NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default Graded means more valuable?

Posted By: Myron

What do you guys think about graded cards going for higher than market value?
Personally, I think it's ridiculous. To me, grading just assures the authenticity, not value of a card. For example, if a card is graded Ex by SGC and the market value for the card at Ex is $50, then I think the card should still sell for around $50. Why do people think the card is all of sudden more valuable just because it's graded? I'm really referring to what I see on E-Bay all the time. The only instance where I could understand a higher selling price is if the card is vintage and looks like it just came off the printing press.

Old 05-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Myron,

I think graded cards carry more value in similar grade as it gives you(or theoretically should give you) peace of mind that the card has not been tampered with. Undoubtedly there are many card experts on this board who for particular issues know more than the graders...but I would represent that the significant majority of collectors could not tell if a card had been trimmed, power erased or restored. For those collectors, they are better off buying graded cards.

Old 05-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Administrator

I see what you're saying, and I agree that a graded card should give you reassurance that it's real. But, that fact alone will only make me want to bid on the card, not shell out more bucks for it.

Old 05-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

And don't forget the pop report factor. High grade, low pop cards always pull more money then they should.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Higher price means "more valuable" by definition. So if graded means a higher price realized for an equivalent transaction and XYZ grading brings the most money for that card in that condition, then it is the most valuable by definition. Rarest? Not necessarily. But the marketplace always has and always will determine value. Is it fair or even wise to purchase accordingly? Actually, it doesn't matter. It just is.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 05-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Well, here's why graded cards are worth more: go buy ten raw cards advertised as NM on ebay and send them in to be graded; 2 will come back as PSA 7 and the rest are 5-6 or worse. So, a graded card deserves more money in an auction because the buyer is not getting defrauded (usually).

Old 05-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Look at the T206 common that was a PSA 11 and was bringing $6100. That card is few hundred to any real collector. These are the ones that will collapse one day. The people buying the label # and not the card are going to be sobbing.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

Nothing after 1985 should be slabbed. It's just ridiculous. From pack to slab in under a minute. And the prices that today's slabbed issues command is just way out of hand. Just crap in a plastic holder.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

rob so nicely stated. check this out http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=55928&item=5195827652&rd=1 with out that holder this card is worthless (ok 15 cents)

Old 05-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

I can't believe someone bought an overproduced "gem" card. And if it's going to be one of those, at least get a "gem" black-bordered card that are notoriously known for chipping.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Administrator

That is just sad.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

i've raised this question quite a few times myself as i'm getting back in the hobby .when i sold off my collection,grading was just getting started.

concentrating on hof's ,and lackng the expertise to spot a "skilled" alteration,i decided to call wayne varner of shoebox cards.after talking for nearly an hour he put my mind at ease about paying for graded cards.

to make a long story short i bought my first card in 15 years off wayne,a GAI 2.5 e90-1 mathewson that is in my mind ,a fantastic looking card.it also gives a rookie collector like myself peace of mind knowing that my good $ was spent on a legit card

as a former critic i feel when spending more then $100 for a card ,its the way to go.

scott

Old 05-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

I agree with Myron, 110%. Graded cards are somewhat of a joke. (see my response to thread about T206 Camnitz card).

best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 05-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Dan,

I consider myself a real collector but I collect solely graded cards. I do it primarily because I do not have the time or the ability to detect all the sophisticated alterations that are done to ungraded cards.

Moreover, I know a lot of passionate collectors who collect pre-war and post-war sets that I would define as real collectors.

Looking at the numbers of vintage cards being graded, I would say the movement to grading is dramatic--with the cards being bought ultimately by real collectors.

Not too long ago, a major dealer came on a private message board and said he only knew of two major dealers who did not alter cards. Providing the grading companies can catch this--sounds like a powerful argument for grading to me.

Dav

Old 05-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: WP

Jim,
How do you feel about the allegations of PSA grading large numbers of altered cards??

Old 05-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i find it hard to believe that a major dealer would say this! and what dealers would share that info with him? his circle of dealers is a den of thieves. sounds like scare tactics.also if true, that would just reinforce that high end graded cards that were altered, are getting past graders.no need to alter low end.

Old 05-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Administrator

WP,

Not very good. That is why I have tried so hard to get PSA to stregthen their grading but they take it as criticizing them and I get nowhere.

Dennis,

Its a major dealer and a veteran dealer and I know he has posted here.I think by alteration he included taking wrinkles and creases out of cards but I do not want to speak for him.

Dav