NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Doug Goodman

Default Aaron - Ruth - Mays - Oh : possible signed ball question

Is there such a thing as a ball signed by Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Sadaharu Oh?

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 02-19-2023 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

I've seen Ruth & Aaron duel signed balls. Adding the other two would have been very possible.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:48 PM
J@son.K

I would just question somebody who wanted to add those signatures later to a single Ruth ball though. But then again, collectors will do all kinds of things to items that could stand as gems alone. I can understand adding a missing player to a team ball decades later. But adding to a single Ruth ball...that opens up a lot of questions to collectors who may have wanted to buy it.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
I would just question somebody who wanted to add those signatures later to a single Ruth ball though. But then again, collectors will do all kinds of things to items that could stand as gems alone. I can understand adding a missing player to a team ball decades later. But adding to a single Ruth ball...that opens up a lot of questions to collectors who may have wanted to buy it.
I meant my question to include any signed ball, that may have included other players, also.

But your comment brings up an interesting point regarding the "value" of stuff.

I'm not really an autograph guy, although as a kid I used to get autographs at games, back in those days (1970s / early 1980s) I don't remember anybody getting single signed baseballs, at least not at the side of the field. If we got rookie sensation Freddie Lynn to sign a baseball, we were happy to then hand the same baseball to Rick Burleson, or even to Campy Campaneris or Joe Rudi.

I would much prefer to have a ball signed by Babe, Hank and Willie, than single signed balls from each of them. And if Bill Dickey or Carl Reynolds or some schmuck also signed it, that doesn't change the fact that Babe, Hank & Willie all held that ball in their hands, which to me is a very cool thing.

That probably puts me in the minority, at least with collectors who are concerned with the resale value, I know.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
..I would much prefer to have a ball signed by Babe, Hank and Willie, than single signed balls from each of them. And if Bill Dickey or Carl Reynolds or some schmuck also signed it, that doesn't change the fact that Babe, Hank & Willie all held that ball in their hands, which to me is a very cool thing.

That probably puts me in the minority, at least with collectors who are concerned with the resale value, I know.
Actually, I'm with you here. Personally, I prefer multi-signed balls with several of my favorite players, especially if they are similar types of players or have some type of connection (ie- Koufax/Drysdale, all star team balls, Branca/Thompson, etc). I always felt like many single signed balls are like a waste of real estate on a ball...but I know I'm in the minority here as well. Although I will admit, some single signed balls along the sweet spot can look great too. Koufax and DiMaggio's look great across the sweet spot, for example.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:18 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Actually, I'm with you here. Personally, I prefer multi-signed balls with several of my favorite players, especially if they are similar types of players or have some type of connection (ie- Koufax/Drysdale, all star team balls, Branca/Thompson, etc). I always felt like many single signed balls are like a waste of real estate on a ball...but I know I'm in the minority here as well. Although I will admit, some single signed balls along the sweet spot can look great too. Koufax and DiMaggio's look great across the sweet spot, for example.
I agree 100%. I also love multi-signed balls. I've got a handful of HOF, HOF pitcher balls which were signed in person at the SF All-Star fan fest a few years ago.. Also have an old Dodger ball (Koufax, Drysdale, Snider, etc) and an old 1935 Tigers ball (Cochrane, Gehringer, Goslin, Greenberg, etc). My most prized ball however is a multi signed ball my dad got as a kid, which has an 18 year old Mickey Mantle on the sweet spot, surrounded by both Enid (OK) Giants and Joplin Miners. I've had several people say, "it's a shame the mantle isn't a single signed ball", but I prefer it as is. It gives a built in context and timeframe.. And I also think they look cooler than a ball that's 95% blank. I have dozens of single signed balls, but my multis are by far my favorites. I hope I/we remain a minority and can continue to pick up these balls at relatively low cost.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I've seen Ruth & Aaron duel signed balls. Adding the other two would have been very possible.
Do you have a picture?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

A few examples will show if you google:

babe ruth and hank aaron signed baseball
Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Do you have a picture?
http://www.iconicmemorabilia.com/Lot...ver-Offered!-(
Old 02-19-2023, 08:39 PM
Tim Odeen

I even told my mother! hahaha

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-19-2023, 09:30 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I even told my mother! hahaha
Amazing!

Thank you guys for all the kind words.

Does anybody have any "that doesn't look good" opinions on the Ruth or the Gehrig (he's below Frank Robinson)?

I don't really care, but I am curious.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 02-19-2023 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 11:21 PM
Jeremy

Wow, just wow!

I'm so happy for you that you finally found it after all these years! What an absolute treasure!
Old 02-20-2023, 04:55 AM

Hey Doug, congrats on finding your ball. That's awesome!
I loved your initial post & I'm glad that it finally led to you being reunited to this unique ball.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:53 AM
Tony Baldwin

Great story! I was happy for you, then sad for you, then happy for you again! Love stories like this!