NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Default How Many on the Board Actually Follow Baseball?

Posted By: James Feagin

Might seem like an obvious question, but collecting and being a fan of the game aren't automatically inclusive. How many of y'all actually follow present-day baseball? If you don't do you have an interest, and where does that interest end?

James

Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Douglas

I'm a big baseball fan. Growing up in Anaheim, I'm a HUGE Angels fan, though I follow the Dodgers well enough (Mostly so I can annoy Trevor).

It's a good question, though. I've oftened wondered about it myself!

Go Angels!

Doug

Old 06-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Casual follower but the truth is on October 13,1960 when Pittsburgh beat the Yankees on Bill Mazeroski's 9th inning home run I never thought baseball could ever get any better than that and in my humble opinion there has never been a greater day in the game of baseball since.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Todd

I'm bummed that I was just a bit too late to pick up Corey Patterson in my fantasy league.

Still collect baseball cards--steeerike ONE
In a fantasy sports league--steeerike TWO

Just paint a big red "G" on my forehead.

So yes, I do follow baseball. Thrilled that baseball is back in DC, and having a National League team means I get to see both AL and NL. I love going back to RFK, not because it's any great shakes as a stadium, but because it's where I first went to games with my Dad.

Now if we can get a cable deal here...

Bill

Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I am only interested in an overview of the major events relating to modern baseball. Im still learning much of what is baseball history.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I follow my beloved Chicago White Sox, and havebeen doing so for about 20 years.
After last October, I thought it couldn't get any better than that.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

I ask the question because there is so much discussion of cards on here, it's interesting to see if there are actually baseball fans behind the cards. For the record, I am a baseball fan first, collector second. My collecting results from my love of the game. However, I am an Orioles fan who has gone underground because of the current ownership. Nothing is more wonderful than watching minor league baseball on a nice summer/spring night.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Bill:

I actually liked you until your last post!

I remember running home from school to catch the end of that final 1960 World Series game. They actually played them in the afternoon back then. Needless to say, the loss was pretty disappointing to a nine-year-old who had learned to be a die-hard Yankee fan from his father and grandfather.

Now it's my wife who is disappointed when I park my butt watching the current Yankees on TV or force her to listen to them on the radio when we're in the car.

Kevin

Old 06-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Wal-Mart against the The Sisters of the Poor

Old 06-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

My family has been a baseball family for five generations now, so my Grandfather told me. My Grandfather grew up in Brooklyn and lived and died with the Dodgers. He then moved to California one year after they did. My Father was a part time fan of baseball and the Dodgers. Then there came me. I grew up watching the Dodgers in the early 80's with my Grandfather and I was hooked. They where the team for me. Now I have a six year old son Hunter and he loves baseball. I think he likes the Dodgers only because I make him. He is on the Blue Jays now so he wants to collect and watch them right now. But yes baseball is a part of my family and life and I will always be a fan. A DODGER fan!!!! GO BLUE!!!!

And yes being a Dodger fan means to hate the Angels. (Sorry Doug)

Old 06-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Dejected Expos fan here. I used to get to as many games as possible when I lived in Montreal. So many great memories! Vlade's 31 game hit streak. Heckling Pat Burrell so bad that he turned around and gave us a serious stink eye and wave off. Sneaking in 12-packs and hiding out in the nosebleeds during blowouts. Getting into fistfights with the mascot Youpee. Hitting on the VIP stewardesses with very little success. Playing wiffle-ball with Bill "Spaceman" Lee. Naked french guy streaking across the outfield. I could keep going but I know where to stop.

I always enjoy following the game and watching on TV even though my team went kaput. I'm sorta half way on the Blue Jays bandwagon now but it just aint the same I tells ya!

I'm also in a fantasy league. Somebody slap me for taking Teixeira with my first round pick!!! Argh.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dustan Hedlin

I love to watch baseball, and I'm actually going out west for a week and a half at the end of July to see all 5 parks in California and the one in AZ. After my trip, I'll have been to 21 different parks. 20 different teams, and new Busch Stadium.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stratton

I'm a long suffering Tigers fan. I was there in 84 when Gibby took Gossage yard and it is still the most electric moment I've ever experienced in person. There hasn't been much to cheer about since the late 80's so it's pretty exciting to watch them play so well this year.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Novotny

I am a big fan of baseball. I follow the Athletics and the Cubs. Most of the time tough I am following my kids to their games. I love the sport at whatever level it is played.
Jim

Old 06-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I love baseball. Modern baseball, baseball history, wiffle ball, whatever - I can't get enough of it.

