NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default O/T The Texas Show - Sports Card & Memorabilia show - Frisco TX, Apr. 26,27,28, 2019

Hey Guys and Girls
A friend of mine, Kyle Robertson of Dallas Card Show fame, and I are discussing and looking into doing a larger "3 day" North Texas baseball card show. We are considering the 3rd weekend in April 2019 for the first one and maybe 1-2 more per year. Does anyone know of any big situations around that time frame which could hinder it? Our goal is to have 150 +/- tables along with autograph guests and many AH's set up, who don't usually come to this neck of the country. It seems North Texas hasn't had any larger shows in quite some time. Thoughts on the subject are appreciated especially concerning the time frame.

**updated title to reflect new information 1/17/19 and new info in post 28
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe94crawfordorange.jpg (74.5 KB, 479 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-20-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:03 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Leon, no real thoughts, but I do wish you luck and hope you are able to get the show off the ground. I'm sure you already have, but if not, I'd suggest reaching out to Joe Drelich who does the Philly Show to see if he has any suggestions. Also don't forget REA is usually at the end of April/beginning May time frame, so there Spring auction may be full swing at that time.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers

Last edited by x2drich2000; 12-23-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Steve

Third weekend in April 2019 is Easter weekend.

Second weekend in April 2019 is The Masters. Baseball is awesome, but The Masters is right up there.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey DJ
Already have spoken, more than once, with REA, Joe D., and many, many more. This hasn't been a split second thought on doing the show. It seems this area is a bit under represented in larger shows with some national presence. And Kyle has been successfully doing local card shows for a few years now, which I have set up at many times. He and I live about 4-5 miles apart which also makes executive meetings very easy.

And thanks for the feedback Brass Rat. There is probably a show stopper for every weekend in the year, so in that respect, we just want to collect as much info as we can and make a decision based on that. Easter and the Masters have to be considered, for sure.
No contracts have been signed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Leon, no real thoughts, but I do wish you luck and hope you are able to get the show off the ground. I'm sure you already have, but if not, I'd suggest reaching out to Joe Drelich who does the Philly Show to see if he has any suggestions. Also don't forget REA is usually at the end of April/beginning May time frame, so there Spring auction may be full swing at that time.

DJ

Last edited by Leon; 12-23-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:09 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Leon, depending on what is happening with me then, I would be excited to make the trip from Arkansas! There aren't many shows in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Rich Klein

Leon:

The person who noted the show is Easter/Good Friday weekend is right. That has always been a terrible weekend for shows. Kyle currently is the 3rd Saturday of the month in Frisco and since that is the day in between, that is the best option for that weekend.

If I were doing April, I'd run either the 1st weekend or the final weekend of the month. The 2nd weekend is close to IRS day and we've discussed the 3rd weekend.

I think you would do fine with the big show, but look a tad more carefully at the dates

Rich
Old 12-23-2018, 02:40 PM
Steve

Leon,

If you could find a second reason for people to come to Dallas, you could get a nice gathering outside of locals.

I would try to fly in if I could get my buddy Jerry (gabrinus) to drive down for whatever show.

Jerry, you listening?

You could also look for corresponding events on websites like this to find reasons for people to make a weekend of it:
https://www.visitdallas.com/

I'd love to see the Mavericks play.

Steve
Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Banned

leon is right (again). just like collectors continuing to do business with auction houses and ebay sellers who they pretty much know are corrupt, it's all about the stuff. if the show is good with good autograph guests (assuming there will be some at such a big show) and top notch dealers people will come. that location seems like a good choice because of the high population around it and i don't see easter as being a problem.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for the feedback so far, gentlemen. It's appreciated. Kyle and I are still in heavy discussions about it.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:13 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

It would bring me out of retirement. Will be good to see everyone again.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Mike Dugan

Third weekend also see the Astros in town to face the Rangers! May be a draw?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:00 PM
Kin K.

