NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Broadway Rick Kohl has passed away

I received notication from the employee handling his on-line auctions that Rick passed away unexpectedly over the past week.

I know that not all collectors have a great opinion of Rick but he had always treated me right. When I started collecting vintage baseball cards in the mid-1980's (after a long stint collecting vintage coins), I responded frequently to Broadway Rick's Strikezone advertisements in Sports Collectors Digest. There was never a hitch, and the cards were always accurately described and graded (IMHO). Even after I moved on to vintage baseball autographs in the mid-1990's, Rick would occassionally have an autograph on eBay that I pursued.

My condolences to his family, employees, and collectors who benefited from his years long service.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 12-06-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 AM
pete ullman

They're dropping like flies? MY condolences to his loved ones.

Last edited by ullmandds; 12-06-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Rich Klein

Default RIP Rick

Anytime some one passes, someone is mourning. Condolonces to his family.

Rich
Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I also bought several items from Rick many years ago and never had any problem with him. My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I also had bought from him, off of ebay in the last few years, and had no issues. RIP Rick and condolences to his family and friends.

Last edited by Leon; 12-06-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Sam Lemoine

I dealt with Rick on a number of occasions when he was in Boynton Beach and he always was very friendly and honest with me. Very sorry to hear of this and my condolences to his family.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Jonathan Sterling

My condolences to His Family and Friends. Talked basketball a few times with Rick and Purchased often from his auctions and always with a outstanding result. Sad day for many.
J
Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Tom Boblitt

Bought from and sold to him a couple times over the years. Condolences to the family and friends.....
Old 12-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Condolences, prayers, best wishes, etc. to his family and friends.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Have bought from him over the years, my condolences to his family.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Rick Kohl

I first met Rick at the Willow Grove show in 1987. He was at the show to do some serious buying. My first impression of him of him was that he was a
"big" wheeler-dealer. He wanted to buy everything I had at my table.

Well, that didn't happen. But, in the years that followed we did do some nice deals. He certainly had the ability to acquire some very interesting stuff.

GOD Bless his soul....and, comfort his family.

TED Z
Old 12-06-2013, 11:38 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Rick was one of the first dealers I bought cards from. I never had an issue with him and I found him fun to deal with. My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace Rick.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:27 PM

My condolences to Rick and his family, friends. I also dealt with him and he was great to work with...

Ricky Y
Old 12-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Sorry to hear that, my dealings with him over the years had been very favorable. He purchased something from my eBay store a few weeks ago and it was a very smooth transaction.

Condolences to his family.

Jeff
Old 12-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

my condolences to Rick's family.

I liked Rick.

Kenny, the assistant at "We Buy Treasure" says they will be staying open and continuing to conduct business.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Ken Goldin

I am saddened by this news and my condolences to the family.
I dealt with Rick over 20 years ago, and then as I went into other areas of business hadn't spoken in 20 years (or more) until he called me 2 weeks ago congratulating me on the success of Goldin Auctions and said he wanted to start consigning. We received two very nice items from him last week. I am sorry to hear this news.
RIP Rick
Old 12-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Default A comment about the comments

I am not being sarcastic or facetious , but why is it that so many people on this site can slam individuals from here to eternity , and there is often not even an objection on the part of the "lurkers" to individuals being slammed, but as soon as the villain passes away condolences, prayers, and sadness is the order of the day.
It may be the way I look at death, (or life) but it seems totally hypocritical on the part of so many people. I too understand that people who cared for the deceased are grieving but I don't grasp emotionally how individuals here can rail against someone ad nauseum and then post all these grief-stricken comments and condolences to their family......after all, most here don't even know the family!
How can one express all this condolence stuff after calling people liars, cheats, frauds, and all the other names used so often.....my own belief system is that if I REALLY felt that way about someone, I am glad he died and I can't even grasp how I would care one iota about him/her or his family.
peace to all Bill Latzko
Old 12-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Barry Arnold

Default rick kohl

my condolences to his family and friends,

Barry
Old 12-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by forazzurri2axz View Post
I am glad he died and I can't even grasp how I would care one iota about him/her or his family.
peace to all Bill Latzko
I cannot grasp how someone can be glad that someone else has died. He may have cheated you, or whatever, and I can understand that someone could not care if it happened, but to take some implied measure of satisfaction that it happened is mind-numbing to me.

FTR, I am no way related to him, and my one transaction with him went flawlessly.