I look at each baseball season as an installment in a serial novel. You can read any one of the novellas and enjoy it by itself, but it's a whole lot more enjoyable if you read them all and understand how they relate to one another.

-Al

Old 06-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Giants season ticket holder and in last place in my fantasy league!

P.S. I picked up Patterson a couple of weeks ago and benched Edmonds- he sucks!

Old 06-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Love the game. I don't see a lot of MLB games live, but do like to go the the local Single A games. I also have the MLB TV package and see parts of 700 or 800 games on TV per year. I love the art of the game and watching players who understand the importance of the little things...moving runners up, throwing to the right base, catchers blocking balls, etc.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

baseball has always been a big part of my life and my family too. started playing and learning the sport when i was 5 and played all the way up to varsity baseball team in high school ( california 1993 pacific league champs, Hoover High)im 30 now and will be putting my son on a t-ball team very soon. Dodgers are my team for as long as i can remember. although i dont keep up with current events in baseball i still catch the highlights and go to a Dodger game here and there (went last saturday and got a free dodger shirt) been collecting cards since jr. high school and started collecting heavily recenlty. LONG LIVE BASEBALL Americas favorite past time!

Old 06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

I actually remember Mazeroski's HR though I was a little kid...bummer all the same.
I'm a big Yankee fan..season ticket holder and am enjoying watching the "baby Bombers" this year.
So when I started collecting in the mid 80's my main focus was Yankee cards from t206 through Mantle as well as game used bats with a heavy Yankee emphasis.
I also have been in a baseball rotisserie league (NL only) for the last 10 years so I watch alot of NL baseball .
So yeah..I follow baseball

Alan

Old 06-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

Chalk me up as a baseball fan.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I am a partial season ticket holder for the Twins, new ball park in 2010!!!!!!! I am in a fantasy baseball league, attend local college wood bat league games, will be going on my 4th baseball trip this summer (Great Fun!!!!!) and keep up daily with the stats. Winters get boring, good thing we have this forum to take care of some of the baseball fix.

Football fans are for the lazy Americans that can't keep there attention span for more than 5 minutes.

Lee

Old 06-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am addicted to the cards and couldn't give a rat's ass about major league baseball today. If I see a game on tv I might watch an inning. I think they are big, overpaid, babies. If there was NO major league baseball it would make no difference to me. However, with that said I really enjoy going to the local minor league games in Frisco, Tx. They are really enjoyable, don't cost a ton of money, and the guys look like they are still having fun. I think it's the major league players that I despise so much. The last strike really turned me off too. I do still love the game and hope to get into some mens softball soon....but have also just volunteered most of what free time I have to my little girls softball league. Did I mention I can't stand major league baseball? (that being said I was appreciative of a free ticket that Texas Ted gave me and Rich K, last year)....THE company I kept made that game enjoyable....best regards...your addicted collector moderator dude...

Old 06-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

for the History of the game. Present day baseball holds little interest for me though I will go to one Cubs game this year on my birthday/father's day and then only because my son bought the ticket.

Edited to say amen to Leon's post as I hadn't read it when I posted.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I have managed to get to at least 1 red sox game every year since 1946. When I lived in Boston walking distace to Fenway from 1960 to 1980 I got to about 50 games a year. Harder now, but with Tampa and Miami not too bad. I also rember Mazeroski's HR and as a sox fan was happy to hear it. Best memory of 60 though was seeing Williams last HR at Fenway, landed about 50 feet from me.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Our 5th grade teacher let us watch the Yanks-Pirates WS game 7 on tv in good old black and white so I got to see Maz' pop fly homer live.
I am a very long suffering Twins fan (since the beginning in '61). I will watch most American League games if I am in the mood but hate the National League except the Cubs.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i'm a huge baseball fan...always have been...always will be...big yankees fan to be specific. i grew up in nj going to yankees games with my dad, moved to baltimore for dental school and saw cal break LG's streak and am now in mn where i root for the twinkies...when the yanks are not in town!

pete in mn

Old 06-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

I gotta love the Twins, don't have a clue about any other team or players. I watch them once a week, and try to get to a few games each year (hot bogs and 3.2 beers, nothing better). I'm really excited for our new stadium!
I used to be real goofy about the Twins was I was young (Age 6-12), I would watch every game and mark all the pitches if they were balls/strikes and the hits/errors and anything else...would like to see those today.

