NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Julie

"It's hard enough to read Julie's posts that start in the subject area"...what the hell are you talking about? Isn't that where a nessage is supposed to start? Or do you mean TWICE when I left the title area empty exceot for "....." TWICE...

Twitchy today, aren't we?

Old 04-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: john/z28jd

The subject area is for the subject and Jay was also talking about the name area where alot of people start their message.Youre supposed to start the comments in the field for message text aka comment field. Even if you look at the words next to the boxes it says.

your name-self explanatory
your address also self explanatory
message title- thats the title of the message,not the first sentance of a message,otherwise it would say start you message here.It would also probably be a bigger box,or if it wasnt it would tell you the maximum amount of characters you can use.

Youre also responding to a thread that was closed after Leon said to take it offline if they wanted to continue.That means emails.Its because he wanted the thread to end there.He was "moderating" the board.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: leon

And thanks for helping me explain the message title thingy. "Thingy" is about as technical as I get.....regards

Old 04-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: jay behrens

Julie, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!! stop using the subject area for the start of your post. What you write would be so much easier to read and understand if you confined your writing to the box that says "Message Text". There is no need to type anything in the "Message Title" box once a thread has started. Reading half a sentence that makes no sense and then realizing you need to go back and look at the Message Title to find the start of your post get annoying. You have a good stuff share, but it hard to follow.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: mulliganbucksagain

murcerfan for folks coloring outside the lines.
..and let Julie enjoy free rein

...or at least give her a few do-overs (mulligans, as it were)

edited: for gestalt

Old 04-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

to have reader read the title as part of the message. I get tired of the samew title over and over on an 87-post thread, and I don't think the board has an especially large quota of morons. Yes,
"murcerfan" writes a lot of different things in the name area--but they're usually amusing.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Scott Forrest

...but what is the board's "quota" for morons? I propose setting it at 7% - no new morons will be admitted once that number is reached.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Judge Dred

federal standard that states that a board is supposed to consist of at least 10% morons in an effort to not offend the maroons?

Old 04-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

"Quota" technically could be a number rather than a percentage. It would be easier just to count the morons we currently have and set a limit of about 20 more. For additional morons to join, old morons would have to leave.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Maroons typically add lots of color to the conversation. Certainly we do not want to exclude persons of any color. Well, except maybe ... no, that color is ok too. But not colorless.

Too transparent.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Morons are federally regulated like 401k ira's. If we have too many of them the extra ones are given back to us at the end of the year. I think the mandate is about 8.5% (right between the 7-10)....regards

Old 04-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

While I am all for accepting only our fair proportional share of the moron population, since the board does not receive federal funding I don't think we can count on our elected officials force us to deal with more than we are willing to bear.

Since the board amounts to a dictatorship (benevolent, of course) our fearless leader can enforce any quotas he wants.

Just so we are all on the same page, the IQ scale below (somewhat dated) has been provided. If we're wanting to keep the moron population to a minimum, by definition we are trying to regulate imbeciles and idiots as well. But where should we draw the line?

140+ Genius or near genius
120 - 140 Very superior intelligence
110 - 120 Superior intelligence
90 - 110 Normal or average intelligence
80 - 90 Dullness
70 - 80 Borderline deficiency
69.01 - 69.99 MAROON
50 - 69 Moron
20 - 49 Imbecile
1 - 19 Idiot

Old 04-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

I'm guessing we have overreacted - it's probable that we are simply dealing with "aggressive dullness".

Old 04-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Jay Miller

cutoff is obviously the borderline deficiency members of the board.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: bkasel

on what people can complain about. Reading the posts aren't rocket science, and if you cant pick up that a sentence starts in the message title and continues on to the text region you may need some remedial studies classes.

To keep it baseball related I am only 5 cards away from completing the E95's which would be my first complete pre-war set. The kitty I'm setting aside for the Cobb grows larger each month!

Bill

Old 04-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

I don't need any remedial reading classes. It's called years and years of reading forums and being used to a certain convention of posting in forums. I've been on the internet longer than almost everyone here. I'd be very surprised if anyone here has been around longer. I got my first ISP in 1988 and had a lightnening fast 4.8kps modem. I'm used to the USENET (for those that don't know, this is a forums area that existed and still exists before web forums and is now pretty much overrun with trolls) format where once a once a subject title was creadted for a thread, it remained the same. It's hard to break old habits. I don't look at the subject of a response because I'm not used to the subject being changed.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I try to maintain my IQ below my waist size - mainly through consumption of beer. Its a close race. Baseball cards keep eating into my beer budget.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Judge Dred

local dealers on SportNet (part of CoinNet) back in 1989 and watched as the hobby put itself in self destruct mode for a while...

As far a bull boards go I kind of go with the flow and although it may be a little annoying when the subject line is used as a starting point for content I just go with it. I normally don't do that but I figured I'd get a little fun out of doing it for you this time... I didn't see maroons listed in the pecking order of who's who on the compiled smart list -

Old 04-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I've updated the chart!

Old 04-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: DJ

The world is full of genocide, abuse, corruption, murders, card trimming, war, famine, communism, Tom DeLay is pure sleeze and the discomfort of one's thread replies gets under your skin? A tad on the petty side, don't you think?

As a lurker for many, many years, I have adapted to Julie's threads and all you do is encourage everyone else who are 'anti-Jay', to begin their messages in this fashion as to annoy you.

DJ

Old 04-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Here is another thing to consider when you decide it's cute to start your message in the subject area, when you do that if someone is doing a search for Bid McPhee and you don't mention him by name in your post and deleted the subject with his name in it, you just eliminated your post from turning up in the search and you may have provided the nugget of info that person was looking. But becuase you think it's cute to start your message in the subject area, you info is lost to that person.

