get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5000282.JPG (63.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg S5000838.jpg (78.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg S5000841.jpg (79.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg WJ.jpg (18.0 KB, 54 views)