NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: MikeU

Received my latest SMR today. Low and behold there is a full page ad from Bill Hughes. This being the same Bill Hughes that reported in "The Card" that the Wagner was trimmed and all of PSA was aware. When "The Card" first came out, there were several people that brushed off Bill's comments as being lies due sour grapes and jeasouly from a broken relationship. Apparently the relationship is fine. I wonder if his quoted comments from "The Card" can still be discounted?

Too bad Rob Lifson was not heavily involved with the history of the Wagner card. With his spotless advertised integrity, everything would certainly have been well above board.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: ken McMillan

The book was very interesting and even if half of it were true, makes you wonder about the hobby. I personally think the Wagner is trimmed. For the money in the hobby, a little scarry

Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

It would be very interesting to hear Rob's opinion of the Wagner, but I don't think that is likely to happen.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: peter chao

Rob is too smart to say anything about Wagner. If he did say something about the Wagner it's likely that it would only damage his reputation.

Peter C.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: davidcycleback

Beyond the celebrity ownership and intrigue, I wonder how many serious Pre-War collectors consider the PSA8 Wagner as a card worthy of the attention it gets. I would guess surprisingly few. Sure this card lots of press coverage, but so does Paris Hilton (Paris has had plastic surgery, by the way). I attribute much of the attention and pricing to celebrity worship, including the fame and press of the card itself and the fame of its ownership ("Once owned by NHL great Wayne Gretzky" commonly trumpeted in national news articles). I guess that's what they call legend.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: David Smith

If I had the money, I would buy a low grade T206 Wagner just to have one and then spend the OTHER $2.5 or so million on a LOT of other cards and memorabilia. The $2.5 million is based on if "THE CARD" just recently sold for $2.8 or even $3 milion.

David

Old 10-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: davidcycleback

There's the old saying about people who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing. I think a lot of people equate value with price. The PSA8 Wagner would not appear on ESPN and news pages or be the subject of a book if it didn't sell for a record amount of money. In these cases, the perceived value (news value) is directly based on the sale price.

I think the the vast majority of collectors (I didn't say investors or eBay resellers) are well aware of price but most concerned with value.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

The Gretzky Wagner, we've discussed it many times, however, there is one loose end that still bothers me. In the last 2 times it was sold, why were these private sales instead of auctions?

Peter C.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: Joseph Jesselli

It would be very interesting to hear Rob's opinion of the Wagner, but I don't think that is likely to happen.

If you've read the book you pretty much have Rob's opinion.

And also of note: a click on the latest forum poll will show that most readers
don't buy the "Mastro Commission" fairy tale about the PSA8 Wagner

Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Joe,

I didn't see "Mastro Commission" fairy tale among the choices in the poll. Do you care to elaborate?

Peter C.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Peter,

It's just a silly takeoff on the Mills Commission and the myth about the birth of baseball.

As for the poll, I'm just pointing out that most respondents agree with the premise of the book that the card is altered to some degree.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: Mark L

I'll have to disagree with Joseph on this one; I think he was referring to the Warren Commission.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Mark,

You must talking about the "Single Pack Theory"!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: TONY

If Mr Hughes thought it was trimmed, what was the opinion of the other graders on the card?
Wasn't Mervin Lee also one of the graders & a close ally of Mr Hughes?
I can't imagine those both not agreeing on the "condition" of the Wagner card
"If" both said the card was trimmed, who over ruled them?
& Why?
Now that would make a great Court TV show
better than OJ & his stupid memorabilia fiasco
This card may be one of the best investments Ever or The Worst
Maybe time will tell all

Old 10-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

For some reason, the mysteries that surround the T206 Wagner does wonders for bumping up the price of the card. Starting with whether Honus actually wanted the card pulled from it's print-run to the present day trimming controversy.

Without the mystery surrounding the card, the price of it would probably drop substantially.

Peter C.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Default "The Card"

Posted By: Anonymous

I agree with David Smith above... If i had the money... I'd buy a low grade example... or even two of them.

The scarcity alone makes any authentic example of a T206 Wagner... "The Card"

Having two no matter how low the grade makes them that much more important!