Jay

Old 04-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Zose who inseest on humor veel be destroyed!!!!

Old 04-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Iz Dat All

Old 04-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

1) I went to the dumbest grade school in the country (called "The Universioty of Chicago Laboratory School"). Of course, they were into all the latest things. Like the Stanford-Binet I.Q. test? Well, in the 6th grade, my best friend broke into the file where our I.Qs were kept, and discovered mine to be 170. Hey! GET A LOAD OF ME! I'M A SUPER GENIUS! It took me 25 years to remember that the U of Chi. Lab. Scbool had given us EXACTLY the same test 5 YEARS IN A ROW! (I remembered this while recounting to a friend a couple of the questions on it--which I still remember...)

The University of Chicago Super genius Test-Giving Laboratory School...

2) Krishna is one of the avatars of Vishnu--one of the forms he assumes when he shows up on earth to save the day. He is always painted as blue. When i asked, "Why is Krishna blue?" people would say "Because he is described as the color of a monsoon thunder cloud, and to contrast with his dead-white brother, Ballarama." Not good enough. I walked into the Resource Room, and asked, "Why is Krishna blue?" Someone sitting ast a computer punched up the Hare Krishna site, and came up with the followintg answer:

"Because he is blue! Do you expect us to paint him pink or brown, when he is blue?"

Old 04-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Josh K.

I dont know who on this board are morons and who are not, but I do know that this is the most retarded thread Ive read all day.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: DJ

Time for Leon to Lock This Down!

DJ

Old 04-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Gofer it Leon

Edited to add Bid McPhee in Message Title

Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: PASJD

a message in the title can be kinda creative. Not this one, obviously, but I have seen some pretty neat ones here. Doesn't bother me any if Julie or anyone else does it.

Old 04-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Just remember my brother is a dunderhead.

I do not see why people can not use the site the way it is set up. I personally have just decided not to read Julies posts but do like her pictures, kind of like a childrens book. By the way Julie's responses are not the only ones I choose not to read.

Lee

Old 04-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Bid McMulligan

..Now I are one

Old 04-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

I hadn't given it any thnought, till Jay started picking on me for starting it in the "title" space. Now I clearely remember seeing someone else do it, and thinking it was a good idea--saying what's on YOUR mind, not the starter of the thread's mind, right off the bat. In fact, I conscuiously copied him--but I can't remember who it was anymore, or if he's still a contributor to the board. But I do remember making a conscious decision to copy the form...

Here's one of the two questions on the Stanford-Binet I.Q.
test that i remember after--59 years! (remember, this is a test for a child): Q: What is funny about this sentence?
"Let that be a lesson to you," said the judge, as he sentenced the prisoner to death.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: steve k

I was given a choice today. Either continue reading this thread or have unnecessary root canal surgery done without anesthesia.

I made an appointment with the dentist.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Julie, I'm not picking on you. This whole thing was started because I was accused of not being able to understand what someone wrote. Well, of course I didn't understand it because the person decided to start their message where their name is supposed to go, thus an inmportant part of the message got lost. When you start your message in the subject area, or some other nonstandard place, an important part of your post is lost to me initially because I do not read the subject line in someone's response. I've been reading USENET for over 20 years, so it's not like it's an easy habit for me break. So the next time you get upset with me for misunderstanding what you wrote, realize that the problem probably lies with fact that you started your message in the subject area and not with my ability to comprehend what you wrote.

Jay

Old 04-20-2005, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Julie, You and I

There are those that are less fortunate.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Looks like we are all receiving "repeated sentences" from "the posting judge".

Old 04-20-2005, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

I am not going for the lock down on this thread but could we kind of put a sock in it? We all now know that Jay wants us to put our text where the text goes. That is not mandatory but sometimes can help folks. I too put the starting of a sentence in the title section sometimes...and sometimes I don't. I don't see it being that big of a deal either way.....back to cards pretty please.....btw, I think we can all adapt very well .....regards

Old 04-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Bailiff...whack his peepee

Old 04-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Old 04-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Whadya Say

Because of the years upon years of Jay's use of USENET, It is understandably apparent why he feels challenged grasping a different concept.
I totally understand the self appointed Town Criers grief.
However.
The Town Crier should not feel pregnant.
I know not about others, but as for me, I feel the torture of the Iron Maiden every time I try to decipher any of his presentations within the message text block.
It's not just the misspelling, most of us miss one occasionally, but in his case, it's like a mission in life.

It's almost like saying:
"Hey man, I don't give a damn if you can't make out my Taps, BUT, you have to do something about where you put your Words."

Consideration, is a two way street.

To the Town Crier:
Here's the deal.
You do something about the discovery of spell check, and I'll work on your name field problem.

I also agree with some on this board.
I find it extremely boring, seeing the same words in the Message Title field, 99 times.

Your humble servant,
Joe P.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Jay Miller

Clay of the chat board.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Joe, show me where the spellcheck button is and I'll fix my spelling. Otherwise, my spelling isn't going to improve much.

Jay

Old 04-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default Jay!

Posted By: Joe P.

What I do is, I use my e-mail Write Mail format to spell check my spelling.
My grammar, and the structure of same, was never my strong point.
For some reason, spelling was never a problem.
However, in my golden years, I find myself questioning some words.
Therefore, I keep a minimized Window of Write Mail handy whenever I question the word.
An example, I just checked the word minimized.
I was questioning a possible "s" instead of the "z".
To my surprise, that part was all right, but I had a "u" where an "i" should have been.
See what I mean.
You win some, and you lose some.
I'm always pleased when I guess right.
It only takes seconds, but you can't catch them all in the heat of the playing fields of Oxford.

Lots of luck, and I will leave the tempting use of the Name Field box to my Guru, .. MurcerFan.

Stay well,
Joe P.