Not that it’s a surprise but I’m a local and would attend. I’ll also attend any show wheee I can catch up with Matt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
It would bring me out of retirement. Will be good to see everyone again.
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 12-25-2018, 06:11 AM
Jerry Tate

Default Dallas

Steve, I plan on flying my Gabrinus Inc. chopper down to Dallas for that...I used to have a flyer for a Vietnamese strip club in Dallas...see if I can find it...that could be fun....Jerry
Old 12-25-2018, 08:28 AM

There's a Raleigh show the Saturday of Easter weekend every year that seems to do well. Maybe you could try try a 2 day show, Fri & Sat ?

http://www.insidepitchpromotions.com/raleigh.htm
Old 12-25-2018, 09:54 PM
Rich Klein

Alan:

That's what I suggested to Kyle BTW. He already had his Frisco location scheduled for Saturday since he does the 3rd Saturday of each month there. Many times he can get the room the day before and if so, then the double is worth doing.

Many people are off that Friday so a Friday Afternoon-Evening/Saturday combo is not a bad idea for that weekend at his normal location.

As I mentioned, if I were to do a big April show I'd do the first weekend or the last weekend of the month because the 2nd weekend is too close to tax time and we've now discussed for this year Easter.

The biggest issue for Easter is that it's a family day (or weekend) and there are many people who attend church 1-2 days a year of which Easter is one of them. It's a small unofficial sample size but on my street there were at least 3 families who got together for Easter day or Easter weekend. Finding my normal parking space on Saturday night in front of my house was very difficult.

Will the serious collectors come, of course, but you won't see as many casual people, especially on Sunday.

I also meant to add my New Jersey Promoter Friend, Gary Sipos, who runs shows on the 1st, 3rd and 5th (when there is a 5th) Sunday in New Jersey near where I grew up, will not run a show at his location on Easter Sunday. His show is a Sunday only show.

And remember as a local DFW promoter, a well promoted big show drawing new people INTO the hobby or returning thereof can only do me good, so I do have a vested (albeit not financially) interest in Kyle and Leon having a good show. Drafting off a big show is only a positive for me.

Regards
Rich

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 12-26-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think when the show is said and done it will be a 3 day show. Of course we want the most people possible to attend so the Easter weekend might not be the best for that. We are still talking.
Another thing is the venue itself. We are looking at a location in Lewisville that is close to I35. It is not as spiffy as the Frisco location we are looking at but is 5 figures less expensive. So that is another thing we are discussing. We don't want to bring people to less than optimal digs for the show but we want to keep costs down too. I think it will be fun when it gets off the ground. This neck of the woods needs a larger show...
Old 12-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Tony Gordon

Leon, I think it is a terrific idea. You don't see too many three-day shows west of the Mississippi. I'd love to make it out there for one. Best of luck!

Rich, I agree that this show can only help yours. Case in point, the three-day shows in Rosemont, IL, help my show in Milwaukee, which is about an hour and a half away. I'm able to pass out hundreds of fliers for my show and meet and talk with folks to inform them in person about my show.

I also invite any show promoter to leave fliers at my show. By working together, we can assure success for everybody. In this digital age, it is tough to get collectors to leave their computer screens and come out to a show. I, for one, prefer a show to buying and selling online. It is so much more enjoyable for me to actually see cards in person and to chat with people who have the same interests that I have.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Clint

I’d be game for a show in Texas and would grab a few buddies to go as well. Are you looking into getting PSA there by chance?
Old 12-26-2018, 06:00 PM
sfh24

Make it happen. I am tired of driving to other cities for major shows.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:44 PM
Bob McLean

