NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Mike Reid

Default Who had a positive impact on your collection ?

I remember as a kid going Bill Carrols ( one of the dealers who set up at the shows in the early 70's in and around the Detroit area) house with my dad and looking at all the cards I had never seen before. The were all goudey and playball cards of guys I had only read about in books. Ruth, Foxx, Gehrig and it was endless. My dad would always buy a couple of cards (mostly commons). I am 55 now and my Dad is 94 and we still enjoy talking and looking at those cards today. Mr. Carrol was always so accomadating to a 12 year old kid who didn't have the money to pay him what the cards were worth but he took the time on a number of Sunday afternoons and soon became a friend. Looking forward to hearing a few stories from some of you regarding your memories about people who made a collecting impact on you.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

MattyC and Begsu changed how I collect cards.
And ALL the pre-war guys give me excitement when I see their cards.
Thanks NET54.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 12-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Ben North

For me it was my younger brother. He was around 10-12 and I was in my late teens. He stopped out to my place to visit and brought a hand full of cards. He had just started collecting and wanted to show them to me. I opened a drawer and said I have these. His eyes got as big as plates and said do you know how much those are worth. I said no because they had been sitting in that same drawer untouched since I was a real little kid. My older cousin had problems and passed away in the early 70's and gave me the cards before he passed. I had 2 nice stacks of 60's baseball cards and 1 nice stack of non sport cards. The non sports cards were beat to holly heck. The baseball cards looked like they just came out of the package.

I was hooked the second he brought out a price guide and starting looking up the Mantles ,Fords, Koufaxs, and all the other stars. I have been collecting every since except a few years off in the early 00's. I have a little bit of everything now that fills an entire room. Between selling and trading those 2 stacks of baseball cards turned into the whole room full of cards/memoribilia. Best part is I can guarantee overall I have not spent a penny out of pocket for that room full of cards.

Weirdly my brother collected for a few years and stopped. I owe my collection and the fact I collect to him. Sorry for the long story, would also like to read others stories.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:04 PM

Kinem's Sports Cards.

Didn't even have to think twice...So much information, great deals and most importantly, dude is a good human...
Old 12-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Rick Clemens

Goodwin Goldfaden from Adco Sports Book Exchange on Santa Monica Bl in West Hollywood California. A friend and I used to go in 1969 and he would bring out shoe boxes full of T206's with the cards laying on their sides. All were Sweet Caporal or Piedmont with an occasional Polar Bear. He would shout at us "do you kids have money"?. The price was 1.00 for commons and 2.00 for HOF's. I bought the attached Walter Johnson for 2.00. One thing for sure about him he never left a T206 rare back or Cobb (who he was a big fan of) in the shoe boxes. I bought 5 T206's from him over time and still have them all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnsonportt206piedpsa5.jpg (77.1 KB, 1753 views)
Old 12-02-2017, 05:00 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Keith Mitchell helped me navigate the waters of the Old Judge market when I first started collecting in the early-1990s. He was a mentor, a friend, and one of the pioneer researchers in this area. The man from Bettendorf, Iowa is certainly missed.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Po.well Mill.er

Bill Latzko has been a huge help for my collection. A wonderful guy. Fair, knowledgeable and honest.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Glyn Parson

Vince from Renningers in Adamstown, mike Delaney from Greenwich street in reading, beanie schlottman, chick levengood, Levi, jim and my father have had the most impact on my love and knowledge of the hobby

