NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 PM
Mark

Default George J Mullin's Personal Scrapbooks

I recently acquired the personal scrapbooks (2 books) of George J Mullin, star pitcher for the Detroit Tigers from 1902-13. Looks like his wife put these scrapbooks together, since it chronicles his baseball career and death. The vast majority of the scrapbooks are period newspaper clippings (baseball), however there are a few pieces of ephemera.

I'm not really a baseball collector (prefer 19th century Ivy League football memorabilia) so this type of stuff is not within my wheelhouse. Thought I would post here for thoughts/suggestions on what to do with them (donate to library, baseball hall of fame, etc).

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Brian Macdonald

Great history there, wonderful item.

More evidence too of Ty Cobb's positive persona with his personal telegram to the mourning family
Old 08-22-2016, 01:34 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Certainly some neat items with a bit of value. If you donate to the HOF it will likely never see the light of day again. Perhaps you should look to send to an auction house? This way it can go to someone who truly appreciates it and is a fan of Mr Mullin or the Tigers of that era.

It likely will not garner a ton of money...the newspaper clippings have little value but the other pieces of ephemera you have shown do all have some value.

Whatever you decide to do, they are truly wonderful pieces.

Tom C
Old 08-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Mike Dugan

The Baseball Hall of Fame would be the perfect place for the donation. If you send them to an auction house they will cut apart and sold an individual pieces and a wonderful piece of baseball history would be lost forever.

All items in HOF Library are available for viewing by request. It is a terrific piece of history.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:26 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
The Baseball Hall of Fame would be the perfect place for the donation. If you send them to an auction house they will cut apart and sold an individual pieces and a wonderful piece of baseball history would be lost forever.

All items in HOF Library are available for viewing by request. It is a terrific piece of history.
I don't really see anything in what was posted that would be worth breaking up the books for. $50 here...$75 there...I don't think that an auction house would do that for such little money. I think that the value is more so in the totality of the pieces and where they came from. Unless there is some other item in there that has great value...in which case I would amend my remarks. From what I see, however, I do not think that the fear of cutting the items up is warranted.

Tom C
Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Mark

Yea, besides 1 or 2 more letters (Robert Mattingly and a kid named 'Willie Lawton') the rest are newspaper clippings of Mullin.

I got to imagine the real value in these scrapbooks is in the provenance of actually belonging to Mullin.

A couple people asked me about Mullin autographs. I didn't see an autograph of Mullin, however there is a short note written by one of the newspaper clippings. Did he write this? Could also be written by his wife or daughter.

Last edited by cfhofer; 08-22-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I don't really see anything in what was posted that would be worth breaking up the books for. $50 here...$75 there...I don't think that an auction house would do that for such little money. I think that the value is more so in the totality of the pieces and where they came from. Unless there is some other item in there that has great value...in which case I would amend my remarks. From what I see, however, I do not think that the fear of cutting the items up is warranted.

Tom C
+1
Old 08-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfhofer View Post
Yea, besides 1 or 2 more letters (Robert Mattingly and a kid named 'Willie Lawton') the rest are newspaper clippings of Mullin.

I got to imagine the real value in these scrapbooks is in the provenance of actually belonging to Mullin.

A couple people asked me about Mullin autographs. I didn't see an autograph of Mullin, however there is a short note written by one of the newspaper clippings. Did he write this? Could also be written by his wife or daughter.

Mark,
The writing along side the clipping is undoubtedly George Mullin's wife, as it doesn't match exemplars of his writing that I have seen.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:37 PM
ThreadKiller

Default Mullin scrapbook

perhaps a local Detroit hall of fame / Tigers historical society would have a greater appreciation for the item...scrapbooks in my experience have never brought great bank ($$$), but to the right person / historical institution - big OR small - they're a nice piece of history.

neat item either way, and best of luck whatever your decision - good luck.

Last edited by FourStrikes; 08-22-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:57 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Do not donate them to the Hall of Fame or anything. Auction house is probably the way to go, may not bring a ton of money but someone would love to own them and may actually look at them periodically unlike the HOF that will set them on a shelf and they will literally never see the light of day ever again.

I love museums as an institution and if you have something that will actually be put on display that is the route to go, but an item of this nature will never be on display and will sit on a shelf.

I can't help but think of all the work and time Jefferson Burdick dedicated to his collection, he donated them to a museum and they have never done anything with them other than a small rotating display they they seem to look down on having to put out there!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Mike Dugan

If there is no big value, history trumps collecting every time. The research value here could and would be invaluable.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is in a class by itself for both displaying and providing the research materials for baseball historians. They are friendly and everything is accessible.

I certainly can't speak to Mr. Burdick's collection and what has or does happen in New York. The failings of the BBHOF at one time was to trust people in their research department. As we know not all collectors can be trusted. Actually that is a bad statement, those people stealing are not true collectors or researchers like most on this board. They were simply thieves. That is not what our hobby is about but as we all know sometimes the wrong people creep in.

I also believe people should do with their holdings what they choose, but to criticize the Hall of Fame is wrong, they do a wonderful job.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Mike Dugan

Mark, Tom & Rhett please understand this is just my opinion, in no way is it an attack on your opinions.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Mark

Appreciate all the great advice and suggestions from the forum members. I will probably sell them to a passionate Detroit Tiger collector/fan, who can appreciate their historical significance, or donate to a local Detroit museum (Bentley Historical).

I noticed on the reverse of the Mrs. Ty Cobb business card a little note in reference to the birth of George Henry. Unfortunately, he passed away in infancy (1914). Can't tell if the handwriting is Ty Cobb's or not. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again guys!

Mark

Last edited by cfhofer; 08-23-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:54 AM
Tim

I'm certainly no expert, but I looked at several exemplars of Ty Cobb's handwriting online (there are several handwritten letters....you can Google them). I don't think your example is Ty Cobb. The letter "g" is consistently different in the online examples, among other differences. But, again, I'm no expert............perhaps others with more knowledge will respond. I know there are several signature/handwriting experts on this board.