NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default Lets do a "feel good" thing for a fellow collector

Posted By: FatBoy

Hello all,

I've been thinking long and hard about Ben and his plight these past several weeks. If it were me...well, I hate to think about it.

I always have cards laying around that I use for trade bait...ones I plan on selling when I get around to selling...ones that have lost favor with me for one reason or another...dupes of cards I've upgraded in the sets I'm working on, etc.

I'm going to take the bull by the horns and propose we help Ben rebuild his collection. I've offered to replace Ben's T3 Turkey Red card and I'm going to do it (with another T3 or his choice of one of several type cards I'm going to offer him this weekend). Put yourself in his position, you won't want to stay there long. Heres the list of the cards he's lost:

N162 Cap Anson
N162 Dan Brouthers
N162 Ed Andrews
N162 "Sure Shot" Dunlap
N162 Mike "King" Kelly
N172 Count Tony Mullane
N172 Silver Flint (portrait)
N172 Jim Mutrie
N172 Watch Burnham
N172 McClellan
N172 Buck West
N172 George Wood
N175 Gypsy Queen - Casey
N184 Kimball Champs - Burch
N321 S.F. Hess California league - Ryan
N28 Caruthers
N28 Mulvey
N300 Mayo Cut Plug - John Ward
E90-1 Ed Walsh
E92 Nadja - Hartzell
E95 Eddie Collins
E96 Mordecai Brown
E99 Bishop & Co - Hogan
E100 Bishop & Co - Tozer
E103 Bender
E104-1 Baker
E104-1 Collins
E104-1 Mack
E105 Mello Mint - Knight
E106 Christy Mathewson
E107 Gleason
E107 Parent
E107 Moore
E107 Jones
E126 Am. Caramel - Schalk
E286 Ju Ju Drums - Cheek
Colgan's "Tin Tops" - Chief Meyers
E224 "Texas Tommy" Connie Mack
"Orange Borders" - Tigers Team
Voskamps Coffee - Miller
Tango Eggs Dooin
D311 Pacific Coast Buscuit - Smith
C46 Imperial Tobacco - Hardy
W514 Gandil
W504 Universal Toy - Babe Ruth
V100 Willards Chocolate Babe Ruth
T332 Helmar Stamps - Stovall
1932 U.S. Caramel - Jimmy Foxx
T3 Turkey Red - Harry McIntyre
T204 Ramly - Frank Chance
T204 T.T.T. Cigarettes - Jones back
T207 Napoleon back
T207 Red Cycle back
T209 b&w Hannifen
T209 colour - Cowell
T210 Zimmerman
T212 Obak - Daley
T213-2 Coupon - Marquard
T216 Kotton - Doolan
T222 Fatima - Schang
T227 Frank Baker
T205 Joss
T205 Mathewson
T206 Cobb (green portrait)
T206 Cobb (bat off) American Beauty back
T206 Lattimore Carolina Brights back
1914 Cracker Jack Tinker
1915 Cracker Jack Comiskey
1915 Cracker Jack Evers
1915 Cracker Jack Griffith
1915 Cracker Jack Speaker
D303 General Baking - Tris Speaker
D304 "Butter Krust" Barry
D304 "Butter Krust" Bell
D304 "Butter Krust" Herzog
D304 "General Baking" O'Toole
D304 "Butter Krust" Shafer
D304 "Butter Krust" Young
D322 Tip Top Gibson
D322 Leach
D322 Locke
D322 Simon
D322 Wilson

Keith (FatBoy)

Old 03-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I'm on board with this.
My donation is n28 mulvey sgc20.
robert a

Old 03-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

I will be more than happy to chip in a T207 Almeida with Red Cycle back SGC 40

Alan

Old 03-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Keith, like I said in my email to you, I am so very greatful for your kindness and generousity. Initially, I was a little reluctant to accept free cards from board members because I felt bad that others would have to take a hit to their collections on my behalf. But, after giving it some serious thought, I decided to accept. By NO means do I expect anyone to send me cards though. To anyone who does decide to, thank you so very much.

I think the best way to get cards to me would be to send them to Julie, and she'll put all of them together in a package for me. I would have them sent right to me, but I don't want Canadian customs to get their paws on anybody's mail. Julie can be reached at rvognar01@comcast.net and again, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Ben

Old 03-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I gave the stolen T210 Zimmerman to Ben in the first case, so I'll be glad to replace that. It won't be Zimmerman, but it will be comparable, and also Series 2 (Virgina league).

Dave

Old 03-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

I have duplicates of Chance and Carrigan in the E95 series that I would be more than happy to send to Ben. I would never want to be in his position. I am richer than I could ever imagine having a great wife, and beautiful son. Cards are fun, but they are just that, cards.

Ben, I hope this renews some of your obvious love of vintage card collecting.

I still hope they catch the F***** Bast*** who took them!

Bill Kasel

Old 03-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Keith, when you get a chance, could you edit the Ramly Evers, Sawyer Biscuit cabinet, and the N173 Smith out of the list? A few of my cards were stored in a different box and manage to escape the big pinch, and the two cabinets were in that box. The Ramly Evers I sold just days before the theft.

