NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2002, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default Question about this Christy Mathewson item (scanned)

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Hey! Y'all know that I'm a big fan of Christy. I have one item here that I have a question about. It is scanned below. I have a few of the 1930 Post Cereal Cards of Christy, but this one is unique. It's the whole sheet of all four characters, including Christy. They were all cut out of the box, but the four characters were not separated from one another. This is the only one I have seen like this, and I love it.

Question: I only use SGC, MINT, and PSA to grade and encase cards. None of them have a holder that will fit this particular item, it measures 7"H -x- 5"W. I would like to have it graded & encased by someone who does, but by a grader with a good reputation. Any suggestions? (Elliot...PRO doesn't count, so don't even go there! <grin>)

Old 06-19-2002, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Hmmm...for some reason, this system won't upload my jpeg image of this 1930 Post Cereal sheet. Oh well, I tried!

Old 06-19-2002, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ye Olde Me

There are three big grading companies in Tampa, FL: MINT, USA, and PRO. Are you related to Christy? You have the same name.

Old 06-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I have seen a couple complete sets on eBay in the pannel form like your cards, but they are scarcer than the individual cards. I usually find them in nonsport paper categories. The cards were originaly found on back of "40% Bran Flakes" boxes ca.1930. The set is known as the "Famous North Americans" set, and Mathewson is only baseball player. As far as a Co. that would grade it, I dont know of any (good ones) that grade large handcut panels like that. Good luck. Frank

Old 06-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john(z28jd)

Dan,did you realize that you had the same name as him?
I already knew you were related to him before i read that last post but still that was a great observation....christy mathewson was definitely the 2nd best pitcher ever,like we discussed briefly last night ...great person to be related to anyway

Old 06-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Please identify yourself before posting.

Thanks,

Elliot

Old 06-20-2002, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ye Olde Me

What that too personal a question? I simply asked if the young man has familial ties to the great C.M.

Dear "YOM" : As you well know, that is not all you asked, the rest was edited, that was the part that was left. As requested, please identify yourself or contact me. thx Elliot

Old 06-20-2002, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think the forum owner is just enforcing one of the rules that I agree with. Mainly we try to know who the folks are that we are speaking/debating with. That way everyone is accountable for their actions....that is all....best regards

Old 06-20-2002, 06:33 PM
Administrator

That was not too personal at all. I've jsut been slammed at work and not a lot of time to et back to the chat/bulletins. Yes, he is related. All the Mathewsons (that spelling, only one "t") can essentially be traced back to our landing in Narragansett Bay, RI, in the late 1500's. Christy was my grandfather's cousin, so he would be kinda like my grt grt uncle, perhaps once removed...I guess that's how it's phrased. I never got too much into the geneology thang...

But...back to ya, it was not too personal. I love talking about Christy and collecting his stuff. Anything of his you want to sell? <grin>