Lee my e-mail is - hanksta_3@yahoo.com

Does anyone know how to tag my e-mail to my name? I'm guessing I would have to upgrade to premier service?

SeanBH

Old 06-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew Parks

They're still playing baseball in the big leagues? Who knew?

Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

So i'm not the only one. Andrew and Leon sound like me.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I follow baseball everyday (Go Tigers!). Sure the players have changed over the years but I still admire the game. I would rather watch baseball than any other sport.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

I love the game and I stay up late to watch my Indians play! Still waiting for another title!

Jimi

Old 06-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

When you post, where it says "Your Email (optional)"....put your email addy in there...and you are all set. And I agree...what major league baseball ? Although, I am not knocking anyone that loves it. It's still a great game that I enjoy playing....

Old 06-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

I follow the Orioles although not with the enthusiasm I had when I was a kid.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

While I am convinced baseball will never be as great as it was in the 1930s and early 1940s (sorry, t-card collectors, but this was baseball true golden age!), it's still the next best thing. I loved the recent international baseball "classic," and I still read the box scores every day (since early 1970, by the way!).

I used to root for my favorite teams, but I can't even remember who they are because I am now hopelessly addicted to fantasy baseball, which manages to subvert all natural team allegiances. I even root for the dreaded Yankees now, because I have Jeter and Giambi on my fantasy team. By the way, Bill, don't lose too much sleep over Corey Patterson. I had a chance to pick him up and then I looked at his on-base average ...

Old 06-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matthew

I have had this discussion before & it still is surprising to me to see how many don't follow the game. I got into collecting because of a love of baseball, but I suppose everyone is different.
I follow the game pretty closely but really like the minor league games. I have a couple of minor league parks within close distance & the games are a blast. I will have to admit keeping up with the current players is much better than trying to keep up with the new card releases. Also love fantasy baseball (even though I am sucking in the net54 league!) & was lucky enough to pick up Corey Patterson last night in 1 of my leagues. Could not believe he was still there as I was scanning the players!

Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I was a huge Milwaukee Braves fan because my mom grew up in Wisconsin and my grandparents lived there. My cousins lived in Milwaukee. Eddie Mathews was my favorite player because he grew up in Santa Barbara, where I grew up as well. Aaron and Spahn were big favorites also. I got Mathews' autograph at Dodger Stadium in 1964. When the Braves left Milwaukee . . .

I still read the sports pages first every day and follow the Dodgers and Angels because I live in LA. I don't really root for either team, though. I am probably more a fan of Vin Scully than the Dodgers. I've been listening to Scully for 45 years.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K

Beyond following the Twins boxscore every week or so I couldn't care less about today's baseball. I love the vintange/deadball era. When I was a kid I used to listen to Herb Carneil(sp.) every night in the summer call a game while lying in bed. What a voice he had! I even had my foot run over by Tom Brunanski's car during the 87' World Series parade. I lost interest in 94' and it's never come back.

I get to Miller Park a few times a year mainly for the tailgating. I'll take my 3 y/o son this year just to experience a game.

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 06-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Admitting this may get me banned from the board, but I'm a Blue Jays fan through-and-through

Have been ever since I discovered baseball as a kid, and now I watch as many games on TV as I can. It's a bit of a hike into the city, so I don't catch as many games as I'd like, but I did get to Opening Day this year (for the first time).

And while it may not rank up there for those who lived through Mazeroski's shot, I'll never forget watching Carter round the bases after his dinger in '93.

Regards,

Richard.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

I am like Bill K. Follow the Red Sox through the paper, but if I don't read anything about baseball for a week or so I don't feel a loss. I go to the games to get together with friends and drink beer on a summer evening.