Last edited by glynparson; 12-03-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:54 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktmd View Post
Goodwin Goldfaden from Adco Sports Book Exchange on Santa Monica Bl in West Hollywood California. A friend and I used to go in 1969 and he would bring out shoe boxes full of T206's with the cards laying on their sides. All were Sweet Caporal or Piedmont with an occasional Polar Bear. He would shout at us "do you kids have money"?. The price was 1.00 for commons and 2.00 for HOF's. I bought the attached Walter Johnson for 2.00. One thing for sure about him he never left a T206 rare back or Cobb (who he was a big fan of) in the shoe boxes. I bought 5 T206's from him over time and still have them all
Me too! In the same time period. Also got my T206 WaJo from him - funny. Decades later, when I "renewed" my collection, I realized I had a T206 Duffy Red Hindu. Graded highest any TPG, and sold at auction (Hi Scott and Leon). After he sold off his books/periodicals/etc (to the University of Notre Dame, South Bend, which, at that time, and maybe still, gave them the largest sports text collection in the world), Goodiie moved just a quick bike-ride from where I lived. Was over there a lot. I got stories.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:38 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
MattyC and Begsu changed how I collect cards.
And ALL the pre-war guys give me excitement when I see their cards.
Thanks NET54.
I see I responded in this thread 5 years ago, but this post is still accurate today. I haven't talked to Bob in quite a while but Matt and I have become good friends through collecting and have very similar tastes and interests. He completely changed the way I look at cards. Many do the same thing these days, but my ideal card may be lower grade than some would consider, but with centering and overall eye appeal that transcend the grade.

I should add that as for dealers, I've probably bought more cards from Don, of Don's cards, than anyone else. Including one today. He has certainly had a very positive impact on my collection, as have Brady and Jeff who were mentioned earlier, and Sean Bassik.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 11-23-2022 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Starting out.....

When I first started to collecti I would study the trade publication about sport cards. I ended up buying my pre-war from Mark Macrae and Frank Nagy. I would study the lists they would send me through the mail for hours and if I had any questions they would take the time to drop me a note and explain whatever I was asking. Frank had these really cool business cards that had reprints of awesome pre-war cards on them. If he had a Yankee one he would send it to me. Mark was always such a gentleman and still is and alway knocked off a few dollars from the asking price.....

That was a special time before internet and grading.....
Old 12-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Banned

Default Cory Snyder "GUNSMOKE" - My Brother Shane

Worst trade ever by my brother. We were 10 or so, he had a cigar box full of cards I had a Cory Snyder Gunsmoke Cleveland Indians poster. The trade of a lifetime. I looked up most of the Cards AND Got a Walter Payton rookie and 2nd year as well As Steve Largent. Not even worth grading today, HOWEVER, the best cards that I own today by far.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Frank Nagy sticks out as being quite influential to me as a new hobbyist back in the 1970s. His mail order auctions were so cool. He would actually ship you the winning lots before payment, giving you the option to pay if you liked the merchandise or just return it if you didn't. Only once did I return something . . . a 1934 Jimmy Foxx Batter Up card that came with the top half discarded. I complained that I was only getting half a card for my $11.50 winning bid, and I got this long detailed letter from Frank replying that he had seen this card go for more money and in worse condition than mine was. But he balanced it all out by saying that it was ultimately my choice, and I had the right of refusal after all. Often he even gave me bidding tips. What a guy Mr. Nagy was!
Old 12-31-2017, 04:10 PM
Hank Thomas

Larry Ritter. Reading "The Glory of Their Times" around 1975 or so sparked my interest in old time baseball and led to all kinds of adventures about it, including collecting, that I don't think I would have ever pursued otherwise. It's always been a pet theory of mine that it's no coincidence at all that not long after the publication of "Glory" in 1966, and it's subsequent success, collecting the cards and memorabilia of the players and teams of the period covered by that book started getting into full swing.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:46 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

An older board member gave me some words of advice. He passed away unfortunately about a year later. I have visited his site at Arlington Cemetery and that's the closest to in person I ever got but the emails and stories we shared is what lit my passion for prewar. I am sure Joe is deeply missed on this board.

Member since 2009
Old 01-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Яоь

For vintage: this place.

Now I am intimidated by all the great stuff in other people's collections.

