NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default I feel sorry...

For the person who wins this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Bowman-...item566926f5bd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2014, 01:43 AM
Noel

Default But its in pristine condition

I dont feel sorry for the person as a fool and his money are soon parted. Hopefully he/she enjoys it for many years to come..
Old 08-30-2014, 03:25 AM
JT R0berts

That is just plain stupid.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Scott

People are so stupid with these new intentionally limited cards. The Strasburg cards were the best example. If you have that much money, give it to me, or someone who is financially poor. Or if u want to buy sports stuff, get somethig that is a REAL investment, Mantle, Vintage ruth, etc. Clowns.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:49 AM

It is dumb. Why not put that towards an authentic Ruth ball? No offense to the player on the card, but nothing is a sure thing when it comes to a career in sports.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:00 AM
qualitycards

If someone can afford it & it makes them happy to win it, more power to them.
This is a vintage board & not everyone collects like we do.
And if I had that kind of scratch, I too would be buying something different, but its not ours to spend.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
If someone can afford it & it makes them happy to win it, more power to them.
This is a vintage board & not everyone collects like we do.
And if I had that kind of scratch, I too would be buying something different, but its not ours to spend.
I agree. If someone can afford it, it's their money.

I remember collectors (?) spending $15,000 for Jeremy Lin autographed rookie cards and someone spent over $40,000 on a Strasburg card.

To each their own.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-30-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Richard Simon

Everyone out there is entitled to be stupid.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Or if u want to buy sports stuff, get somethig that is a REAL investment, Mantle, Vintage ruth, etc. Clowns.
I agree with the other Scott - buy clown autographs: Schacht and Patkin autographs
Old 08-30-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I agree with the other Scott - buy clown autographs: Schacht and Patkin autographs
It may be a better investment in the long run.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Is like to agree with you, but I've been there. Now where did I put that stack of Cory Snyder rookies cards? Oh, yea. Right next to my box of Mike Greenwell rookies.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:41 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

On the bright side, it's less money chasing nice pre war cards /memorabilia so he's not driving the price up on stuff we buy....

Last edited by yanksfan09; 08-30-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Steven Finley

Winner will almost certainly be a repack company like Leaf or the hobby shop out of CA that produces their own repackaged product. They will use it to headline their next product issue and almost certainly make a solid profit. The card will almost certainly be pulled in group break (like its seems Net54 will get into soon) and that person will only be into a card with a previous five figure sale only a fraction of that price. Not to mention the coin the person who pulled the card is looking at. I wouldn't ever personally pay that much for a card of someone who doesn't even have a MLB at bat yet, but I'm hesitant to label it stupid when at least four parties (probstein included) stand to profit in the near future.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Jeff

I don't know, investing in Cubs has always been a strong long term play.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Winner will almost certainly be a repack company like Leaf or the hobby shop out of CA that produces their own repackaged product. They will use it to headline their next product issue and almost certainly make a solid profit. The card will almost certainly be pulled in group break (like its seems Net54 will get into soon) and that person will only be into a card with a previous five figure sale only a fraction of that price. Not to mention the coin the person who pulled the card is looking at. I wouldn't ever personally pay that much for a card of someone who doesn't even have a MLB at bat yet, but I'm hesitant to label it stupid when at least four parties (probstein included) stand to profit in the near future.
That is largely how I look at it as well. Modern cards aren't my thing at all, but I am reluctant to call someone speculating on one or buying one "dumb" or "stupid." People can spend their money on whatever they want. To a very large segment of the population, spending $10K on any baseball card -- pre-war or modern -- would be "dumb" or "stupid."

Sure, pre-war cards hold their value better than flavor of the month modern cards. But a collector can also lose his shirt on a $10,000 individual pre-war card as well.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-30-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Brock

Hey. Good thing at least is that it's a real auto. What about the people who spend thousands on signed baseball cards, and they contain fake autos.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Hey. Good thing at least is that it's a real auto. What about the people who spend thousands on signed baseball cards, and they contain fake autos.

Who knows if it's real, they don't all have reps sitting with all these players any given time while they sign. I think there was some issue in the past like with Bernie Williams I believe where he had someone else sign his "certified" cards.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
That is largely how I look at it as well. Modern cards aren't my thing at all, but I am reluctant to call someone speculating on one or buying one "dumb" or "stupid." People can spend their money on whatever they want. To a very large segment of the population, spending $10K on any baseball card -- pre-war or modern -- would be "dumb" or "stupid."

Sure, pre-war cards hold their value better than flavor of the month modern cards. But a collector can also lose his shirt on a $10,000 individual pre-war card as well.
A couple of big differences I see: for a collector to lose his shirt on a $10K pre-war card, he has to get caught up in a bidding war that is emotional (most $10K pre-war cards have fairly well established values that are stable for longer periods). A speculative $10 modern card can lose its value really quickly.

The second difference is the collector/dealer relationship. I could certainly be wrong about this, as I am not involved in modern cards, but my guess is that dealers are generally going to dump the high-priced modern speculative cards quickly, while they have high 'value'. In other words, much more likely that the collector gets caught without a chair, than with collectors of pre-war stuff. Basically, dealers of modern stuff are turning it over more quickly because they know it's more dangerous to hang onto things. I also suspect there are more collector/dealer types with prewar, whereas with modern there are probably a lot of straight dealers.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Seriously? I beg to differ based on the last 30 years of card collecting. The only way you can lose your shirt on a $10,000 pre-war card is if you paid way more than it was worth. It isn't going to go down in value.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
A speculative $10 modern card can lose its value really.