I collect cards because I did it as a kid with my dad.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I watch as many games as possible and between minors and majors im going to about 20 games this year inclduing the all-star game. I would say i watch at least parts of 500 games per year and i have xmradio and listen to a game whenever its on and whoever is playing altho if the Yankees are the only team on and its their home announcers i wont listen,ill just follow the score. Im obsessed with baseball in general and will read or talk about anything from the beginning till now altho 19th century major leagues is my favorite subject

Old 06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

I think I stopped following modern baseball in 1994, when the Expos were leading the division at a .641 clip and the strike killed the season. I still follow the Mariners, the Red Sox and know the stars, but unlike when I was 21, I can no longer recite the entire 40 man rosters of all the teams, and I am now continually surprised when a player retires at 35, and I've never heard of him

(I can hardly wait until Zach turns 47, and he suffers a similar fate)

Max

Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I check the standings each morning. I am not as much a diehard as i used to be. When my two children played, one in Babe Ruth, and the other a college all conference shortstop, it made the pros' seem not as interesting anymore. I still love the game. But I enjoyed my children much more. Anyway...it is great to know that Minnesota will finally get a professional stadium. I will be increasing my annual visits to watch them, going from none, to probably 15 or so. I can't wait. WOW....sunshine, grass, and clouds and birds....too bad Kirby won't be here to see it.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

John:

And here I thought you hated the Yankees because you thought Omar Vizquel was a better all-around player than Derek Jeter, not because you didn't like their announcers.

So, how would you rank from most-hated to least-hated:

Jim Kaat
Michael Kay
Al Leiter
Bobby Murcer
Ken Singleton
John Sterling
Suzyn Waldman

Kevin

Old 06-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

Easy enough.

Thanks Leon o' Moderator Dude

Old 06-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I love the game but am more into the history than following current players. I would rather and do attend more minor league games than major league contests. I lived in Charleston, SC for a few years and really enjoyed attending the single A Riverdogs games. $4 to get in a watch young kids play good hard baseball. Who knows how many of them were on HGH or other performance enhancers; that's fodder for another debate.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Die-hard Detroit fan for 22 years and counting (84 Tigers - last Championship). Not an easy proposition given the lean years (decades)

The White Sox are going down tonight (after a tough loss last night).

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 06-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I still follow the game every day, but not nearly to the extent I did in my younger days. I'm a life-long (I was 6 when they joined the NL) San Diego Padres fan (to the two Tiger fans who posted earlier, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!.....I still hate Kirk Gibson!!!!!!!). The game just isn't the same these days, with the overpaid prima-donna players who refuse to sign autographs for anyone including kids, and the steroid controversy. Having said all that, I still absolutely love going to games. I'm currently living in San Antonio TX and try to get to Houston a few times each season to see the Astros, especially when the Padres play there.

For all their mediocrity, the Padres have actually had some great players (Dave Winfield, Willie McCovey, Rollie Fingers, Gaylord Perry, Ozzie Smith, Goose Gossage, Steve Garvey, Graig Nettles, Tony Gwynn, and my personal favorite, Randy Jones, who won the 1976 NL Cy Young Award).

Steve

Old 06-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Steve,

Only 4 of the players listed were farmed Padres: Jones, Winfield, Smith and Gwynn. Those aren't bad players. Don't forget about Mark Davis (Cy Young Award winner) and Ken Caminiti (first MVP). Just for good measure there was also the Padres first 50 HR player in Greg Vaughn. What about Nate Colbert?

No, I don't follow baseball...

Actually, I feel like there's something missing from the sports pages from November to March...

Old 06-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I don't follow the game as closely as used to. Even though I grew up a Twins fan, and still am, I prefer the NL game over the AL game. When I lived in CA I had season tix to the A's a few years and regularly attended Giants games at Candlestick because they let military personel in free. I spent one year working the sound board for the local minor league team and had blast doing. My job prevents me from still do it

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Dear Kevin, I hate John Sterling and Susan Waldman only,i watch on tv.Waldmans only job is to follow the Yankees and she makes so many mistakes and Sterling kisses butt constantly and his homer(not home runs) calls are too annoying. The tv announcers aside from Michael Kay are knowledgeable and call what they see not what they see thru pinstriped glasses,but Kay isnt that bad that id turn him off.Only Tim McCarver gets shut off on tv