NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Default T205 Wilhelm Suffe ed Help Needed

Posted By: Lee

Hello Everyone,

I just bought this t205 Wilhelm Suffe ed variation on eBay for $55. I know it is pretty rare and there are only 18 on the PSA pop report. I know little about t205's, so here it goes: Do you think this was a good deal and what do you think the card is worth?

Thanks,
Lee

Old 04-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

This is the common variation. The one that includes the "r" is the rare one.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

It seems that there is something making the suffe ed more valuable than just a "common" variation....There is a PSA 4 on ebay right now at $510 with one day to go and another PSA 4 for $315 with 5 days to go and they are both suffe ed. Plus the PSA pop report says only 18 of suff e ed have been graded, where suffered has 35 graded. I have noticed the suffered sell for more though, in ebay auctions. Thoughts? I just don't know how relately rare this card is to others.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Here is what is happening with the Wilhelm.

First off...the "suffered" version is much tougher than the "suffe ed" version. What is driving the price is the stupid PSA population report.

PSA, in it's infinite wisdom, split the variations last year in a horrible way. What they did was dump all the T205 Wilhelms previously graded, whether they were suffe ed or suffered, into the "suffered" category making it look as if there were far more than the suffe ed version. Since then, not many have been graded and the numbers are totally off.

Believe me, the "suffered" version is extremely difficult.

Joshua

PS I think you got a fair deal, not great, not bad.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Thanks Josh!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

PSA (sigh)

Yes, PSA decided the recognize the variation -- which in fact was only acknowledged(even by most serious T205 collectors) fairly recently. At the time they had graded a fair number of Wilhelms and of course they had no idea which ones were "suffered" and which ones were "suff red." I'm not really sure what they should have done since their are not many people who collect T205 master sets to begin with.

Anyway, since labeling the incorrect version the same as the ones they had already graded would have been contradictory to the labels and grading card companies can't practicably do "recalls," they started labelling the errors as they came in. Yes, reading the Pop report without any other knowledge now suggests that the error is the more scarce of the two version which is wrong. I really have trouble blaming them for this though. At least they responded to collector/customers and started to distinguish which I find commendable.

Regardless, Wilhelm was always among the very toughest cards in the set so even the more common version is still plenty hard to come by. From a dealer/seller/investor perspective I guess any Wilhelm is not too bad an acquisition at the price initially posted.