This is it right here, Bryant steps out of the box wrong, can't avoid a pitch or what not, career could be done and that $10k card is now in a $20 bin.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

I meant $10k card, not $10...whoops.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
I meant $10k card, not $10...whoops.

I figured what you meant lol even $10 moderns can do down in a blink of an eye

Old 08-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
The only way you can lose your shirt on a $10,000 pre-war card is if you paid way more than it was worth.
That is a pretty huge caveat. You can't lose money unless you pay more than something is worth. LOL Assuming there is no shilling going on, a card is worth what someone is willing to pay in an honest auction at that point in time. Of course, I know that pre-war cards hold their value far better. But there seems to be a lot of angst in this thread over how other people choose to spend their money or collect.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:17 PM

Default JimStinson

Who is Kris Bryant ? Looks exactly like the kid that just took by drive through order at Burger King
Old 08-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
The only way you can lose your shirt on a $10,000 pre-war card is if you paid way more than it was worth. It isn't going to go down in value.
I am a Thorpe fan, so I kinda follow most of his major cards when they come at auction. One of the big price drops I remember just off the top of my head was a Thorpe M101-4 that sold for $44K at REA in 2008. The exact same card then sold for $14K just three years later at Memory Lane. I would consider that "losing your shirt." Certainly, pre-war cards are far, far more likely to hold their value or increase in value. I would never argue otherwise. But there is no guarantee of that.

http://www.cardtarget.com/cgi-bin/gm...dID=2013570207

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-30-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:53 PM
MîçhćŁ ßöwŁßĄ

No opinoin on someone spending that type of money. It is their prerogative. The card itself is such a horrible photoshop job. I cannot tell if they put his face on someone elses body, or if they dropped an oversized Cubs helmet on top of his image. Smiling while running to first - SERIOUSLY???. Plus, the jersey color looks too blue, almost cartoonish.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
But there seems to be a lot of angst in this thread over how other people choose to spend their money or collect.
I missed the angst. Maybe that's something that you are expect people to be thinking, but it's not really there - I doubt anyone cares how anyone else spends their money. In Cleveland, I got to see first-hand, all the kids AND grown-ups getting all excited about the new cards, digging through boxes and boxes of brand-new cards that had been, I guess, busted out of packs. It seemed like a great thing to me. I just am not knowledgeable enough to participate in the same searches, but I did wonder what it would take to gain that sort of market knowledge.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Who is Kris Bryant ? Looks exactly like the kid that just took by drive through order at Burger King
$co++ Forre$+
Old 08-30-2014, 09:17 PM

Every one of us who ever won anything in an auction paid more than anyone else on the planet (who knew about the auction) thought it was worth (or could afford to pay). So, should any of us really expect to make a profit on anything we win at auction, if we have already outbit the market?

I notice this Kris Bryant card is number 5 of 5. Wanna bet that numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 added together don't bring half what this one will sell for?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I am a Thorpe fan, so I kinda follow most of his major cards when they come at auction. One of the big price drops I remember just off the top of my head was a Thorpe M101-4 that sold for $44K at REA in 2008. The exact same card then sold for $14K just three years later at Memory Lane. I would consider that "losing your shirt." Certainly, pre-war cards are far, far more likely to hold their value or increase in value. I would never argue otherwise. But there is no guarantee of that.

http://www.cardtarget.com/cgi-bin/gm...dID=2013570207
When I stated that it wasn't going to go down in value, I meant it wouldn't be worthless, which is where the Kris Bryant card may be headed some day. I wish the best of luck to whoever bought it.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:

Isn't he the white sheep of the Kobe Bryant family?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-01-2014, 12:58 PM

Default JimStinson

Rich, Look at this photo and imagine the guy without the baseball cap and tell me it does not look like the same guy !!!
Plus they are both running from SOMETHING which automatically makes me suspicious

Vintage autographs for sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigboy.jpg (4.7 KB, 279 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 10:40 AM
J@son.K

Quote:
Rich, Look at this photo and imagine the guy without the baseball cap and tell me it does not look like the same guy !!!
Plus they are both running from SOMETHING which automatically makes me suspicious

Jim, I don't know you personally, but I can tell you're a big hamburger fan.

Last edited by djson1; 09-19-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Vintage autographs for sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com
The last Kips closed several years ago in our neck of the woods. A bygone era...

and to the topic, 10k for that card, to me (personally) is crazy....but I wouldn't doubt what I do is crazy to whomever bought it. As someone mentioned I would rather that buyer spend 10k on that than running me up on something I collect .

Last edited by Leon; 09-19-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Dave

Ugly is only skin deep. Stupid goes to the bone. Especially on cards like that.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:40 PM

No offense guys but Bryant hit 43 home runs this year across the top two minor league levels and hit .325.

That is a crazy price for a card of a guy who never played a major league game. But I have no idea what his looks have to do with anything. Gonna be hard to make any money paying that much though. Even if he does pan out.

Come on, some of you guys collect Honus Wagner. Talk about the ugly stick.

Last edited by packs; 09-22-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Michael I.

For all we know his mother may have bought it, or another family member i mean really if you got that king of money 10 k isnt that much
Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
For all we know his mother may have bought it, or another family member i mean really if you got that king of money 10 k isnt that much

I hope they wouldn't pay 10k for their sons/grandson/cousin etc. autograph...