NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Default M114 Stan Musial

Posted By: Phil Garry

Can anyone confirm that the below M114 Musial is the 1943 version and not the later 1950's issue?

[linked image]

Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Default M114 Stan Musial

Posted By: Mark

Phil - this one is much later than my usual area of interest, but I can tell you that from 1942-1945 the Cardinals had the WWII "HEALTH" patch clearly visible on their left sleeve - it is not present in your photo. Otherwise, at least when viewed from the back their cap-uni-socks were very consistent thru the 40's and early 50's.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Default M114 Stan Musial

Posted By: Steve F

Not etched in stone... Your Stan came from a grouping of mainly '30s/40's M114s. Worst case, Your Beauty is a trimmed '54 but who the heck knows. Wish I could be more helpful, but M114s are a bear to figure out.

This advertisement confirms that early M114s could be had at much later dates.
Six FREE posters with annual Baseball Mag subscription! ($2/yr):
[linked image]

LE; There is no arm patch, good work Mark.
Stan started with St Louis in late 1941, It appears no patch was worn at 1942 Spring Training. Also, the shoulder piping was last sewn on for the 1950 season. I believe your M114 is a rookie image from early '42, taken in St Pete. As were these others.

Same sequence, different angle.,
[linked image]

[linked image]
Wire service photo; "3/2/1942-St. Petersburg, FL: Gus Mancuso, veteran catcher, looks over young Stanley Musial (r) as the Donora, PA, batsman shows his grip. Musial started as a pitcher but a sore arm put him in the outfield for Rochester. Nothing feazed (?) when he entered the big leagues for St. Louis for a few weeks. He stacked up a 426. batting average in 12 games and captivated St. Louis fandom."

This article and your image on the '43 season may or may not mean a thing.http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/1943-baseball-season.htm

Does any of this answer your question?.. Not even close. M114 issue dates are a mystery wrapped in a riddle wink.gif

Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default M114 Stan Musial

Posted By: doug goodman

Phil -

Based on the DC address for the magazine, I believe that this is the later issued Musial :

[linked image]

Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default M114 Stan Musial

Posted By: Phil Garry

Thanks a lot for your help, guys!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default M114 Stan Musial

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I never really looked into it, but I've gotta believe Stan was wearing his famous #6 by 1950.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Default M114 Stan Musial

Posted By: doug goodman

Also, keep in mind that there were different printings of the same photos. My copy of the Musial with the batting pose that Phil originally posted has a slightly different font :

[linked image]

Sorry about the scan size. It's hard to see, but the differences are there. Compare where the individual letters line up on each line of text.

Doug

Old 03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Default M114 Stan Musial

Posted By: Steve Murray

Don't know if this will help but here are the ones that I have with Bill Greene photos:

Bonham, Ernest
Brissie, Lou
Camilli, Dolph
Cooper, William Walker
Cuccinello, Tony
Elliott, Robert
Gordon, Joe (Flash)
Johnson, Bill
Lemon, Robert
Lockman, Carroll
Lopez, Al
McCarthy, Joe