Looking for one card for each of the following (SGC only):
e94 Blome's Chocolates
e98 Old Put Cigar
e99 Bishop & Co.
e100 Bishop & Co.
e104 Nadja
e105 Mello-Mint
e107 Breisch Williams

Successful transactions:
aconte, brianp-beme, Luke
Old 01-06-2018, 12:41 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I'd thank Brad Green, a member on this board. His Lefty Grove collection (Link) with all of the color variations gave me the start and motivations for my player set collections.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Mike Reid

Just checked out that Grove Collection. I really like those Wheaties panels.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Think my earliest influencers were Steve Murray, Kevin Struss, Craig Lipman, JC, Wesley Liu, Robert Silverman.

Even before I knew them I admired their collections and taste in cards.

Last edited by Bicem; 01-07-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default for me it's mom

I believe she might have passed the gene to me. Pictured here in the 60's in her studio loft. I learned "stuff" was cool. My dad was in the Navy and best friends with Eddie Shorin and his family - the TOPPS guys. Two unopened vending boxes circa 1966 sent to me at camp. Lots of flipping and knockdowns. Fast forward 26 or so years and my friend Scott unloads one of his two Alan Hager back-door procured Topps Stadium Club pre-production sets on me. It went downhill from there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20180515 (2) (452x620).jpg (51.4 KB, 588 views)
Old 11-17-2018, 04:20 AM
Mike Reid

We lost a great collector this week. My Dad passed away on Tuesday 3 months after his 95th birthday. He was a huge Detroit Tiger collector especially Al Kaline. He was a WW ll vet and a great American. I loved our trips to the National Convention and his last one was in Chicago in 2017. I took him to the Net 54 reception in his wheelchair and he had a blast meeting some of the members. He collected right up to the very end as we sat on his bed and looked at cards on the day before he passed. What a great hobby we have that brings a bond between a dad and his two sons. Godspeed Dad, going to the National next year wont be the same. So if you see a 57 year old guy walking around the National with tears in his eyes please stop and introduce yourself. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2018, 05:23 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

So sorry to hear about your dad but, pleasant memories are there, and that is important.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

So sorry for your loss. While there is bitter pain in losing your Dad I am absolutely sure you know how lucky you are to have had him with you so long and him be such a great influence in your life. And that he got some joy from attending a Net54 dinner makes me happy too. And if you were here right now you would see another 57 yrs old guy shed a tear for your dad. May he rest in peace and happy collecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
We lost a great collector this week. My Dad passed away on Tuesday 3 months after his 95th birthday. He was a huge Detroit Tiger collector especially Al Kaline. He was a WW ll vet and a great American. I loved our trips to the National Convention and his last one was in Chicago in 2017. I took him to the Net 54 reception in his wheelchair and he had a blast meeting some of the members. He collected right up to the very end as we sat on his bed and looked at cards on the day before he passed. What a great hobby we have that brings a bond between a dad and his two sons. Godspeed Dad, going to the National next year wont be the same. So if you see a 57 year old guy walking around the National with tears in his eyes please stop and introduce yourself. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2018, 07:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss, Mike.

Your Father sounds like he was a great man!

Last edited by irv; 11-17-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:10 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Hey Mike,
I am really sorry. I hope you feel truly blessed and thankful that your dad lived to be 95, which means you got to spend a great deal more time with him than many, if not all, of us got to spend with our own fathers. That is really a huge gift.
Hang in there.

--elm

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:36 PM
Mike Reid

97E53A56-7CBA-43D4-85C2-8CD46C8D2E02.jpgI bought a lot in a recent auction that had a number of older hobby magazines etc. I was going through the box and almost fell out of my chair. My Dad is on the front of the Sport Hobbyist magazine from 1975 along with Gates Brown. I remember going to that show and getting Gates autograph. My Dad passed away last November and I will tell you that photo brought back a ton of great memories and a few tears as well. Four days after that box of magazines arrived I lost my second biggest supporter of my collection as my Mom passed away on April 13th. I can’t thank them enough for all of the encouragement they provided in my collecting pursuits.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:57 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default TedZ

Ted Z made me a 1949 Bowman fanatic.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it eat the dogfood