Thank you to Keith (again), Robert, Alan, Dave, Bill, and any other kind souls who contribute to this thread. I thought I wasn't going to continue collecting, but you guys are drawing me back (sniff). I dont think Julie's address should be posted here, but you can email her or I could always just send it out in a group email. Anyways, THANK YOU. To see fellow collectors go to such great lengths on my behalf means a whole lot.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I think it's a good idea to keep posting here, to avoid duplication--hey, this'll be fun!

Candians: send directly to Ben, but post here. (mc_big_ben@yahoo.com--ask for his address, or write me e-mail for it. rvognar01@comcast.net). Other foreigners: send stuff to me.An e-mail will get you my address.

Oh, how about the Nadja Stone you let ne keep?
I will send cards in small groups--don't know how this will take off, but I'll contact sender when cards arrive, and when I send them.

Keep requests for address coming, and Max, don't be mad.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I have either a psa3 M.Brown Cubs on shirt or a e102 Schmidt as dupes ,which ever you want. I will look for anything else to spare.

Only one promise ....that you remain a honest hobby collector !

Old 03-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

deleted

Old 03-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Eric, thank you for your kind gesture. Julie too, of course. I think there's been a slight miscommunication between us regarding the leader novelty and the W553, which I will address in a private email.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Hello Ben,

Thank you so much for the separate email and note above. I just wanted to clear up the confusion for any misinterpretation that may have been caused in my last email, as Julie emailed thinking that I may be upset about something. I only meant to compliment her, and possibly state that the loss of your collection was bitterly horrible. Sometimes my thoughts don't resonate to writing very well (this is why I hate typing, and prefer talking to people). I only have very very optimistic thoughts of you both.. but I know that you're aware of that already. Anyways, great to have you back in the fold again...keep your chin up, those cards WILL be found one of these days!

Regards,

E.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Reddick

I just started learning about vintage cards, so I have none of those to offer Ben, but if you want an '86 Donruss Jose Canseco Rookie Card I will send it to Julie no problem (I have 4 of them from my childhood collection)

Old 03-18-2005, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Ben:

I have a T206 HOF Rube Marquard "throwing" PSA 3 with a Sovereign 460 back.

I will send it to Julie for you.

Hopefully everyone on this board will have you back up and running in no time!

- Hal

Old 03-19-2005, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew Parks

I know it's not much, but I just got back into collecting and I do not have any of the cards he lost. I do however, have an extra Matty W-514 SGC 40 I will gladly contribute.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Administrator

+ the Nadja Stone.<br />Although this is an accident of availability, I found when I had to sell practically all the valuable cards in my collection in 1989, I tended to avoid the ones I had in re-buying, even deciding I hadn't liked them as much as I thought. "The 1914 Cracker Jack Jackson looks like a wooden doll." "The E90-1 Jackson has a Hitler mustache (because of the red lips misplaced--and I HATE red lips on a bseball card)". "How can anyone buy a mint T206? They're bound to be trimmed" Probably all rationalization.

Anyway, it IS an accident of availability.
Ben has done ALL the work on my website.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Administrator

:)Of course, more is always welcome!

Old 04-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Administrator

A very impressive assortment; in fact, Ben insisted on keeping two in their graded holders (the traitor!). Barring unexpected ones, or another that may be coming in a week or rwo, that's it.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! Don't worry; he's collecting again.

I have e-mailed everyone when their cards arrived and when they went out--if there's anyone who sent cards who has NOT heard from me, please speak up!

Old 04-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: (Julie)

He's right back in the thick of it. i never thought it would work, but it sure did. Expensive cards, cheap cards, weird cards...we sent em all!

Old 04-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator

I'd like to send out one final "thanks" to everyone who sent cards my way. While the void of my stolen collection still stings and will never be forgotten, the generousity people displayed here reminded me what collecting is all about, and has inspired me to ocme back to the hobby I love (albeit in a lesser capacity the second time around). THANK YOU!

edited to add a special thanks to Julie for all her help in this, and to Keith for starting the thread in the first place.

Old 04-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Obviously i came to the board after this whole thing..but just curious.....what happened?

BlackSoxFan

Old 04-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

his entire collection got stolen. At first we all looked dilligently on ebay for his cards, and then Keith (see top of thread) suggested we replace some of them ourselves. I think we sent very few actual replacements, but some really nice stuff and some really weird stuff.

If you want to chip in a card, send it to me (because of Canadian customs--Ben would be broke if he had had to pay customs on the 21 cards he got--) BY NO MEANS did everyo9ne send cards--in fact, one guy--not a regular--sent a nasty note! So if you don't feel like it, no big deal.

If you do have some duplicates, or cards you can otherwise spare, click on my name and e-mail me, and I'll send my address. I'll tell you when your card arrives at my place, and when I send it on.

Hint: Ben likes really weird and rare stuff--not necessarily expensive stuff! But whatever and if.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ted

How dare Ben let his cards get stolen, i mean the nerve... (JUST KIDDING!!!!), i'll see what i can do.... i wouldn't cross my fingers, we don't have that many duplicates and those that we do have duplicates for are because they're not that nice or something is wrong with them. Certainly nothing too wierd .... maybe i'll send him my E90-1 Jackson...

BlackSoxFan