NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default what effect does trimming or a miscut

Posted By: dax

have on the value of a card? I have an opportunity to pick up a great card, but it is so off-centered that it appears to have been trimmed. Otherwise the card is in incredible condition considering its age. If the card were to book for $1,000 mint, and it having this (perhaps miscut/trim) that makes it 55/45 top to bottom, but 99/1 left to right, what in your opinion would be a fair price? Thanks for your help. I really want the card, but I don't want to get robbed, either.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I have always thought cards with a severe miscut that are otherwise NM should be graded VG-EX. This means, to me at least, no worse then 99/1, i.e. with a sliver of border still there. I'm sure there are numerous opinions on this.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

A miscut card was poorly cut at the factory. A trimmed card is altered. Very big difference, so it is hard to put a value on it. A trimmed card would be worth a tiny fraction.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

that a trimmed card is worth far less than a miscut card. However, before you can really establish value you have to consider rarity. I paid a stellar price recently for a miscut (99:1) card from a very rare set. I had not seen the card offered for sale in a long time.

It sounds like you are ambivalent about the card and are therefore asking for the folks here to validate your decision on a financial basis. I don't think that is the right direction to go in making your decision. If it is something rare and you really need it, don't worry about value so much; you aren't going to sell it, right? Take it as it comes to you and the value thing will sort itself out later by way of the rarity. If it isn't so rare that it is worth picking up in any shape, wait and shop for one you really want to own.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

As some of you have mentioned, I think the card is dimensionally deficient. In other words, I think it has been trimmed. In my mind, like many have all ready suggested, I think of trimmed cards differently---worse. The card is relatively rare, and I don't mind paying a premium for something that I want. I was simply asking this expert board how they felt about trimmed cards and how the board feels it will effect the value of the card. As has been mentioned, this card would probably be a 7 or 8, but for the trim. What would the trim make it from a grading or value standpoint? Thanks, again.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The only grade you would get on a trimmed card is "authentic". As Adam said, if it is very rare, then it is worth pursuing, if you will be happy with it. If with patience you can find an untrimmed copy within your budget, it might be best to wait. Even a low grade example with creasing would be more desirable than a trimmed one.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Dax, to answer your question as best I can, I think a really eye popping example of a card that is trimmed and would thus grade authentic, is worth approx. the value of the same card in a PSA2/SGC30. Usually a card that grades a 1 or poor is pretty deficient for eye appeal and thus I feel sells at the bottom of the totem. A 3 already becomes a collector grade, and often cards like caramels will only come in higher grades infrequently, so vg cards sell pretty well. A 2 lies somewhere in between - and I think approximates the value of the card you describe.

Daniel

Old 01-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Maybe $50 if miscut; less if trimmed.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Thank you all for your help. I guess I'll take a flier on this card and wait til a better comes around. Thanks again to all who helped.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Just so you get the correct perspective, from what I have personally sold, I get about 15%-25% of the price of a card that is in vg if it is trimmed...if miscut it should be closer to 50-60% depending on many other factors. So if I have a $1000 card that is vg but is trimmed I would expect to get around $200 for it....give or take...If the card is only miscut badly, I would expect to get maybe 50%-60% of that price....maybe more since it's a lower condition anyway....now if you have a high grade card, say in a PSA8 holder, that was worth 3k, but is trimmed, the varience could be much more drastic due to the value....Since I don't collect high grade I don't want to say too much about that, value-wise. I do know a little about collector grade though....good luck...and best regards

edited to add that if it's a nrmt card valued at $1000 I would still go with my estimate above of around $200-$300, give or take a little.....

Old 01-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

To give you the real correct perspective, if a vintage cards value in mint condition(as you describe) is $1,000--then it is probably a common or a less popular set, then the nrmt-mt price is probably $350-$400 and the near mint price $175-$200--at least this is a good rule of thumb. A card centered 99/1 would be no better than vg--hence 25% of the nrmt price or $50. If it is trimmed--less.

Jim