NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Ben North

Default 1962 Jello Mantle Advertising Piece/Store Display?

Not sure what this is. A friend bought it as a piece cut from an advertising piece/store display. I have not got to look at it in hand but with high resolution scans it looks like a copy of an original that was printed on a printing press. Just like an advertising piece should. I have seen other Jello cards cut from advertising pieces but never the Mantle. This card is about 10% smaller than the regular card. Anyone else ever seen a Jello display with the Mantle card showing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weirdmantle(1).jpg (76.6 KB, 267 views)
Old 09-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Michael Skiles

Default 1962 Jell-o Mantle

This appears to a real card from the 62 Jello set. It is trimmed far inside the borders which is why it may be smaller than it should be. The Jell-o advertising posters have Mantle in a batting pose with Yankee stadium in the background. The poster is large in red and white colors and does not have any facsimile card depicted on it.

Mantle is known to be on at least Apple Jell-o in 62.

I don't know if there was an advertising poster for the 1962 set. It was a test set purportedly released only in the midwest.

Here is a link to the 63 advertising panel.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1962...g-T_ldVnajM%3A

Last edited by skil55voy; 09-06-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:19 AM
Ben North

Here is a scan of it next to a graded example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantleX2.jpg (51.4 KB, 217 views)
Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Here is a scan of it next to a graded example.
Not sure what you have Ben, but pretty neat....maybe some of the Mantle collectors can identify it.

Is it me, or did SGC mis-identify the graded Mantle card as a "Post Cereal" card when it certainly appears to be the Jell-O version of the Mantle card?
Old 09-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Not sure what you have Ben, but pretty neat....maybe some of the Mantle collectors can identify it.

Is it me, or did SGC mis-identify the graded Mantle card as a "Post Cereal" card when it certainly appears to be the Jell-O version of the Mantle card?
I never even noticed the label, neither card is mine. Trying to help a friend. I found a few advertising pieces with the 63 Jello cards pictured but no Mantles or 62 cards.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:03 PM

Ben, SGC definitely misidentified the card; it is, for sure, a 1962 JELL-O. Then again, if the individual who submitted the card to SGC put on the paperwork "1962 Post Cereal", their people may not have noticed the error, and simply copied as correct.

I wish I could help with information on the smaller '62 Mantle. It is most unfortunate that it was cut off the advertising / store display. For one, the display would have been worth so much more in the potential information it might have disclosed, as well as money.

Being that the issue was indeed a test issue available only in the Chicago - Milwaukee area, any advertising pieces would be very rare. The 1981 Beckett Guide listed them as a regional. When I interviewed Larry Fritsch for my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, he confirmed the test issue nature of the '62 JELL-Os and that the area was Chicago - Milwaukee. Larry had a lot of first-hand experience with these, since he lived in Wisconsin, and worked on the railroad that ran each day from Milwaukee to Chicago. He stopped in stores in both areas! Earlier this year, Bob Lemke uncovered a press release from General Foods that was placed in an early May 1962 issue of THE SPORTING NEWS. Within that release, it specifically mentions the test-marketing in the Chicago area of individual JELL-O boxes with a baseball card on the back of the box.

It's hard to say whether JELL-O produced in-store advertising for 1962. The advertising store display piece shown was probably from the nation-wide JELL-O baseball card issue in 1963. Even though it was nation-wide, it is extremely rare today. Nearly all of those placards would have been tossed in the dumpster after the promotion ended back then.

Now, Dan Mabay, who I believe goes by the moniker, "Keepmeposted", is researching the 1962 JELL-O set for a book. Maybe he would know. Anyone know the gentleman, or how to reach out to him? I for one sure want a copy of his research book when it is completed. I don't care how much it costs.

Thanks for sharing this find---most interesting.

Hope you get an answer. Please share with us.

Question---does the rest of the ad piece that the Mantle was cut from still exist, in order to learn from it? Just wondering.

Best regards, Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 09-08-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Chris

Is the back of yours a dark brown in color?
Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Is the back of yours a dark brown in color?
Here is the scan my friend sent of the backs. It sold dirt cheap on eBay recently. He says it is thicker than a regular Jello card. If you or anybody else would like a 600 or 1200DPI scan of the front of it PM me your email and I will send one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantlex22.jpg (73.1 KB, 177 views)
Old 09-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Chris

I may be mistaken, but it looks to be of noticeably poorer quality than the genuine Jello advertising pieces. I know someone already posted a link, but below is an image of mine, which is massive and was cut down from a larger advertisement.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 09-07-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:29 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I may be mistaken but I'm fairly certain that is a modern fake. Some guy has been listing a number of "ad cards" on eBay that have the look of the back of that. Just my gut instinct on it so take it for what it is worth.
Thank you, I appreciate your opinion as does my friend. I am having him mail it to me so I can see it in hand. Do you have the eBay ID of the scammer.

Here is a link to the completed auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-JELLO-M...p2047675.l2557
Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Thank you, I appreciate your opinion as does my friend. I am having him mail it to me so I can see it in hand. Do you have the eBay ID of the scammer.

Here is a link to the completed auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-JELLO-M...p2047675.l2557
I edited my post as I didn't want to be too critical, particularly as you never know until you have these things in hand. I went back through eBay and don't see any of the crap promo cards listed. It was a little while ago and I cannot remember the guys name. All I remember is that it was bizarre what low value stuff was being faked--Holiday Inn items, etc. I doubt it is the same person that sold this one to your friend as his listing appears honest.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Ben North

Got the card from my friend Jerry today. Sad to report it is a cut out from a magazine or book and glued to the card stock with Elmers Glue.

After I received it I could tell it was printed on a printing press. Could also tell the white layer that card fronts are printed on was too thick on this piece. I emailed the owner and got permission to take it apart. The pictures are of the 2 pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mmmfront.jpg (58.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg mmmback.jpg (74.7 KB, 104 views)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Chris

Sad to hear your friend didn't do as well as he thought but very glad he didn't have more invested in it. Thanks for sharing the results!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:57 AM

Ben--

I am very sorry for you over what you hoped to be something special, but didn't pan out. I echo Chris's sentiments: thanks for sharing with us. Tough break, bro, but at least you know. Hang in there.

My book is still available if you want to read about these kind of cards and how special they are to some of us.

Regardless, hope you can get your dough back somehow.

Best regards, Brian Powell

PS--Ben, I see you're from South Dakota. I used to live there. That's a very special state to me. I met my wife there. As special as Mt. Rushmore is, her dear face is the best!!! Anyway, where in SD do you reside?

Last edited by brian1961; 09-13-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Ben North

Here is a prototype of a custom 1962 Apple Jello Box I am going to make for a friend. The box has the proper 3 OZ size printed on it but it is actually the size of a 4 OZ box. The "real" one will have the same cardboard as a real box and will also contain Jello. I like to make stuff that looks close to real but changed enough that it can't be passed off as real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg applemantleF.jpg (74.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg applemantleB.jpg (29.2 KB, 62 views)