My condolences to his loved ones.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I too had never had a problem with anything I purchased from Rick but I always remembered that incident involving Monte Irvin so I certainly didn't go out of my way to deal with him. Regardless of what he did in life, anytime someone passes away and loved ones are left it is a day we should recognize the good that exists in everyone.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Fred

Wow Bill, that's pretty intense. I got hosed by BRSZ (I'm assuming this is the same Rick) in the past but that doesn't mean I wish he was dead.

At least you tell it like you see it. I'll never have to worry about wondering if what you say is how you feel when I see one of your posts - you just put it out there and call it like you see it! Sometimes that's refreshing, other times it's just a bit akward. No offense, really.

Death sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anybody except the butt head that outbid me on something I really wanted. Ok, I think I've crossed a line here because I've attempted to be humorous in a thread dedicated to someones passing, sorry if anybody's offended.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
....Regardless of what he did in life, anytime someone passes away and loved ones are left it is a day we should recognize the good that exists in everyone.
+1

Well said.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Rich Klein

Default Here is a couple examples of why some people

Had various issues with Broadway Rick

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3078735/#.UqJ87q_naM8

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=64583

Regards
Rich

P.S. I never had any dealings with Rick, but heard plenty over the years. However, since he is gone and not able to defend himself, you give your condolonces to the family and move on
Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 PM

Default clarification for those who misunderstood my post

I was IN NO WAY referring to Rick when I said I wish he died...I have had no personal knowledge or experience with his honety etc...I was saying that if someone cheated me , was a fraud liar etc I would wish they died and wouldn't care one bit about condolences for the family. I was objecting to all the condolences by so many people here on Net 54 when in the past so many here blasted him every time there was a post about him

I have been cheated terribly in the past by a few individuals and damn right , the world will be a better place when they die.

telling it like I see it
Bill
Old 12-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Bill. I am in 100% agreement with you. The man was a crook: he shilled auctions [admittedly, once he got caught] and preyed on elderly HOFers. Did I wish him dead? No. But will I pretend I give a rat's @$$ about his death? No. I also do not plan to offer condolences if Bill Mastro gets shanked in the prison shower.

As for there being good in everyone, that is Pollyannaish nonsense. The prisons are full of human cockroaches who have been nothing but a plague on society and world history is replete with villains who should have been smothered in their cribs as babies.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-07-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Todd Schultz

I did not know the man personally, although I bought cards from him over the years, as recently as a month or so ago.

I know he caused offense and injury to others, as have we all. It seems likely he also did some good in this world, for some people anyway. If not, that makes me sad rather than angry.

I will not judge him, and had he cheated me, I would like to think I would have forgiven him, at least now. My condolences to those who mourn him, and may he rest in peace.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Isn't this the doosh that scammed away Monte Irvin's HOF plaque?.. I'm atheist, so unconcerned about goin to Hell or being slandered as I decompose
Old 12-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Isn't this the doosh that scammed away Monte Irvin's HOF plaque?.. I'm atheist, so unconcerned about goin to Hell or being slandered as I decompose
Yes and ditto. Besides I'm not afraid of going to Hell; I've been married for 18 years. Hell would be like Club Med.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-08-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Maybe Rick will get lucky and God doesn't hate fraudsters?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Tough crowd. If I ever pass away and the board is still going I can only imagine you guys going at me . I personally have a philosophy that when someone passes away, unless they murdered or did egregious crimes (not petty thievery or other shenanigans) then I let them be and their petty sins go. But that is just me and obviously others feel differently. No one is perfect....and I am at the front of the not-perfect line .......
Old 12-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

isn't the Eleventh Commandment Thou Shalt Not Shill Bid?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:05 AM
pete ullman

I agree w/Leon on this one.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Fred

Peter, we will never know what the 11th commandment is. Didn't you see the movie "History of the World"? It clearly indicates/shows that the world was not presented with commandments 11-15....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-WdAwVg9c

Sorry if anybody is offended by the post....

Last edited by Fred; 12-08-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: grammar - not that it matters
Old 12-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Peter, we will never know what the 11th commandment is. Didn't you see the movie "History of the World"? It clearly indicates/shows that the world was not presented with commandments 11-15....