I would be interested in doing the show if it fits my schedule. I'm sure if you do three I would be available for one at least.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think when the show is said and done it will be a 3 day show. Of course we want the most people possible to attend so the Easter weekend might not be the best for that. We are still talking.
Another thing is the venue itself. We are looking at a location in Lewisville that is close to I35. It is not as spiffy as the Frisco location we are looking at but is 5 figures less expensive. So that is another thing we are discussing. We don't want to bring people to less than optimal digs for the show but we want to keep costs down too. I think it will be fun when it gets off the ground. This neck of the woods needs a larger show...
Easter weekend is a fiasco. I put in one in the early nineties, it was a colossal disaster. I vowed never to do an Easter weekend show again.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks again for the feedback (and to the others too). I think we are not going to try to swim upstream and do it on Easter but nothing is firm yet. I haven't spoken to anyone yet that says Easter weekend is good for a show, There is no use starting out in the hole. Due to the holidays there are people out so we can't make a final decision until we get the venue(s) management back in their offices to talk about availability etc.....There seems to be a pent up demand for a quality, larger show in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
Easter weekend is a fiasco. I put in one in the early nineties, it was a colossal disaster. I vowed never to do an Easter weekend show again.

Last edited by Leon; 01-08-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Kyle and I are in negotiations with the venue to sign a contract. As was the case before we could be missing some big situation but we are now hoping for a late April (27,28,29) or first weekend in May (3.4.5) time frame. Any and all feedback for those dates would be appreciated?
It is coming along nicely and there has been a completely, overwhelmingly positive response to it from almost everyone I have spoken with. Many of them are advertisers on our forum who think a larger show in this area is needed. It could be fun.

Last edited by Leon; 01-08-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Mike Dugan

Leon this sounds like a great event. I will make the long journey from Arkansas! My wife shopping in Dallas could make this an expensive weekend!!!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Kris Sweck@rd

Default Dallas Show

Leon, it’s great to hear that a large show will be coming to the area! Overdue. I vote for April 27-29, but only for personal, selfish reasons
Old 01-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Kyle and I are in negotiations with the venue to sign a contract. As was the case before we could be missing some big situation but we are now hoping for a late April (27,28,29) or first weekend in May (3.4.5) time frame. Any and all feedback for those dates would be appreciated?
It is coming along nicely and there has been a completely, overwhelmingly positive response to it from almost everyone I have spoken with. Many of them are advertisers on our forum who think a larger show in this area is needed. It could be fun.
Last year that last weekend in April was the Altman Boston Show.

Also caution that Mother’s Day on May 12.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:15 PM
Steve

First weekend in May! Nicely coincides with Cinco de Mayo, so the whole weekend will be a party.

Steve
Old 01-17-2019, 03:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default "The Texas Show" Sports Card & Memorabilia show - April 26, 27,28, 2019 - - Frisco TX

Kyle and I had a meeting with the gentleman in charge of renting out the Frisco/Dr.Pepper Dallas Stars Arena today. We are tentatively having the 1st Annual "The Texas Show" - Sports Card Convention there April 26, 27, 28 2019. The contract isn't signed but the person in charge is having the contract drawn up now and all of the terms were agreed upon. We will be getting CAD drawings to start figuring out the table arrangements asap. The name of the venue is actually changing tomorrow from Dr.Pepper to a big bank. It is the home to the Dallas Stars hockey team as well as one of their training facilities. They practice in part of it and the other part is an arena used for different types of events. It is a very nice facility inside and there is stadium seating for 4000 along with quite a few other areas to relax inside. That doesn't count any seating on the main floor or corridors. There will be autograph guests and many dealers and companies that aren't normally in this area. More details to come but those are the dates and venue. We expect to have between 150 - 200 tables plus a lot of vendors space in addition to that. It looks like we will probably be able to have alcohol served there, through the venue of course, and other refreshments and food as normal. Hopefully we will get a good turnout as the area has been lacking a good, bigger show for some time.

https://www.visitfrisco.com/listing/...tarcenter/542/

Last edited by Leon; 01-20-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Exciting stuff, Leon! Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will be able to make the drive from Arkansas.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:50 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

That's great. Excited for a show in this part of the country!!! I'll definitely be there.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I wish I could make it down there. Best of luck with the first of hopefully many great shows!

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here