One of my favorite scenes from that movie!!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Not in anyway related to Rick's passing, but I believe this historic video is the first evidence of the creation of fine print used by attorneys. Of course, that part of the video, showing an attorney reassembling the pieces of the 11th commandment, has since disappeared.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Rich Klein

Default not to bring politics into this

but there were some very interesting reactions from "Conservatives" in response to Nelson Mandela's passing. Here is Newt Gingrich reasoned reply to them. Please note, this is a parallel to why some people are not mourning Broadway Rick, and all I'm doing is pointing out a comparision. I liked Leon's post, and agree with him.

http://www.gingrichproductions.com/2...conservatives/

Regards
Rich
Old 12-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Did Mandela shill his auctions too? I knew it.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Rich Klein

Default Jeff

I probably just gave you about an hours worth of phone calls from listeners for your next time on the air
Old 12-08-2013, 08:32 PM
K Farrell

I remember seeing Rick at the large Chicago shows and the National. He was a super salesman with lots of lights and glitz. He always had one or two hot gals working his table - could have been wife or employee, but but speculation was always surrounding possible new girlfriend. We set up across the isle from Strike Zone at one National and had a great view the whole weekend.

Worth noting that VCBC subscribers rated Broadway Rick as the number #75 dealer of the 81 that were rated in Purdy's 2004 very unscientific survey (Barry Sloate was ranked #33) - which is sort of a testament to Rick tactics. Strike Zone was also at the bottom of the 1997 survey. Interesting to see that top auction house in both surveys was Bill Mastro - so much for surveys.

Last edited by Wildfireschulte; 12-26-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 PM

Default Top Mark in my book

I find it more interesting that Mark MaCrae was at the top of the list, and would still be at the top of a similar list 17 years later.

My one transaction with Broadway was a very satisfactory one for me...a larger lot of Zeenuts with some incredibly nice surprises not advertised in the group. Rest in peace Rick, and for the rest of us, move along and do the right thing.

Brian
Old 12-09-2013, 04:06 AM
Barry Sloate

#33....whew, tough crowd.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 AM
David Pierson
Banned

I detest when politics and/or religion rear their ugly heads. Mods are quick to nip the political statements in the bud, I only wish they would stop people posting all the religious crap too.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I find it more interesting that Mark MaCrae was at the top of the list, and would still be at the top of a similar list 17 years later.
Absolutely agree, Mark is one of the best dealers out there and a heck of a nice guy to boot! He's been a great help with our start-up SoCal show. Not to mention he sold me one of my holy grail cards:

Or not...
Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I detest when politics and/or religion rear their ugly heads. Mods are quick to nip the political statements in the bud, I only wish they would stop people posting all the religious crap too.
As usual, what the he** are you talking about? I don't see any religious stuff going on but if someone mentioned God or something it's not the end of the world. There should be no mention of politics or religion on the board but if someone said something like "May God let him rest in peace"...then that is not going to be stopped. Get into a religious discussion and see how long it lasts...

And if it is because someone casually mentioned the 10 commandments, same thing....get over it.

Last edited by Leon; 12-09-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 AM
David Pierson
Banned

May Satan and The Flying Spaghetti Monster bless you all. You see MY mythology is just as valid as anyone's.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
May Satan and The Flying Spaghetti Monster bless you all. You see MY mythology is just as valid as anyone's.
You have a good point. However, I don't think we would want this place to become sterile? Members know not to debate politics or religion. thanks....
Old 12-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Fred

Maybe he just didn't see the video.....
Old 12-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I didn't see any mythology posted, but I do see some nonsensical rubbish.

Back to the thread at hand. I am somewhere between Adam and Leon on this subject. I don't agree that Rick did some minor bad stuff that can be equated to what "we all do". No, we don't all do it. Yes, condolences to his family.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:41 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I thought the Mel Brooks video was funny. It was just a Jew poking a little fun at his own religion. I'm Norwegian-American and all good Norwegian families in the Midwest own a Norwegian joke book and laugh at themselves. "How do you sink a Swedish submarine? Give it a Norwegian crew." "How do you sink a Norwegian submarine? Knock on the door."

I thought some of the other comments could have been saved, since Rick just died. As they say, there is a time and a place. The other stories are available elsewhere, and I don't know what he was like away from the hobby. He may have been a fine fellow otherwise. I hope we all have lives apart from eBay. Which doesn't mean I think everyone is required to say fake glossy thoughts or nothing bad should have been mentioned. I never dealt with him, though am familiar with the stories, so have no personal comment other than RIP.

The ultimate in karma: Your Net54 thread after you die. Be good, ship quickly, volunteer at a food pantry.

Last edited by drcy; 12-10-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
the world was not presented with commandments 11-15
Commandments 11-15 were only distributed as limited numbered refractor inserts in random hobby packs of 2013 Topps Update.